Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Altaïr is it possible to calculate the needed delta velocity to land and return to low orbit around each moon?
The orbital velocity of each moon is (as per the standard pack at 5000m orbit)

Salacia - 1337
Thalassa - 13.91
Larissa - 14.14
Proteus - 49.61
Triton - 318.86
Neried - 14.04

As far as I'm aware, they're all airless rocks so you're going to need at least these numbers to take off into orbit, landing is however good you are at suicide burns but again you'll need at least these to land, probably add a 10% buffer on top for fudge

Salacia - 1337
Thalassa - 13.91
Larissa - 14.14
Proteus - 49.61
Triton - 318.86
Neried - 14.04

As far as I'm aware, they're all airless rocks so you're going to need at least these numbers to take off into orbit, landing is however good you are at suicide burns but again you'll need at least these to land, probably add a 10% buffer on top for fudge
Forgot about this, thanks. Damn, they're tinier than I expected.

Thanks for Horus' numbers, I can finally proceed with the lander. Since the required delta V's are so small, no lander refuel is required since it already carries up to 1300m/s which is more than enough.

Testing and optimizing the lander, this is one of the first few prototypes:
Screenshot_20191214_172318_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg

Shrunk cockpit and explored possibility of carrying additional scientific cargo (Pack Mule):
Screenshot_20191215_122645_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20191215_123621_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator[1].jpg

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend

Salacia - 1337
Thalassa - 13.91
Larissa - 14.14
Proteus - 49.61
Triton - 318.86
Neried - 14.04

Right, Salacia...

Is Salacia needed for the challenge?????

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Altaïr is it possible to calculate the needed delta velocity to land and return to low orbit around each moon?
Horus already answered, and I can't say better. I remember I found a differential equation that could lead to the strict minimal delta-V expense (taking into account the loss due to gravity), but it can't be solved analitically. It also depends on lots of parameters, Isp, Thrust/weight ratio... and unlike for most equations in that kind of problems, mass is variable too. A true nightmare o_O
So the best is still to rely on practice and take a margin indeed.

Altaïr Hi, do you know the delta V to get from low Neptune orbit to low Pluto orbit?

I have a very special cargo to send there. You know, since we'll be around Neptune, which is conveniently right next to Pluto.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Altaïr Hi, do you know the delta V to get from low Neptune orbit to low Pluto orbit?

I have a very special cargo to send there. You know, since we'll be around Neptune, which is conveniently right next to Pluto.
Ah, I'll try to calculate that. I'm on holidays right now and I don't have access to my calculation file, but for a single value it should be fine.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend

Ok done.

For Low Neptune Orbit, I assumed an altitude of 100 km above Neptune's "surface", or 20 km above atmosphere limit. For Pluto, I assumed an altitude of 10 km.

Orbital speed:
- in LNO: 7357 m/s
- in LPO: 286 m/s

Injection burn from LNO: 3043 m/s
Insertion burn to LPO: 128 m/s

Tell me if you need something else!

Ok done.

For Low Neptune Orbit, I assumed an altitude of 100 km above Neptune's "surface", or 20 km above atmosphere limit. For Pluto, I assumed an altitude of 10 km.

Orbital speed:
- in LNO: 7357 m/s
- in LPO: 286 m/s

Injection burn from LNO: 3043 m/s
Insertion burn to LPO: 128 m/s

Tell me if you need something else!
Thanks.

Horus Lupercal I have 2 side missions I intend to execute upon the arrival to Neptune.

One is a nuclear ramjet powered Unmanned Neptune atmospheric sample return aircraft. I am not confident that this will work, nor is it realistic.

The second one is a large 6m telescope to be installed on the surface of Pluto, it will be accompanied by dedicated nuclear reactor for all its power needs, 2 mini landers to explore the 2 moons and one relay/survey sat.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Horus Lupercal I have 2 side missions I intend to execute upon the arrival to Neptune.

One is a nuclear ramjet powered Unmanned Neptune atmospheric sample return aircraft. I am not confident that this will work, nor is it realistic.

The second one is a large 6m telescope to be installed on the surface of Pluto, it will be accompanied by dedicated nuclear reactor for all its power needs, 2 mini landers to explore the 2 moons and one relay/survey sat.
Nuclear ramjets. I love it.

I wonder what a scope on Pluto would see, especially on the dark side, looking out of the system

I wonder what a scope on Pluto would see, especially on the dark side, looking out of the system
Well most importantly, its stupid cold, that'll make the thermal sensors significantly more sensitive. That means it can see distant celestials with greater clarity, like a deep space Owl.

If you're on the dark side, a wider aperture will give you a damn bright view of the night sky. It should be gorgeous.

Nuclear ramjets. I love it.
I chose nuclear ramjets initially because its mainly consisting of hydrogen, 80% approximately, which worked with NERVA. But I could also do a "reversed turbojet", whereby we feed oxidizer like oxygen gas into the engine instead of atomized kerosene, and we burn the hydrogen gas from the atmosphere as fuel.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Well most importantly, its stupid cold, that'll make the thermal sensors significantly more sensitive. That means it can see distant celestials with greater clarity, like a deep space Owl.

If you're on the dark side, a wider aperture will give you a damn bright view of the night sky. It should be gorgeous.
Aye, exactly that. You've not got the sun, or an atmosphere to blur the shots, no thermal blooming at sunrise/set. Hell, an enormous digital spectrum collector going from thermal to visible light, beamed back here and ran through some computers would look awesome.