Aviation

Exactly that. It's a Vietnam music mix, and yes the Phantom featured heavily in the war but the creator seem to miss the hundred of stock photos of US F-4s doing sorties and opted for an Iranian Airforce Phantom instead.
Hey Horus, I have found an amazing documentary from a war expert about how the vietnam war was related to the Middle East.

The damning evidence can be found in this video at the 4:05 mark.

dude just build a jet engine yourself it's easy, even one of my friends has made a really big one

or at least he said he was working on it, idk last I heard from him he said something about the "FAA" being at his door, idk what that means

haven't heard from him in a while

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
dude just build a jet engine yourself it's easy, even one of my friends has made a really big one

or at least he said he was working on it, idk last I heard from him he said something about the "FAA" being at his door, idk what that means

haven't heard from him in a while
Probably means the FAA doesn’t like him building his own home made propulsive device.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
When you're on the deck of an aircraft carrier, looking down at a heavy bomber going past.

B-52-low-level-fly-by.jpg

USS-Ranger-B-52.jpg

Ignore the nose down attitude. That's just how B-52s flew.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Nose level: ascending
Nose-down: flying level
Nose-dive: descending

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
The USAF lost 17 of the damn things in combat there, but they appear to have been due to SAMs and MIGs

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Yes. Assume I know enough about air warfare to know what conflicts those dates those correspond to, even if the AK and the B-52 weren't enough of a steer.

I'm looking for your sources that farmers in rice fields where hitting and shooting down US heavy bombers, that operated at 18,000ft+ doing around 500mph, with nothing more than AK-47s.

As Mooncrasher says, SAMs and MiGs, absolutely. Especially on the HoChiMinh city run in, because politics wouldn't allow them to avoid enemy fire. But AKs? I am extremely sceptical.

Yes. Assume I know enough about air warfare to know what conflicts those dates those correspond to, even if the AK and the B-52 weren't enough of a steer.

I'm looking for your sources that farmers in rice fields where hitting and shooting down US heavy bombers, that operated at 18,000ft+ doing around 500mph, with nothing more than AK-47s.

As Mooncrasher says, SAMs and MiGs, absolutely. Especially on the HoChiMinh city run in, because politics wouldn't allow them to avoid enemy fire. But AKs? I am extremely sceptical.
I don’t think it was the farmers in rice fields were shooting at us,
But ya, how many lucky shots would it take to bring down any bomber with an AK even if they could identify a critical point
And we only lost 17 because we flew a bazillion missions bombing farmers, gunna lose some but not to AKs

But ya, how many lucky shots would it take to bring down any bomber with an AK even if they could identify a critical point
And we only lost 17 because we flew a bazillion missions bombing farmers, gunna lose some but not to AKs
u guys know that i am from Vietnam, right?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I see you missed my point entirely. And yeah, a lot of the random ground fire were just 'irregulars' in fields taking shots at passing Skyraiders or whatever.
However. Even if they were army regulars who were crack shots, if they had lots of training in an air defence role and if they were equipped with large enough optics to identify specific areas of an aircraft from that distance, 7.62x39 is not going up 18 thousand feet. It'd have difficulty making 18,000ft of distance across the ground away from the shooter when fired at 45 degrees.
It doesn't matter how skilled, how lucky etc, physics says no.

And you want to know just how lucky they'd have to be to bring down an aircraft that was actually within range?

There's a nice little ditty from the Falklands War about when Argentine Air Force Skyhawks were doing low level bombing runs at Royal Navy ships sat at anchor in San Carlos Bay 21-25 May 1982. On the surrounding hillside was a battalion of newly disembarked Welsh Guards armed with 7.62x51 calibre weapons, FAL, GPMG etc.
Of course these men better trained and with better weapons, merrily opened fire, expending in excess of 15,000 rounds.

Want know how many aircraft they shot down?

Zero.

Want to know how many hits they scored?

Zero.

I thought you were from Star Fleet?

Dude, i know you're from Vietnam. Unless you're commenting on the fact we're talking casually about fellow countrymen getting vapourised by 500lb'ers then remember it's not personal, in the same way as if we were talking about Tigers smashing Shermans it's not personal to our US members.

If it's you're an expert cos you're a local, that's about as true as someone who grew up in Florida being born knowing all about rockets. You still need research, sources etc.

That word you use. I don't think it means what you think it means.

Earl

Builder of Stupid Rockets // Pres Ben //|**|\\
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
That's not a source dude. We need links to articles or actual proof. I'm pretty sure a small automatic rifle could shoot down a huge bomber at 15 thousand feet...

Earl

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Sorry man, but I still don't believe it for a few reasons.

1. AK-47 and AKM is in too small of a caliber to seriously damage a heavy bomber like this
2. These things fly at like 500 mph, (Mach 0.9) meaning it would be really hard to hit it
3. They fly at like 16,000 ft (nearly 5 km) and the AK-47 has a range of about 400 m.

Even the most skilled marksman wouldn't be able to shoot one down like that, let alone poorly trained soldiers.

EDIT: about the AK-47 range thing. It can shoot accurately up to 400m but the bullet can travel up to 800m (still less than a quarter of the bomber's altitude.) If we look at the more modern counterpart the AKM, we will see it is still accurate to 400m but can travel 1000m. Still not enough.

Last edited:

Earl

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Sorry man, but I still don't believe it for a few reasons.

1. AK-47 and AKM is in too small of a caliber to seriously damage a heavy bomber like this
2. These things fly at like 500 mph, (Mach 0.9) meaning it would be really hard to hit it
3. They fly at like 16,000 ft (nearly 5 km) and the AK-47 has a range of about 400 m.

Even the most skilled marksman wouldn't be able to shoot one down like that, let alone poorly trained soldiers.

EDIT: about the AK-47 range thing. It can shoot accurately up to 400m but the bullet can travel up to 800m (still less than a quarter of the bomber's altitude.) If we look at the more modern counterpart the AKM, we will see it is still accurate to 400m but can travel 1000m. Still not enough.
Sooo yeah, it's not just a statistical improbability, it's literally impossible.

I see you missed my point entirely. And yeah, a lot of the random ground fire were just 'irregulars' in fields taking shots at passing Skyraiders or whatever.
However. Even if they were army regulars who were crack shots, if they had lots of training in an air defence role and if they were equipped with large enough optics to identify specific areas of an aircraft from that distance, 7.62x39 is not going up 18 thousand feet. It'd have difficulty making 18,000ft of distance across the ground away from the shooter when fired at 45 degrees.
It doesn't matter how skilled, how lucky etc, physics says no.

And you want to know just how lucky they'd have to be to bring down an aircraft that was actually within range?

There's a nice little ditty from the Falklands War about when Argentine Air Force Skyhawks were doing low level bombing runs at Royal Navy ships sat at anchor in San Carlos Bay 21-25 May 1982. On the surrounding hillside was a battalion of newly disembarked Welsh Guards armed with 7.62x51 calibre weapons, FAL, GPMG etc.
Of course these men better trained and with better weapons, merrily opened fire, expending in excess of 15,000 rounds.

Want know how many aircraft they shot down?

Zero.

Want to know how many hits they scored?

Zero.

I thought you were from Star Fleet?

Dude, i know you're from Vietnam. Unless you're commenting on the fact we're talking casually about fellow countrymen getting vapourised by 500lb'ers then remember it's not personal, in the same way as if we were talking about Tigers smashing Shermans it's not personal to our US members.

If it's you're an expert cos you're a local, that's about as true as someone who grew up in Florida being born knowing all about rockets. You still need research, sources etc.

That word you use. I don't think it means what you think it means.
I understood your point perfectly well, I just take great offense at blurring the lines between farmers and guerrillas

And for that matter I understand perfectly well what genocide is, we killed millions of Vietnamese and Cambodians with blanket bombs and overwhelming ground force for no reason but a failed attempt to install a government friendly to our empire;
There is nothing excusable about that mess and suggesting such a thing was nothing personal is ghastly, it was very personal