Explorer Program Management - non-dlc
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Under Pressure
Registered
How it works is fairly simple:

Once we are near the Moon, Luna (the lander) and Brake (the descent module) will detach from the third stage of the rocket. It will perform a 180 degree turn so that Brake is facing the Moon. It will fire until we are around 20 m/s. Then, the duo will flip around another 180 degrees, and Luna will dislodge from Brake, and open the landing legs. Brake will fire it's engines to break out of the lunar sphere of influence to crash back on Earth while Luna gets closer to the Moon. At around 600 meters from the surface, Luna will activate its engine and put it on a low fire (1-5%). At 200, it will increase it to 10-20%, and it will fluctuate between engine burns closer to the surface to provide a smooth landing.
I would slow it down by orbit

USAA

Man on the Moon
Registered
How it works is fairly simple:

Once we are near the Moon, Luna (the lander) and Brake (the descent module) will detach from the third stage of the rocket. It will perform a 180 degree turn so that Brake is facing the Moon. It will fire until we are around 20 m/s. Then, the duo will flip around another 180 degrees, and Luna will dislodge from Brake, and open the landing legs. Brake will fire it's engines to break out of the lunar sphere of influence to crash back on Earth while Luna gets closer to the Moon. At around 600 meters from the surface, Luna will activate its engine and put it on a low fire (1-5%). At 200, it will increase it to 10-20%, and it will fluctuate between engine burns closer to the surface to provide a smooth landing.
Note on the bolded: After Brake performs another 180 degree turn as to not hit Luna.

UN Cosmo Navy

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Under Pressure
Registered
Note on the bolded: After Brake performs another 180 degree turn as to not hit Luna.
When I did a plan like this.....I crashed.....you also need to watch your speed, fuel, and the surface to get a good landing

USAA

Man on the Moon
Registered
When I did a plan like this.....I crashed.....you also need to watch your speed, fuel, and the surface to get a good landing
I think (note, I think, it hasn't been tested yet) this will work.

Instead of the Apollo setup (still haven't figured out that orbit yet), the lunar module, as soon as it enters the Moon's sphere of influence, it's on a crash course to the surface. So, the descent process is designed after the path I'll be taking.

Another thing: this lunar module IS NOT designed to get off the Moon.

UN Cosmo Navy

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Under Pressure
Registered
I think (note, I think, it hasn't been tested yet) this will work.

Instead of the Apollo setup (still haven't figured out that orbit yet), the lunar module, as soon as it enters the Moon's sphere of influence, it's on a crash course to the surface. So, the descent process is designed after the path I'll be taking.

Another thing: this lunar module IS NOT designed to get off the Moon.
Hmmm, if you are on a path to the moon and you are 5km from the surface, dead or you have a lot of fuel to slow down. How will it go back up?

UN Cosmo Navy

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Under Pressure
Registered
BTW, you said you played NS. What nation are you?
The one that was banned for no framing but wooloo says, frp up the elections I did..........I don´t know who really did.... but I just never want to say anything about him

Soyuzturtle

«★★★» Grand Admiral «★★★» // PT
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
I would slow it down by orbit
It's definitely not necessary. A lot of rockets will have more than the capability to follow this flight path. I do recommend while flying like this to slow down to a speed similar to orbital speed at a high altitude which means you don't have to fight being deep in the gravity well of the moon to slow down most of the way.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Oh, nothing's wrong with the rocket, I just haven't tested this system yet.
You were very.... precise with the throttle values. Did you already work out the thrust-weight ratios and fuel and all that?

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Well the moon is different.:p
Are you going for efficiency?