Titan submission

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
It is interesting to note that this was inefficient, angling your rocket up to move the apoapsis forward. In general, to prevent wasting your fuel you should be as prograde as possible.
Please show me some example line, what would be correct take off trajectory. Something as crude as this would suffice:
1675570891999.png
Or just tell what would be optimal apoapsis number when i switch between my first stage and second stage, or when i switch between 2nd and 3rd stages. It could be inaccurate numbers, just to illustrate what you consider the best path - i will try it then and tell you what the results were.

Because from the start of playing this game that was my presumption too - having less difference of angle with prograde should be better. Until i made some tests and geometrical calculations, which showed that "inefficient angling" above atmosphere (since below it makes too much extra drag) makes the best performance for take off trajectory and allows to upload maximum payload to orbit, much more than "efficient angle" allows to brings to orbit.

I just took not optimal trajectory in this video - more optimal would be to put apoapsis around 90-100 km initially at the moment of detaching first stage, and then second stage will put it higher, to allow final (weak) third stage to have best conditions. While in this video apoapsis was only at 85 km when first stage detached. And still even this brought 218 tons of payload to orbit at Realistic level. With ideal take off line (with SAS mod), using "inefficient angling" allows to bring 225 tons to orbit with the same launcher.

But where apoapsis would be is kind of random, because i don't use SAS mod for this challenge, and have to manually adjust rocket's angle during take off, which randomly throws apoapsis either too high either too low - and that can bring apoapsis anywhere from 70 to 130 km after first stage ends. :) Thus i decided that 85 is okay, since if i try again it might be even worse. :D
You can avoid that in this particular case by getting a higher apoapsis before the first stage burns out. What you lose in extra gravity losses you should more than gain back by not burning off-prograde to stop yourself from falling back down.
For example, when i try to avoid this and get much higher apoapsis before third stage fires, to have "efficient angle" in the wholw flight - i will bring to orbit only 210 tons or even less. While the best line with "the most inefficient angle" brings 225 tons with the same starting launcher.

That is why i very much like to see how the line correct line with efficient angle looks likes, at least a crude example/picutre, or apoapsis numbers.

If you are interested, i will show you two main factors, which shows why "inefficient angle" becomes more efficient in the end, maybe you will find a mistake in my analysis.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
In what way is it custom?
I had to use custom world, which is identical in respect of math to default world. It was necessary to avoid that nasty game bug, which ruins videos.

Please tell if this world is okay, i want to record my Mission to Mars in this word too.

Here is the link to this word: True Scale and Distance Solar System (TSADSS) FULL RELEASE
Look at it in the Mission to the Moon video in this part: from 26:55 to 27:55.