What if time paradoxes are not possible?

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
That'd be a real time paradox, Apollo had already been around the moon before N1 was ready for its first crash flight. To beat the US, the Russians would've pretty much had to make that first flight a full lunar return mission and damn the consequences.
or fly the cosmonaut on zond spacecraft but what if in reentry it manage to land below 20g's and almost accurate landin in indian ocean...
(welp zond will be in the moon vicinity but not in the surface)
then another what if zond 8 flew with 1 or 2 cosmonauts secretly until they reached the moon and says Hey Murica we First on Mun then NASA will go fast until somethin bad happens again.....

I for one believe that there's at least one single living creature that would perceive our entire universe as a crumb, and thus consume it with ease. And I'm not even joking this time.
But it will take a googleplex of years to reach his mouth

String theory is a theory that strings could be a theory if they could be measured, but they can’t so it’s just a bunch of romper room math with no actual string theories attached, just some hypotheses with no known ways to even begin testing them

a Law is something conclusively provable,

a Theory is something backed up by overwhelming evidence but for some quirk in reality or some shortcoming of present technology can’t quite be conclusively declared a Law but it damn well predicts 99% of every test thrown at it,

a Hypothesis is a guess made by someone with serious credentials that a third party would bother throwing money at, it may be on the right track and even helpful in the short term but is probably very wrong

proving Hypotheses wrong is about 99% of science

My bet is that there is either only one Universe which would be bewildering to my reasoning, or there are infinite Universes but we will never have any way of observing them which I somehow find less bewildering, but I have no serious credentials

Cresign

Spiller of the Milky Way • Rocket Gluer
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
And its all just started as my silly theory... WOW

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
String theory is a theory that strings could be a theory if they could be measured, but they can’t so it’s just a bunch of romper room math with no actual string theories attached, just some hypotheses and theories that seem to fit data collected but can't be proven.

a Law is something conclusively provable and becomes the basis and ruleset for further hypothesis and theories

a Theory is something backed up by overwhelming evidence but for some quirk in reality or some shortcoming of present technology or thinking hasn't quite been conclusively declared a Law proven yet but it damn well predicts 100% of every test thrown at it or it's proven wrong and replaced for something new.

a Hypothesis is a guess made by someone with serious credentials that a third party would bother throwing money at anyone. It may be on the right track and even helpful in the short term but is probably very wrong or it could be wrong. Though it may be wrong, every law was once a theory which were once hypotheses

proving Hypotheses and theories right or wrong is 100% of science

My bet is that there is either only one Universe which would be bewildering to my reasoning, or there are infinite Universes but we will never have any way of observing them which I somehow find less bewildering, but I have no serious credentials
And the reason it's less bewildering is simple. Why, if there is an infinite universe, is there not infinite universes? If a thing is infinite, then all things are infinite, because that's how infinity works.
And it's less bewildering because you're smart enough to know just now big infinite is and just how difficult it'd be to see beyond that. Which is something you don't need to be Big Brain to imagine and hypothesise about.

JSP

The Lord President of Gallifrey.
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Lehman,"hello there"
1FF29E3A-412E-4582-A054-975CAD44331D.jpeg

Cresign

Spiller of the Milky Way • Rocket Gluer
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
General Legman
Bebol2.jpg

And the reason it's less bewildering is simple. Why, if there is an infinite universe, is there not infinite universes? If a thing is infinite, then all things are infinite, because that's how infinity works.
And it's less bewildering because you're smart enough to know just now big infinite is and just how difficult it'd be to see beyond that. Which is something you don't need to be Big Brain to imagine and hypothesise about.
I stand by a theory only needing to predict upward of 99% of the time, thinking say Newton’s theory of gravity which is generally spot on but couldn’t nail the relativistic anomaly of Mercury and such things

And my tongue in cheek suggestion of 99% of science is disproving hypotheses is to draw attention to the fact that most ideas are wrong, nailing down a new theory is the diamond in the rough so to speak;
Not at all to suggest that 99% is a waste, science just requires a lot of indirect bother like everything else, failure is the first step toward success...or something

And then really, sci-fi writers and conspiracy wackos don’t qualify to make hypotheses, they make BS for fun;
Scientists have standards

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I stand by a theory only needing to predict upward of 99% of the time, thinking say Newton’s theory of gravity which is generally spot on but couldn’t nail the relativistic anomaly of Mercury and such things
Ish. Theories can't be almost or slightly correct. They're either 100% right, or they're altered to become 100% right when evidence of being wrong is presented. Newton being slightly off with Mercury throws off the entire theory and once the errors are corrected, that will become the accepted method and they won't use Newtons version.

And my tongue in cheek suggestion of 99% of science is disproving hypotheses is to draw attention to the fact that most ideas are wrong, nailing down a new theory is the diamond in the rough so to speak;
Not at all to suggest that 99% is a waste, science just requires a lot of indirect bother like everything else, failure is the first step toward success...or something
I wasn't suggesting you'd said it was a waste. My point being that all science exists to further ideas through constant testing. And it's not a bad thing that even the greats are having their work constantly evaluated and broken as more ideas / technology / time gets thrown at the problem.
My example are things like the standard measurement units. A kilogram is accepted as 1000grams and has been for a very long time, but the exact definition has very recently changed to become much more precise. Same with the metre, second etc. This isn't because they were wrong, but because they're too ambiguous for the level of precision that we're working with in the 21st century and needed tying down to the nearest atom or multi-millionth of a metric.
A bad idea isn't a waste of time, as long as someone is learning and any kind of experimentation, done even at the lowest level, is still hypothesis > theory > law.
Example.
Hypothesis: testing an electric fence by licking it is a bad idea
Theory: the sign says that fence is electrified. So I will test if it is, using my tongue.
Results: got fucking shocked by the electric fence.
Conclusion: Horus' first Law of Electric Fences. licking a live electric fence is a bad idea.

Is that a waste? Possibly. Did someone learn a valuable lesson? Absolutely.
There are less...extreme...examples (like the ones you did in school to prove the boiling point of water) that weren't pushing the boundaries of science but proved to you that took the claim in a book/from a teacher/from a sign and proved it for you, moving that statement from a theory to a fact.

And then really, sci-fi writers and conspiracy wackos don’t qualify to make hypotheses, they make BS for fun;
Scientists have standards
I don't believe that should be the case. Sci fi writers and wackos can absolutely make hypotheses and theories and I don't see why not.
Flat Earthers can make all the hypothesis and theories they want. The trouble with them isn't the ideas, it's the inability to accept the results of their experiments and other external data that prove their theories wrong.
And what's wrong with sci-fi? Everything we take for granted today was science fiction at some point. Granted, things like warp drives and light adaptive camouflage are a bit far fetched, but they're not designed to be accurate. They're plot devices and nothing more. Gene Roddenberry wasn't making a design for realistic FTL, he just needed a thing to get his cast from place to place in the galaxy to have adventures without taking 50 years to cross between systems. Predator gives zero explanation on how it turned invisible. It just could, cos it needed to be the perfect hunter, hunters wear camouflage and the perfect camouflage is being invisible.
And yeah, someone can come along later and add some things to how these devices might work (i have a full explanation on how the sublight engines on the Sulaco "worked" from the Aliens tech manual) but it being fiction based to start doesn't invalidate a theory on how it could be achieved until it is tested.

Ish. Theories can't be almost or slightly correct. They're either 100% right, or they're altered to become 100% right when evidence of being wrong is presented. Newton being slightly off with Mercury throws off the entire theory and once the errors are corrected, that will become the accepted method and they won't use Newtons version.

I wasn't suggesting you'd said it was a waste. My point being that all science exists to further ideas through constant testing. And it's not a bad thing that even the greats are having their work constantly evaluated and broken as more ideas / technology / time gets thrown at the problem.
My example are things like the standard measurement units. A kilogram is accepted as 1000grams and has been for a very long time, but the exact definition has very recently changed to become much more precise. Same with the metre, second etc. This isn't because they were wrong, but because they're too ambiguous for the level of precision that we're working with in the 21st century and needed tying down to the nearest atom or multi-millionth of a metric.
A bad idea isn't a waste of time, as long as someone is learning and any kind of experimentation, done even at the lowest level, is still hypothesis > theory > law.
Example.
Hypothesis: testing an electric fence by licking it is a bad idea
Theory: the sign says that fence is electrified. So I will test if it is, using my tongue.
Results: got fucking shocked by the electric fence.
Conclusion: Horus' first Law of Electric Fences. licking a live electric fence is a bad idea.

Is that a waste? Possibly. Did someone learn a valuable lesson? Absolutely.
There are less...extreme...examples (like the ones you did in school to prove the boiling point of water) that weren't pushing the boundaries of science but proved to you that took the claim in a book/from a teacher/from a sign and proved it for you, moving that statement from a theory to a fact.

I don't believe that should be the case. Sci fi writers and wackos can absolutely make hypotheses and theories and I don't see why not.
Flat Earthers can make all the hypothesis and theories they want. The trouble with them isn't the ideas, it's the inability to accept the results of their experiments and other external data that prove their theories wrong.
And what's wrong with sci-fi? Everything we take for granted today was science fiction at some point. Granted, things like warp drives and light adaptive camouflage are a bit far fetched, but they're not designed to be accurate. They're plot devices and nothing more. Gene Roddenberry wasn't making a design for realistic FTL, he just needed a thing to get his cast from place to place in the galaxy to have adventures without taking 50 years to cross between systems. Predator gives zero explanation on how it turned invisible. It just could, cos it needed to be the perfect hunter, hunters wear camouflage and the perfect camouflage is being invisible.
And yeah, someone can come along later and add some things to how these devices might work (i have a full explanation on how the sublight engines on the Sulaco "worked" from the Aliens tech manual) but it being fiction based to start doesn't invalidate a theory on how it could be achieved until it is tested.
I wasn’t meaning to talk at you in any particular way, just trying to explain my intended perspective;
Proving hypotheses wrong is like weeding the garden trying to consolidate sure and useful knowledge from uncertainty, indeed it’s gotta be done and is in fact what the work is

My angle on the Hypothesis>Theory>Law language is that these terms are best preserved in official discourse as strict scientific terms, not that anyone can’t emulate the scientific method which is always a good idea or use whatever language they like in casual conversation which is no bother, but used in professional news media, politics and such they ought to be used with integrity;
“Oh, that’s just a Theory”, no, a Theory is serious shit representing a whole lot of heavy effort by a lot of smart people over decades or centuries...or on the other side people hanging “Theory” on some claptrap they pulled out of their ass to sway an audience, ‘Why, it’s the domino theory of course and it threatens your way of life and you need me to stop it!’

I can say I’m hypothesisen on what’s getting into the chicken coop and going all Grendel in the night, but my hillbilly neighbor is libel to come to distrust that sort of fancy language so I best just say I’m trying to figger it out

just to go on...
Laws are rather rare mostly because absolute proof is such a dodgy thing and requires very tight parameters, if I’m not mistaken by my creative memory Kepler has Laws because they are based on simple geometry/calculus that allow relativity to be directly computed while Newton has a Theory because it has to be altered to accommodate relativity;
Both are perfectly useful still and always will be while the Hypotheses of Ptolemy and Copernicus are flawed though they were part of an array of indispensable stepping stones

We gotta depend on solid theory to move forward, uncertainty is certain, but the better we vet the hypotheses, the more certain our theories and the smoother and more productive the way will be