Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
List your ideas for future updates below. Mine is suspension for rovers and drogue chutes for landers (parachutes for higher altitudes but do less slowing down than regular parachutes).
Aerospike engine or some new solar panels or scientificc experimentsss

JSP

The Lord President of Gallifrey.
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Yes I dont like how it looks it just looks untidy

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Yes I dont like how it looks it just looks untidy
In this case you can simply hide the mechanism with a piece of fairing. It will look smooth and it's practically unnoticeable at first sight.

Here is an example with a station I built long ago (and that I never finished by the way o_O):
15-core placed (2).jpg

I built it without cheats at all, so I had to dock a lot of pieces together to achieve that result. There are docking ports absolutely everywhere! A few of them are visible (at least because I needed some attach points for assembly drones or for future parts), but how many of them can you spot on this picture? ;)

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Lagrangian points?
Uhh, planets and moons rotate on their axis?
Mobile Servicing System or something like that?
The physics behind Lagrangian points are really tough and are incompatible with the SOI approximation. Moreover, points L1 to L3 are unstable, which would make them hard to use in practice. Points L4 and L5 are stable, but you can already simulate them. Just place an object in orbit at the suited place, and it will look like it's next to the lagrangian point.

I agree on the rest though, planet rotation would be cool :)

The physics behind Lagrangian points are really tough and are incompatible with the SOI approximation. Moreover, points L1 to L3 are unstable, which would make them hard to use in practice.
Aww, that sucks

Points L4 and L5 are stable, but you can already simulate them. Just place an object in orbit at the suited place, and it will look like it's next to the lagrangian point.
LMAO, why didn't I think of that?

I agree on the rest though, planet rotation would be cool :)
Yeah, to make things a little bit harder mwehehehe

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
In my opinion the problem with SFS right now is that there is nothing to do. There is anything to interact with on the planets and it becomes boring to visit the planets at some point. What i want in SFS ? I want science experiments. Orbital science, surface science and so on.
There's actually loads to do if you have the imagination / look around the challenge section of the forum. Want to do some science? I've got a science challenge for you
https://jmnet.one/sfs/forum/index.php?threads/project-le-verrier.3614/

There is a campaign

In this case you can simply hide the mechanism with a piece of fairing. It will look smooth and it's practically unnoticeable at first sight.

Here is an example with a station I built long ago (and that I never finished by the way o_O):
View attachment 37515

I built it without cheats at all, so I had to dock a lot of pieces together to achieve that result. There are docking ports absolutely everywhere! A few of them are visible (at least because I needed some attach points for assembly drones or for future parts), but how many of them can you spot on this picture? ;)
Was this the Jovian Gateway you were building last year?

Lagrangian points?
Uhh, planets and moons rotate on their axis?
Mobile Servicing System or something like that?
The amount of REEEEEEEE that having Langrangian point would generate just isn't worth it. Most people don't understand 2 dimensional orbits, never mind adding a 3rd and random interactions with passing planets. Like Venus fucks with L3 (is it L3, it's one of them) every few years and anything you leave there, won't be there for very long.

Not sure how you'd implement planet rotation in a 2D game? Unless they rotate like the plates that they are (FLAT EARTH CONFIRMED), but you'd not get any new surface view

Not sure how you'd implement planet rotation in a 2D game? Unless they rotate like the plates that they are (FLAT EARTH CONFIRMED), but you'd not get any new surface view
Yeah, they rotate on their centers like discs on a phonograph so that landing on a specific spot on the surface will be a bit much harder? I don't know, I'm not that sure if it will even make any difference in terms of landing at all LMAO but, it'll be useful in case Stef adds a day-night cycle system in the game.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
so that landing on a specific spot on the surface will be a bit much harder?
Not sure how fast you think this phonograph will be turning...? It'll be doing one turn every 2.4 hours, you'll be going round every 10 minutes. It won't affect your accuracy a huge amount, not as much as things like how your approach angle affects your drag and thus your speed which varies your landing area quite markedly.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
There's actually loads to do if you have the imagination / look around the challenge section of the forum. Want to do some science? I've got a science challenge for you
https://jmnet.one/sfs/forum/index.php?threads/project-le-verrier.3614/
Agreed. More generally speaking, there's a lot to do just with the challenge section. The only limit to this game is your imagination to be honest.

Was this the Jovian Gateway you were building last year?
Yes indeed. As is it was not even the latest version, but at some point I got bored, I really spent a lot of time on that station o_O
However it was not far from being finished, I planned to add some radiative panels for thermal regulation, and some electromagnets that would generate an artificial magnetosphere around the station to protect it from the intense radiation belts around Jupiter.

And I also had the drive units to send it to Jupiter, but that was not the part I was mostly worrying about.

Yeah, they rotate on their centers like discs on a phonograph so that landing on a specific spot on the surface will be a bit much harder? I don't know, I'm not that sure if it will even make any difference in terms of landing at all LMAO but, it'll be useful in case Stef adds a day-night cycle system in the game.
That makes a difference indeed, the rotation gives you a speed bonus when you launch prograde, or a malus when you launch retrograde (same for landing of course). But the rotation speed should be adjusted depending on the orbital speed, so that the bonus is significative without being overpowered. And a lot of people should suddenly remember that Venus rotates retrograde :p