VanillaUpgrades

NeptuneSky

Modder
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
This thread is for the VanillaUpgrades Steam mod. The purpose of this mod is to add tons of quality of life features the vanilla game ought to have, or even re-implement features the game used to have that were removed.

Some notable features include:
  • Greatly increased zoom-in/movement limits of the camera in world/build views.
  • New cheats for time slowdown/freezing and physics timewarp up to 25x.
  • Scrolling for part picker categories.
  • Advanced info display, real time world clock/timewarp length.
1696800003999.png
1696800026373.png
  • Reimplementation of "Exit to Main Menu" button, because having to press "Exit" twice to get back there is annoying.
  • Tons of new keybinds, including hiding UI, toggling windowed mode, toggling torque for your rockets, and lots of minor QoL stuff.
  • More units to condense the huge numbers certain readouts can have.
  • And lots more! A complete list of features can be found here: VanillaUpgrades Wiki

This mod is made to be extensively customizable, the majority of features can be disabled or tweaked. The only ones that aren't are mainly common sense items that nobody would realistically want to disable, such as scrollable pick categories.

Click here for a direct download of the latest version of VanillaUpgrades:
GitHub - VanillaUpgrades Latest Release

Latest Supported Game Version: v1.5.10.2

Current Release: v5.1.7

Current Beta Release: None.

Installation instructions:
  1. Download the latest DLL.
  2. Use the "Open Mods Folder" button in-game.
  3. Drag and drop the DLL into the mods folder.
  4. Restart the game.
Here is the GitHub repo where you can view the source code:
Github - VanillaUpgrades

This mod is untested on Mac. Use at your own risk.

Last edited:

EmberSkyMedia

PicoSpace Industries
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Copycat
Registered
F2 to hide UI is glitchy... I turned it on and quit the game and when I turned the game back screens were dim and the Build/Game UI's where still hidden. Could not turn back on via F2. Had to delete "Config.txt" from the "ASoD's VanillaUpgrades" and restart the game to be able to use F2 to get the UI back again... very odd.

NeptuneSky

Modder
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
F2 to hide UI is glitchy... I turned it on and quit the game and when I turned the game back screens were dim and the Build/Game UI's where still hidden. Could not turn back on via F2. Had to delete "Config.txt" from the "ASoD's VanillaUpgrades" and restart the game to be able to use F2 to get the UI back again... very odd.
It works by just setting ui opacity to 0%, it relied on a bug in the old version where ui opacity wasn't saved and was always reset to 100% on launch. Guess it's patched now, will use a less bad solution.

NeptuneSky

Modder
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
v3.1 out now, ported to new modloader, and also working on the opacity bug. It's proving to be more annoying than I thought it would be. For now if you exit without unhiding the ui you can just change the slider from the main menu, or open the game and spam f2 to fix it.

Last edited:
one question where do i put the mods? they changed the folder and now there is a mod folder and inside the custom assets but i dont know where to put mods

NeptuneSky

Modder
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
one question where do i put the mods? they changed the folder and now there is a mod folder and inside the custom assets but i dont know where to put mods
Inside the mods folder, but outside of custom assets.

NeptuneSky

Modder
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Uploaded hotfix v3.1.1, fixes a bug where the opacity value in Config desyncs from the vanilla setting and causes windows to not show.

NeptuneSky

Modder
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
v4.0 has been released!
- Major back-end rewrite. Lots of noob code scrapped.
- Mod now uses the new game-provided mod UI instead of OnGUI.
- Major Config rework. Majorly improved GUI (courtesy of Cucumber Space) as well as file format rework. Old config file will be broken, expect an error as it will be reset to defaults on opening the game.
- Removed toggle for all shake effects as it is now a vanilla option.
- Removed dV calc. It's cool but a lot of work I'm not willing to do right now.
- Removed window color setting. It's extremely ugly with the new UI. I might readd it in the future with preset colors but honestly it looks really good as is so don't count on it.

NeptuneSky

Modder
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
v4.0.1 is now out, fixed bug with custom units that caused a game-breaking issue for people whose countries use commas as decimals.

NeptuneSky

Modder
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
I've unpacked the zip file but I can't find the dll and the mod doesent work, can someone help me?
The DLL is in the folder you see right when you open the zip. Don't take it out, just copy the whole folder to the mod folder.

EmberSkyMedia

PicoSpace Industries
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Copycat
Registered
Would be nice if there was a keybind to adjust your thrust to TWR to 1 (or maintain TWR =1) which would be useful for landing when fuel consumption keeps causing the TWR to creep upwards and throttle controls are not fine enough.

NeptuneSky

Modder
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
v4.1 is now out!
- Fixed a few errors
- Keybind for opening part category menu
- Changed window scale to use a slider
- Changed default keybinds for toggling symmetry/interior modes

_K4tana_

Man on the Moon
Registered
Hello,
I’ve been using this mod ever since I first installed the pc version of SFS and I have some improvement ideas you could consider adding.
- Delta V readouts
- Dry Mass/Wet Mass of the rocket
and I also agree with @EmberSkyMedia’s idea of a TWR hold function. Even if these don’t get added, it’s still a great mod. Keep up the good work!

NeptuneSky

Modder
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Hello,
I’ve been using this mod ever since I first installed the pc version of SFS and I have some improvement ideas you could consider adding.
- Delta V readouts
- Dry Mass/Wet Mass of the rocket
and I also agree with @EmberSkyMedia’s idea of a TWR hold function. Even if these don’t get added, it’s still a great mod. Keep up the good work!
Mod used to have a manual dV calculator, any kind of automatic readouts would be extremely annoying and difficult because of needing to manually figure out what the rocket's stages are. Lots of weird shit and edge cases would make it pretty inaccurate.

I suppose I might be able to calculate the dV of a stage by making you select the parts in it though

_K4tana_

Man on the Moon
Registered
Mod used to have a manual dV calculator, any kind of automatic readouts would be extremely annoying and difficult because of needing to manually figure out what the rocket's stages are. Lots of weird shit and edge cases would make it pretty inaccurate.

I suppose I might be able to calculate the dV of a stage by making you select the parts in it though
Yeah, I think that could work. It’s just annoying having to plug in the dry mass of the whole rocket and draining all the fuel just to calculate delta v.