Project Le Verrier

Tsk tsk, you'll never got your grant funding by being that cagey about the goals.
Usually you'll be cagey when your final goals are lackluster, you know, by bringing it below the given 5. If you'll be kind enough to give the list and assembly technical a second glance, you'll find I've given Horus more than what he asked for.

And there's still more to come. Much much more.

Off topic, but Im passionate about this scene. Space worthy crew no matter if they're red or blue, are the most level headed people you'll ever meet, so seeing this scene where the cosmonaut and astronaut are tense about one another with the cosmonaut readying a hammer to strike the other would just be low key propaganda.

I bet both men would be excited to see one another, and would be curious to know what their spacecrafts look like, and how they got here (this might not happen because their hardware would most likely be classified material). What are the odds of you being able to see a Soviet cosmonaut in America, or an American astronaut in the Soviet Union? Let alone on the lunar surface? I don't think they'll fuck up the opportunity by tearing at each other on sight.

T

TtTOtW

Off topic, but Im passionate about this scene. Space worthy crew no matter if they're red or blue, are the most level headed people you'll ever meet, so seeing this scene where the cosmonaut and astronaut are tense about one another with the cosmonaut readying a hammer to strike the other would just be low key propaganda.

I bet both men would be excited to see one another, and would be curious to know what their spacecrafts look like, and how they got here (this might not happen because their hardware would most likely be classified material). What are the odds of you being able to see a Soviet cosmonaut in America, or an American astronaut in the Soviet Union? Let alone on the lunar surface? I don't think they'll fuck up the opportunity by tearing at each other on sight.

Yeah that's total bullshit.

Horus Lupercal I wonder if I should bring the sample return aircraft back to Earth after its mission. Because during my aircraft maintenance training, I was taught by the head engineer to look out for a type of rusting called Hydrogen Embrittlement, where the cracks and pittings caused can lead to serious structural integrity hazards if not dealt with soon. This can happen to titanium and aluminium.

Since Neptune is mostly consisting of hydrogen, it would be interesting to find out the effects of hydrogen embrittlement in a superheated environment, like say during atmospheric entry.

The link below is the crew section orbital assembly plan:
View attachment POSEIDON.png
So poseidon is around 230 meters in length, its almost half the height of Taipei 101. Bloody hell.

I wonder how long it'll end up with all other modules installed. ISS is only half of poseidon.

1580569559768.png

You misunderstand. I'm agreeing with you, not questioning your decision to divide the groups up.
No its fine, Im happy with being questioned.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Horus Lupercal I wonder if I should bring the sample return aircraft back to Earth after its mission. Because during my aircraft maintenance training, I was taught by the head engineer to look out for a type of rusting called Hydrogen Embrittlement, where the cracks and pittings caused can lead to serious structural integrity hazards if not dealt with soon. This can happen to titanium and aluminium.

Since Neptune is mostly consisting of hydrogen, it would be interesting to find out the effects of hydrogen embrittlement in a superheated environment, like say during atmospheric entry.
If you've got the fuel for it, why not? Especially the effects of it from a supercold to superheated state as well.

So poseidon is around 230 meters in length, its almost half the height of Taipei 101. Bloody hell.

I wonder how long it'll end up with all other modules installed. ISS is only half of poseidon.
The whole thing is gonna be enormous once it's all assembled. It's gonna look epic

To improve on realism, I'm going to fully declare my fleet:
Local fleet:
- SLS (w/ Block 2 upper stage)
-Delta IV Heavy
-Delta IV Mod-C (fictional cheaper alternative to the heavy, uses twin 4-stage variant of the SLS solid rocket booster)

Foreign fleet:
- Angara-100 (Russian super heavy launch vehicle still in proposal, will be used to launch the heavy fission reactors that will be manufactured in Russia by ROSATOM)

Note: All ship parts fabricated abroad by Europe will be flown into the US to be launched by NASA, the main propulsion and power units that will be developed by Russia's ROSATOM will be launched by ROSCOSMOS in order to share the load.

Altaïr I would like to double check some values.

The flight path for one of the motherships targeting Triton is as follows:
1- The ship detaches from the mothership at high elliptical Neptune orbit, apoapse to be below Nereid, periapse to be between Neptune and its closest moon.
2- Burns to enter Triton capture and low orbit.
3-Burns to leave Triton to redock with main mothership in high elliptical Neptune orbit.

Transfer trajectory to Triton: 118 m/s

Satellization around Triton: 539 m/s

[Only Shuttle] Mothership RDV transfer from Triton delta velocity: approx. 230 m/s

TDv needed: 1426 m/s
Final TDv Leeway: 1600 m/s

Is the total Dv needed correct?

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Noted. I'll do it tonight, I'm at work right now.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Ok, I finished my homeworks :p

But I have values quite different from yours, so I'll try to be as explicit as possible to make sure there's no misunderstatement...

So you start from a high elliptical orbit around Neptune. I considered the periapsis being at 25000 km (below the closest moon), and the apoapsis at Nereid level.
So from there you burn from the apoapsis and put your ship on a Hohmann transfer trajectory to Triton right? That burn costs 64 m/s from my calculation. Then insertion in Low Triton Orbit will cost 230 m/s. Double that to take into account the return part. If you intend to land on Triton, orbital speed around Triton is 313 m/s and its gravity 0.78 m/s2.

In the end, the transfer part will cost 2×(64+230) = 588 m/s, way and back.

Maybe you based your calculation on my previous estimations? Be careful because the transfers "from moon to moon" were supposed to start from moon orbit, and to end in moon orbit. Here this is different as you start from Neptune orbit.

Is that what you needed?

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Thanks. But why would you think of using the apoapse? Wouldn't it be more natural to use the periapse since its the most efficient?
That's the same logic as a bi-elliptical transfer, it can be very efficient too. I use this a lot to visit the higher moons of Jupiter. But I'll make the calculation as you say, so we can compare the result, that's still the best way to see which one is more efficient. It depends a lot on the situation.

That's the same logic as a bi-elliptical transfer, it can be very efficient too. I use this a lot to visit the higher moons of Jupiter. But I'll make the calculation as you say, so we can compare the result, that's still the best way to see which one is more efficient. It depends a lot on the situation.
Oh wait, now that I've drawn it out it made sense. So its like circularizing into a geostationary orbit.

Another one of my concerns regarding circularization around moons is the spacecraft's thrust to weight ratio and the transit time before the spacecraft leaves the moon's SOI.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Another one of my concerns regarding circularization around moons is the spacecraft's thrust to weight ratio and the transit time before the spacecraft leaves the moon's SOI.
Because the circularization impulse wouldn't be instantaneous? Unless your TWR is very low (if you use ion engines for example) the loss of delta-V is largely covered by taking a small margin.

Because the circularization impulse wouldn't be instantaneous? Unless your TWR is very low (if you use ion engines for example) the loss of delta-V is largely covered by taking a small margin.
If my eyes are working properly, I have only 9 ion engines thrusting a 400 tonne vehicle.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
If my eyes are working properly, I have only 9 ion engines thrusting a 400 tonne vehicle.
Oh, I didn't think you actually planned to use ion engines. I rarely use them as I consider them overpowered.

9 ion engines for 400 tons, this represents an acceleration of 0.54 m/s2, so for 230 m/s (insertion in Low Triton Orbit), it requires approximately 7 minutes of burn time. You'd have some delta-V loss indeed, but it's hard for me to tell how much... The good news is that because of their high efficiency, the additional fuel consumption would be rather low.
Insertion in LTO is manageable by starting your insertion burn a few minutes before reaching the periapsis, but leaving is a bit tricky... Either you do this in several steps (by ellongating your ellipse more and more each time you reach the periapsis until you can leave), or you first put your ship on a higher orbit around Triton (your ship will be slower and will stay much longer in the transfer window, and you'll need less delta-V once you're there).
First method is more efficient but requires some anticipation. It should be manageable though, because this moon is on a high orbit, so the launch window won't shift too much during your maneuvers...

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Ah, this should be easier, because after all the cargo is released and its time to leave Triton to rejoin with the main ship, the whole craft would shed around 200 tonnes of mass. So the new dry mass would be around 100 tonnes excluding fuel.
Ah, it makes things easier indeed. If the mass ship is halved, so is the burn duration, so you could nearly leave normally.