Search results

1. Johnkurveen

I did a thing

The rocket Slide it over a bit And done
  2. Johnkurveen

Anti-Challenge: Moon Ring

As one of the few people who has made a structure fully encompassing a stock body, using stock parts and stock cheats, I am declaring an anti-challenge. What that means: It is possible to surround a stock body with a spacecraft (only for Phobos and Deimos), but since I have done it, I am...
  3. Johnkurveen

DeltaV to Orbit

We've had many challenges before, but I wanted to post a new one (In part because I'm looking for some data :D) Challenge: Get to LEO with minimal delta-v. Place your spacecraft in a 35km x 35km orbit (+-5km, difference <7km). Once completed, provide the following information: IF SSTO...
  4. Johnkurveen

Skyscraper

I got bored. Oh, and it was actually really hard to knock over. Yep, that's it.
  5. Johnkurveen

The Tyranny of the Rocket Equation

Many of us have heard that phrase from NASA or other space enthusiasts, but what does it mean? NOTE: I'll explain the rocket equation first. If you are familiar with it, you may want to skip down to the second part of the post- SSTOs. The rocket equation, also known as the Tsiolkovsky Rocket...
  6. Johnkurveen

Spacecraft Design Optimization

A few weeks ago, I posted a program I had written in C that will help you design a stage with the best delta-v per mass possible. As precise and accurate as the program is, I found it to not be very practical, and I didn't even use it for my own spacecraft. However, that was never the point. I...
  7. Johnkurveen

Spaceship Design Program

Hello everyone. Over the past weekend, I've been working on a program to help me build optimized spacecraft. It's written in C, since that's the only language I know well, and it's about 400 lines of code. Here's the beta version; feel free to let me know if there are any bugs, issues, or...
  8. Johnkurveen

The Epic Tour (One Last Hurrah)

Many of us have heard of the Grand tour, which was when the Voyager 2 probe visited all of the gas planets in our solar system. This is different. This is the Epic Tour. I set out to land on every solid astronautical body available in the solar system. I'm still using the stock game, so the...
  9. Johnkurveen

Lunar Orbital Platform-Gateway

What are your thoughts on the Lunar Gateway? What are the benefits to having this gateway? I think most people don't realize it will take extra fuel and time to use it, but this community understands orbital mechanics, hence why I'm posting. (artist's impression- from Wikipedia)
  10. Johnkurveen

Fastest Mission to 500m

Here's the challenge: Fly a capsule to 500m above your starting location and back down to a safe landing. No cheats, file editing, staging, docking, or damage to ship. I'm not sure how you can time it. Ideally, a video would be best.
  11. Johnkurveen

So, you thought you knew how to calculate delta-v...

Groundbreaking discovery! We are all wrong (Ok, unless someone else has already tested this and I just missed the boat (And please bear with me- I'm a bit tired so my writing takes a turn toward the dramatic)). As an engineer, I love to test the world around me (science) to see what is possible...
  12. Johnkurveen

Alpha Centauri

In my last post, I shared a design for a high delta-v rocket that I made in the stock and f2p version of the game. At the end of my post, I jokingly said my next target is Alpha Centauri, and I've turned it into a simple challenge instead. Alpha Centauri is 4.37 light years away, or 4.13e+13...
  13. Johnkurveen

Venus Direct

Hey guys, I thought this post wouldn't be as long as my last post, Venus Express, but... yeah. Anyway. IT IS POSSIBLE!!!! Launch from earth, land on Venus, launch from Venus, recover on earth in one mission, WITHOUT the expansion! I took the ship I was using, Venus Express, and modified it...
  14. Johnkurveen

Venus Express

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm brand new to this form but I wanted to make a post. I found that this game is great fun, but gets boring. Solution? Do crazy things and challenges, and what is more challenging than landing on Venus and returning? I made this ship, Venus Express, which is now...