Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
OK, I've heard you liked the Voyager quest? Here is more Voyager quest... in realistic!!! :eek:
Of course, I won't take into account the mass limit, otherwise I couldn't even reach orbit.

I've calculated everything I needed, and I'll need to assemble a ship in orbit from 3 launches. So here is the first launch:
01-VoyagerPart1.jpg 02-VoyagerPart1Liftoff.jpg 03-VoyagerPart1Flying.jpg 04-VoyagerPart1Orbit.jpg
And since I have more fuel than expected, I'll assemble on a 500*500 km orbit:
05-VoyagerPart1NewOrbit.jpg

Now the second part:
06-VoyagerPart2.jpg 07-VoyagerPart2Flying.jpg 08-VoyagerPart2Rdv.jpg 09-VoyagerPart2Assembled.jpg
A pair of external tanks - they are not perfectly symmetrical, but it should be fine.

And finally, the part with the probe:
10-VoyagerPart3.jpg 11-VoyagerPart3Flying.jpg

The final ship, a beautiful 2-stages ship with a pair of side tanks for additional fuel:
12-VoyagerAssembled.jpg

I want no comment about the form of the ship! I swear it wasn't intentionnal!
Now the stressing part, let's do the trip:
13-StartTrip.jpg 14-DropBalls.jpg

This is where I am when the main stage is exhausted:
15-MainTankExhausted.jpg

Then I start burning the last stage - it takes a really long time for that single Valiant to burn those 50+ tons of fuel (we are in realistic, don't forget):
16-LastStageStart.jpg 17-Practically.jpg 18-EndBurn.jpg
those 4553 m/s will come in handy. I'll really have to search for an explanation for that ΔV thingy, I never noticed it before very recently...

And finally:
19-Escape.jpg

Finally! Eccentricity is above 1, all good!
In the end, this needed in total... 4948.72 tons and 3 launches!
I was not sure I was going to do it, one moment I felt the stress every player had when trying this quest o_O

Wait, I found that in my mods list! I don't remember this, anyone noticed that before?!
20-WTF.jpg

That may explain a few things...

Pheonix A

Moon Maker
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
OK, I've heard you liked the Voyager quest? Here is more Voyager quest... in realistic!!! :eek:
Of course, I won't take into account the mass limit, otherwise I couldn't even reach orbit.

I've calculated everything I needed, and I'll need to assemble a ship in orbit from 3 launches. So here is the first launch:
View attachment 110414 View attachment 110415 View attachment 110416 View attachment 110417
And since I have more fuel than expected, I'll assemble on a 500*500 km orbit:
View attachment 110418

Now the second part:
View attachment 110419 View attachment 110420 View attachment 110421 View attachment 110422
A pair of external tanks - they are not perfectly symmetrical, but it should be fine.

And finally, the part with the probe:
View attachment 110423 View attachment 110424

The final ship, a beautiful 2-stages ship with a pair of side tanks for additional fuel:
View attachment 110425
I want no comment about the form of the ship! I swear it wasn't intentionnal!
Now the stressing part, let's do the trip:
View attachment 110426 View attachment 110427

This is where I am when the main stage is exhausted:
View attachment 110428

Then I start burning the last stage - it takes a really long time for that single Valiant to burn those 50+ tons of fuel (we are in realistic, don't forget):
View attachment 110429 View attachment 110430 View attachment 110431
those 4553 m/s will come in handy. I'll really have to search for an explanation for that ΔV thingy, I never noticed it before very recently...

And finally:
View attachment 110432
Finally! Eccentricity is above 1, all good!
I was not sure I was going to do it, one moment I felt the stress every player had when trying this quest o_O

Wait, I found that in my mods list! I don't remember this, anyone noticed that before?!
View attachment 110433
That may explain a few things...

Orion

Nuclear bombs in space, die-hard WALL-E fan.
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
See, this is simple right? :p
Hey, that ship looks like-

Honestly, I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out. Voyager in realistic though? Yikes. Imagine that in one launch.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
OK guys, some of you probably noticed that ΔV stat that suddenly popped from nowhere in my flight information panel:
DVstat.jpg

Here is finally the explanation: it's a small mod that I developped in the past few days to do that (and honestly I wonder why nobody did it before). I really wanted something like that to make an excellent pair with ANAIS. I could have gone the usual way, releasing the mod, and done. But I wanted to see the result if I tried using it in public like if it was something totally usual and see the reactions.
Congratulations to Prox_xima that quickly noticed that there was "something weird" on my screenshots :)

For information, my joke wasn't limited to the forum. I posted a gif showing it in the concept art section of the Discord server, as if it was a simple concept:
Screenshot_20231119_234020_Discord.jpg

This generated a few reactions too. Enjoy :)
Screenshot_20231117_201846_Discord.jpg

Hey, the thread's title is "Altaïr's crazy stuff", it was never said that my crazy stuff would be limited to SFS :p

Of course, the mod is available and functional, you will find it here. Now that you saw it in action, enjoy it yourself :cool:

Prox_xima

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
OK guys, some of you probably noticed that ΔV stat that suddenly popped from nowhere in my flight information panel:
View attachment 110473

Here is finally the explanation: it's a small mod that I developped in the past few days to do that (and honestly I wonder why nobody did it before). I really wanted something like that to make an excellent pair with ANAIS. I could have gone the usual way, releasing the mod, and done. But I wanted to see the result if I tried using it in public like if it was something totally usual and see the reactions.
Congratulations to Prox_xima that quickly noticed that there was "something weird" on my screenshots :)

For information, my joke wasn't limited to the forum. I posted a gif showing it in the concept art section of the Discord server, as if it was a simple concept:
View attachment 110474

This generated a few reactions too. Enjoy :)
View attachment 110475

Hey, the thread's title is "Altaïr's crazy stuff", it was never said that my crazy stuff would be limited to SFS :p

Of course, the mod is available and functional, you will find it here. Now that you saw it in action, enjoy it yourself :cool:
I knew it!!!
wasn't it always there?! I never really paid attention to this to be honest...
Your cheeky lies...

Octacorpus

Parrots lover
Team Judge
Star Forger
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Crazy stuff, You never cease to amaze me

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I thought I needed a more powerful launcher. That Obsidian is cool and everything, but it could be better, so here is my last creation:
20231205232344_1.jpg

That beast weighs 2400 tons and is built fairly: it fits in the build grid, no part is clipped, only the fuel tanks are edited to give them the suited size. Oh, and there are 2 shrinked probes in the last stage so that it remains controllable and I can deorbit it.

Here are the first stage and the second stage in action:
20231205232635_1.jpg 20231205232719_1.jpg

And finally, the last stage:
20231205233147_1.jpg
Yes, this one only has one engine: the ship is not far from reaching orbit at that stage, so there's just an engine with just what's needed of fuel to finish the job. It also has 2 RCS and the 2 probes described above to manage docking operations in LEO, separation, and deorbitation.

And finally:
20231205233602_1.jpg 20231205233622_1.jpg 20231205233648_1.jpg
150 tons in orbit, with spare fuel. I made some tests, I can lift up to a little more than 155 tons to orbit. Not bad in realistic :cool:

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
With a few more decorations that looks more attractive, there's a guy that posted an amazing texture pack the other day:
20231210221748_1.jpg

Here is my new rocket, the Sapphire :cool:

That rocket does the job, with a payload/rocket ratio of 6.4%, and allows to send up to 150+ tons to orbit:
20231210221944_1.jpg 20231210222140_1.jpg 20231210222605_1.jpg 20231210223117_1.jpg

It's funny to see how the Obsidian looks humble compared to the Sapphire:
20231210224220_1.jpg

The example rocket is for scale. Sorry, I didn't have the traditional banana at my disposal for this :p

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
With a few more decorations that looks more attractive, there's a guy that posted an amazing texture pack the other day:
View attachment 111391
Here is my new rocket, the Sapphire :cool:

That rocket does the job, with a payload/rocket ratio of 6.4%, and allows to send up to 150+ tons to orbit:
View attachment 111392 View attachment 111393 View attachment 111394 View attachment 111395

It's funny to see how the Obsidian looks humble compared to the Sapphire:
View attachment 111396
The example rocket is for scale. Sorry, I didn't have the traditional banana at my disposal for this :p
How did you get the diagonal skin?

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
But how did you get them to be flush with the side of the fuel tanks.
Edit: I'm trying to find out because the Black Arrow rocket has diagonals.
It was a bit tricky, I used an angled fairing that I made like that:
Spaceflight Simulator_2023-12-10-23-24-27.jpg
Then as I didn't want the fairing part below, I bp-edited it to make it very thin so that it's not visible, so visually you only have the upper one remaining. Then by turning the whole thing by 45° I had a stripe, and the side appeared to be vertical as I wanted.

If you want to study it closely, it's available for download here.

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
It was a bit tricky, I used an angled fairing that I made like that:
View attachment 111398
Then as I didn't want the fairing part below, I bp-edited it to make it very thin so that it's not visible, so visually you only have the upper one remaining. Then by turning the whole thing by 45° I had a stripe, and the side appeared to be vertical as I wanted.

If you want to study it closely, it's available for download here.
Ohhhh.... Ok I get it.

Dragonship3 jumpscare!
Screenshot 2023-11-11 204731.png