Project Le Verrier

Injection burn from LNO: 3043 m/s
Insertion burn to LPO: 128 m/s
Actually I plan to execute a departure burn from high elliptical Neptune orbit, in this case the apoapse should be around the height of Nereid's orbit, and the periapse will be using your value of 20km above Neptune's atmosphere.

Does that mean the escape burn will only cost less than 100m/s?

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Actually I plan to execute a departure burn from high elliptical Neptune orbit, in this case the apoapse should be around the height of Nereid's orbit, and the periapse will be using your value of 20km above Neptune's atmosphere.

Does that mean the escape burn will only cost less than 100m/s?
If I refer to the previous calculated value, it may cost... 5 m/s :oops:
That's surprisingly low, but maybe that's because I didn't consider the same altitude before (90 km instead of 100 now). But it shouldn't be a high value in the end, so yes, provided your orbit is properly oriented it should be very cheap in the end.

Horus Lupercal
The mothership's design phase is around 80% complete. Actually its 3 motherships in one plus some other cargo pods for other experiments I wanna try out once at Neptune, 2 smaller ships to explore the moons and 1 main ship as the deliverer of all the needed cargo and to care for 12 crew members.

The link below is the crew section orbital assembly plan:
View attachment POSEIDON.png

The most important part of the ship by far is the crew module, for crew health and happiness.

You can't spell "Mother" without "Love and Care". To ensure the maximum comfort for the 12 crew members for an approximately 12 year journey in order to remain psychologically and physically healthy;

1) The main mothership will have 2 large Habitation Modules (around 700m^3 living volume each) with personal quarters for each member (116 m^3 per person; 8m diameter x 2.3m height). You won't be feeling much claustrophobia here.

2) There will be 3 EDEN Modules, 1 will be used to replenish or maintain the ship's oxygen supply throughout the journey. 2 will be used to replenish the ship's food supply by growing various kinds of vegetables to ensure our astronauts receive a full spectrum of vitamins during their voyage. (P.S. I might make some nutritional mistakes here, cuz Im not a nutritionist)

The EDEN modules are also responsible for scrubbing CO2 from the air and cleaning drinking water. It also has a state-of-the-art food processing system to preserve all harvested food, it is also equipped with advanced robotics that will tend to the crops and plants while the crew are under "deep sleep".

Available Crops Variety:

Leaf lettuce (Thin to 3 plants/ft. of row) 8 ft. [24 lettuce per person, 96 ft for full crew] (29m)
Onion (4 sets/ft. of row) 12-20 sets [12 onion per person, 144 for full crew, 36 ft] (11m)
Peas (6 plants/ft. of row) 15-20 plants [180 for full crew, 30 ft] (9m)
Potato (1 plant/ft. of row) 10 plants [120 for full crew, 120 ft] (37m)
Tomato (1 plant/2 ft. of row) 2-4 plants [24 for full crew, 48 ft] (15m)

Available Oxygen Replenishment Plant Variety:

Epipremnum aureum (24 inch sep. per plant) [Can grow 828 plants per module]

3) A Recreational Module and artificial gravity wheel. It contains mainly entertainment and exercise for 6 crew members at a time and is used according to each member's work schedule to prevent overcrowding. The modules includes:
- 1 gym (inside the wheel, important to prevent bodily degradation)
- 1 cinema
- 1 library
- 1 canteen (can be re-purposed as a games room so the crew can mingle and play board/card/video games together)
- 2 cupolas (offers a 360 view of space, expect awesome views of Earth & Neptune through these.)
- 1 immersion chamber (also inside the wheel, this chamber replicates the sensations of living on Earth for those who are homesick, a few examples are thunderstorms, rain, sea breeze, cherry blossoms, a walk in the Autumn forest)

4) A Hypothermics Module to significantly reduce the metabolism rates of all 12 crew, this significantly reduces the amount of life support supplies needed, it is also possible that this reduced metabolism will slow down aging. This module also places the crew under a medically induced coma so they do not have to experience the great passage of time.

However, they will not be kept in this state all the way till Neptune. The hypothermics module does not prevent bodily degradation due to microgravity, and the ship's automated systems can only do so much to maintain the ship by itself. Throughout the journey, within 3 year intervals, the crew will awaken from their slumber to undergo:

1) artificial gravity therapy (working out at the gym to maintain or attempt to regain lost muscle and bone mass)
2) intensive nutrition to maintain muscle and bone mass,
3) perform full IVA ship inspection and check in with ground control
4) perform full EVA ship inspection to check for FOD
5) practice depressurization, fire and hazardous substance leak drills

This awakening period will last for anywhere between 8-10 weeks before the crew will return to their deep slumber.

(Controversial subject ahead): In the event of an emergency, the ship's systems will force the crew awake by injecting powerful stimulants and rapid warming of the crew's bodies. This may sound very unpleasant, but is needed when events that cannot be handled by the ship's systems occurs or requires the crew's decision, say a severe hull rupture or a fire that destroyed many crucial components needed for the mission.

Speaking of the ship's automated crew protection systems, it will be capable of:
- Automatic course correction, both casual or emergency.
- Pressure monitoring, in the event of a hull rupture, the computer will shut off all access leading to the affected module and jettison it from the ship. It will then re-assemble itself, check the seals, and reopen the hatches, at this time the crew will be awoken to assess the situation and decide if that module is worth repairing or salvaging.
- Internal temperature monitoring, to detect fires or possible insulation failure.

5) The Laboratory Module. Actually, the laboratory is more than just a lab. It has an infirmary (self explanatory), a multipurpose airlock (for EVAs or for sticking experiments into the vacuum of space) and a dual commercial deep space microsat deployment section (might as well earn a quick buck from this mission).

The infirmary bay is also equipped with a UV light therapy chamber, to provide the crew with artificial sunlight to prevent Vitamin D deficiency, which will heighten the risks of developing cancer.

Last edited:
Horus Lupercal
The mothership's design phase is around 80% complete. Actually its 3 motherships in one plus some other cargo pods for other experiments I wanna try out once at Neptune, 2 smaller ships to explore the moons and 1 main ship as the deliverer of all the needed cargo and to care for 12 crew members.

View attachment 32101

The most important part of the ship by far is the crew module, for crew health and happiness.

You can't spell "Mother" without "Love and Care". To ensure the maximum comfort for the 12 crew members for an approximately 12 year journey in order to remain psychologically and physically healthy;

1) The main mothership will have 2 large Habitation Modules (around 700m^3 living volume each) with personal quarters for each member (116 m^3 per person; 8m diameter x 2.3m height). You won't be feeling much claustrophobia here.

2) There will be 3 EDEN Modules, 1 will be used to replenish or maintain the ship's oxygen supply throughout the journey. 2 will be used to replenish the ship's food supply by growing various kinds of vegetables to ensure our astronauts receive a full spectrum of vitamins during their voyage. (P.S. I might make some nutritional mistakes here, cuz Im not a nutritionist)

The EDEN modules are also responsible for scrubbing CO2 from the air and cleaning drinking water. It also has a state-of-the-art food processing system to preserve all harvested food, it is also equipped with advanced robotics that will tend to the crops and plants while the crew are under "deep sleep".

Available Crops Variety:

Leaf lettuce (Thin to 3 plants/ft. of row) 8 ft. [24 lettuce per person, 96 ft for full crew] (29m)
Onion (4 sets/ft. of row) 12-20 sets [12 onion per person, 144 for full crew, 36 ft] (11m)
Peas (6 plants/ft. of row) 15-20 plants [180 for full crew, 30 ft] (9m)
Potato (1 plant/ft. of row) 10 plants [120 for full crew, 120 ft] (37m)
Tomato (1 plant/2 ft. of row) 2-4 plants [24 for full crew, 48 ft] (15m)

Available Oxygen Replenishment Plant Variety:

Epipremnum aureum (24 inch sep. per plant) [Can grow 828 plants per module]

3) A Recreational Module and artificial gravity wheel. It contains mainly entertainment and exercise for 6 crew members at a time and is used according to each member's work schedule to prevent overcrowding. The modules includes:
- 1 gym (inside the wheel, important to prevent bodily degradation)
- 1 cinema
- 1 library
- 1 canteen (can be re-purposed as a games room so the crew can mingle and play board/card/video games together)
- 2 cupolas (offers a 360 view of space, expect awesome views of Earth & Neptune through these.)
- 1 immersion chamber (also inside the wheel, this chamber replicates the sensations of living on Earth for those who are homesick, a few examples are thunderstorms, rain, sea breeze, cherry blossoms, a walk in the Autumn forest)

4) A Hypothermics Module to significantly reduce the metabolism rates of all 12 crew, this significantly reduces the amount of life support supplies needed, it is also possible that this reduced metabolism will slow down aging. This module also places the crew under a medically induced coma so they do not have to experience the great passage of time.

However, they will not be kept in this state all the way till Neptune. The hypothermics module does not prevent bodily degradation due to microgravity, and the ship's automated systems can only do so much to maintain the ship by itself. Throughout the journey, within 3 year intervals, the crew will awaken from their slumber to undergo:

1) artificial gravity therapy (working out at the gym to maintain or attempt to regain lost muscle and bone mass)
2) intensive nutrition to maintain muscle and bone mass,
3) perform full IVA ship inspection and check in with ground control
4) perform full EVA ship inspection to check for FOD
5) practice depressurization, fire and hazardous substance leak drills

This awakening period will last for anywhere between 8-10 weeks before the crew will return to their deep slumber.

(Controversial subject ahead): In the event of an emergency, the ship's systems will force the crew awake by injecting powerful stimulants and rapid warming of the crew's bodies. This may sound very unpleasant, but is needed when events that cannot be handled by the ship's systems occurs or requires the crew's decision, say a severe hull rupture or a fire that destroyed many crucial components needed for the mission.

Speaking of the ship's automated crew protection systems, it will be capable of:
- Automatic course correction, both casual or emergency.
- Pressure monitoring, in the event of a hull rupture, the computer will shut off all access leading to the affected module and jettison it from the ship. It will then re-assemble itself, check the seals, and reopen the hatches, at this time the crew will be awoken to assess the situation and decide if that module is worth repairing or salvaging.
- Internal temperature monitoring, to detect fires or possible insulation failure.

5) The Laboratory Module. Actually, the laboratory is more than just a lab. It has an infirmary (self explanatory), a multipurpose airlock (for EVAs or for sticking experiments into the vacuum of space) and a dual commercial deep space microsat deployment section (might as well earn a quick buck from this mission).

The infirmary bay is also equipped with a UV light therapy chamber, to provide the crew with artificial sunlight to prevent Vitamin D deficiency, which will heighten the risks of developing cancer.
I will get to the main dish of this challenge later. Trident and Opportunity.

The Trident section will consist of only scientific cargo for the exploration of the Neptunian systems and Neptune itself. This is where the 2 mini motherships are attached.

The Opportunity section only consists of highly experimental research equipment that is brought along just to test it out, and equipment that are meant for nearby places of interests outside of Neptune (like the Pluto telescope I mentioned before I was banned).

Once I get all my payloads figured out, I will calculate the total fuel I need and we'll be ready to begin construction.

Last edited:

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Welcome back dude.

View attachment POSEIDON.png
Trademark Cosmo attention to detail, fucking love that you've blueprinted the entire set up. This genuinely looks awesome.
Shit with the amount of second tier solutions here, you could submit this to an actual agency as a workable plan.

I will get to the main dish of this challenge later. Trident and Opportunity.

The Trident section will consist of only scientific cargo for the exploration of the Neptunian systems and Neptune itself. This is where the 2 mini motherships are attached.

The Opportunity section only consists of highly experimental research equipment that is brought along just to test it out, and equipment that are meant for nearby places of interests outside of Neptune (like the Pluto telescope I mentioned before I was banned).

Once I get all my payloads figured out, I will calculate the total fuel I need and we'll be ready to begin construction.
I do like that you've split the science cargo into 2 sections, the must for mission success and the lets go one step further. You're building a Pluto telescope then?

I will calculate the total fuel I need
You going ion or chemical? And a separately launched drive section? If you need, give me payload weights/Dv/local gravity (if applicable) and i can work out the fuel/engine combinations for you per section

You're building a Pluto telescope then?
yep, i mean we're already on the second last planet in the system, not paying a visit to the last one while we're at it is just criminal.

You going ion or chemical?
"Nuclear electric", so its ion. Too bad there's no NERVA engines in the game :(

And a separately launched drive section?
oh you mean the other two mini motherships? I can handle it, its no problem. I also havent finalized the scientific instruments for the science sections, so I can't really produce the mass.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Ha! In real world terms, broadsword is better in vacuum because what you lose in ISP, you gain in lower dry mass advantage.
And even that is shit.
Im speaking of the design, but the final performance stef gave it was an insult.

What's your mission Dv total?
First, according to Altair's math, I need 1498m/s to get to Neptune, and the same amount to come back. And then aerobrake at Neptune until high elliptical orbit so its free parking there. So a 2 way ticket costs 2996 m/s, let's give it 3500m/s to be safe.

Second, according to my math for the Neptune moon system explorer (except triton as it will be handled by the colony crew), I just copy pasted all my shit from the planning list because Im lazy, here it is:

[With lander and equipment] Inter-celestial transfer delta velocity: 560 197 199 = 956 m/s
TDv Leeway: 1200 m/s

[With lander and equipment] Inter-celestial insertion delta velocity: 191 173 149 179 = 692 m/s
TDv Leeway: 1000 m/s

[Only Shuttle] Mothership rendezvous transfer from Thalassa delta velocity: approx. 937 m/s
TDv Leeway: 1100 m/s

TDv needed: 3300m/s
Final TDv Leeway: 4000 m/s

Third, is the delta velocity for the triton colony shuttler, I already know the delta V needed to get to Trition but havent figured out the amount I need to rendezvous to the mothership yet.

Fourth, The stupid pluto telescope thingy, codenamed "Mickey the Dickey", the delta v is provided by Altair.

For Low Neptune Orbit, I assumed an altitude of 100 km above Neptune's "surface", or 20 km above atmosphere limit. For Pluto, I assumed an altitude of 10 km.

Orbital speed:
- in LNO: 7357 m/s
- in LPO: 286 m/s

I remember him saying I only need less than 10 m/s because I am parking my main ship at high elliptical orbit. So that brings the cost down to around 300 m/s, which sounds too good to be true.

Im speaking of the design, but the final performance stef gave it was an insult.

First, according to Altair's math, I need 1498m/s to get to Neptune, and the same amount to come back. And then aerobrake at Neptune until high elliptical orbit so its free parking there. So a 2 way ticket costs 2996 m/s, let's give it 3500m/s to be safe.

Second, according to my math for the Neptune moon system explorer (except triton as it will be handled by the colony crew), I just copy pasted all my shit from the planning list because Im lazy, here it is:

[With lander and equipment] Inter-celestial transfer delta velocity: 560 197 199 = 956 m/s
TDv Leeway: 1200 m/s

[With lander and equipment] Inter-celestial insertion delta velocity: 191 173 149 179 = 692 m/s
TDv Leeway: 1000 m/s

[Only Shuttle] Mothership rendezvous transfer from Thalassa delta velocity: approx. 937 m/s
TDv Leeway: 1100 m/s

TDv needed: 3300m/s
Final TDv Leeway: 4000 m/s

Third, is the delta velocity for the triton colony shuttler, I already know the delta V needed to get to Trition but havent figured out the amount I need to rendezvous to the mothership yet.

Fourth, The stupid pluto telescope thingy, codenamed "Mickey the Dickey", the delta v is provided by Altair.

For Low Neptune Orbit, I assumed an altitude of 100 km above Neptune's "surface", or 20 km above atmosphere limit. For Pluto, I assumed an altitude of 10 km.

Orbital speed:
- in LNO: 7357 m/s
- in LPO: 286 m/s

I remember him saying I only need less than 10 m/s because I am parking my main ship at high elliptical orbit. So that brings the cost down to around 300 m/s, which sounds too good to be true.
If I seem to be typing like a complete fucking retard, its because I am tired as hell and its 1 AM now. Let me know if logic shit hits the turbofan.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Fuck yeah, the fuel budget for that using liquid fuel would be enormous.

Just getting Poseidon back from Neptune would take over 450t of fuel

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Fuck yeah, the fuel budget for that using liquid fuel would be enormous.

Just getting Poseidon back from Neptune would take over 450t of fuel
So far you're using numbers that can be carried by one rocket. :D

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
So far you're using numbers that can be carried by one rocket. :D
That's just one way. From Neptune. To get Poseidon and a 468t fuel tank to Neptune is another 866t fuel tank.

Still, within the realms of a single lift. But that's just the crew to Neptune and back. That's not including the science modules, mothership, landers etc for the Neptune expedition being delivered and moved throughout the Neptune system and the additional equipment for Pluto.
Another 7 thousand m/s of fuel.

T

TtTOtW

That's just one way. From Neptune. To get Poseidon and a 468t fuel tank to Neptune is another 866t fuel tank.

Still, within the realms of a single lift. But that's just the crew to Neptune and back. That's not including the science modules, mothership, landers etc for the Neptune expedition being delivered and moved throughout the Neptune system and the additional equipment for Pluto.
Still doable :) but, it would take a few launches unless you .bp edit the shit out of that build space.

By lift, do you mean launching its aluminium bitch ass to low earth orbit, or from Earth to Neptune. I hope its not the first one. It's like putting all your eggs in one basket and throwing it across 20 storey building to your grandma's apartment and hoping your calculations are correct or it'll fall short and plummet to the ground, and most likely get arrested if that basket hits someone down there.

Also, this terminology goes both ways. Im doing it for the ship, cuz its convenient.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Still doable :) but, it would take a few launches unless you .bp edit the shit out of that build space.
Ha, anything is do-able. It's realistically do-able that's the problem.

By lift, do you mean launching its aluminium bitch ass to low earth orbit, or from Earth to Neptune. I hope its not the first one. It's like putting all your eggs in one basket and throwing it across 20 storey building to your grandma's apartment and hoping your calculations are correct or it'll fall short and plummet to the ground, and most likely get arrested if that basket hits someone down there.

Also, this terminology goes both ways. Im doing it for the ship, cuz its convenient.
Those numbers are just to/from Neptune from LEO

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
How exactly is this a must for success?
Trident contains everything you require to complete the mission. Hence, it's a must-go-load for mission success.
Opportunity is the lets go one step further, the opportunist to collect extra data whilst you're already on the other side of the solar system.

Trident contains everything you require to complete the mission. Hence, it's a must-go-load for mission success.
Opportunity is the lets go one step further, the opportunist to collect extra data whilst you're already on the other side of the solar system.
I thought its just a way to make things easier to manage.

Horus Lupercal I also forgot to post this for ages already, few months back I think.

Main mission contract parameters:
• Determine the existence and depth of an ocean on Triton, and characterize its cryovolcanism [To be done by: Manned Surface Laboratory]
• Characterize Triton’s surface chemistry [To be done by: Manned Surface Laboratory]
• Characterize the composition, structure, and dynamics of Triton’s atmosphere [To be done by: Manned Surface Laboratory]
• Better characterize the range of ages of Triton’s surface units [To be done by: Manned Surface Laboratory]
• Determine the size of Neptune’s core (To be done by: An orbiter, which will double as atmospheric probe's relays)

Additional mission parameters:
• To determine the compositions, seismic dynamics and properties of the rest of Neptune's moons. [Shuttler and Lander]
• Sample return from all moons.
• EVA experiments. Airlocks will be mounted on both the shuttler and main mothership to allow EVA experiments in
near-Neptunian conditions.
• Opportunity commercial equipment. To welcome other space agencies to conduct their own experiments by constructing
their own microsatellite to be launched from one of our pods, there are 2 pods in total. Located on the laboratory module within the Poseidon section.
• Opportunity scientific equipment. A Mercury astronomy & exploration suite, to be deployed from the Poseidon mothership
once in orbit around Neptune.
• Opportunity experimental scientific equipment. Turbo ramjet powered unmanned Neptune atmosphere sample return aircraft.

Opportunity scientific equipment. A Mercury astronomy & exploration suite, to be deployed from the Poseidon mothership
once in orbit around Neptune.
My mistake, in theory there will be 4 motherships in total (3 mini, 1 main), the last one is unmanned however, to carry all the equipment needed for a Pluto mission.