Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
To be fair the Apollo program wasn't finished it was cancelled after public support flatlined. The argument being we went to the moon and beat the Russians why go back?

I think you mistook my meaning. I didn't mean by finished I meant in the terms of mission complete. I've said many times in other places (at great length) that Saturn V (and by extension the Apollo program, although I mention them as the separate entities that they are) should've continued and even in the post you reference I mention that they had the plans, capability, resources and rockets all good to go. Just add crew and fuel.

However.
You could totally make an argument that the Apollo mission was complete. They were only tasked with "landing a man on the Moon by the end of this decade and returning him safely to the Earth".

They achieved that goal and technically Apollo over-ran its mandate by several years as by-rights they should've stopped at Apollo 11 once those men were returned safely to Earth.

Also this was the most entertainment I have gotten off of this forum other then reading the ban appeals.
I tend to agree. I still can't look at certain things that shall not be named without laughing or getting halfway to a meme generator.

Zeeray13

Merlin Master
Registered
I think you mistook my meaning. I didn't mean by finished I meant in the terms of mission complete. I've said many times in other places (at great length) that Saturn V (and by extension the Apollo program, although I mention them as the separate entities that they are) should've continued and even in the post you reference I mention that they had the plans, capability, resources and rockets all good to go. Just add crew and fuel.

However.
You could totally make an argument that the Apollo mission was complete. They were only tasked with "landing a man on the Moon by the end of this decade and returning him safely to the Earth".

They achieved that goal and technically Apollo over-ran its mandate by several years as by-rights they should've stopped at Apollo 11 once those men were returned safely to Earth.

I tend to agree. I still can't look at certain things that shall not be named without laughing or getting halfway to a meme generator.
Ya I see the nuance of your first point. It's just to bad so sad we moved on. Even today we can't make a F-1 engine due to those who knew how to make the thing work are either dead or it's been so long they don't remember how to do it. There was a project to make a F-2 but they ran into that problem because back then they would just grind through 100 injector plates figuring out which one worked. And all the changes weren't recorded oh this hole was moved 0.00005 in that way would be something we would record today but back then it was oh it works it works. The only thing I wish could happen is see the Saturn-V in its largest payload configuration that would be one hell of a sight.

Zeeray13

Merlin Master
Registered
Ya I see the nuance of your first point. It's just to bad so sad we moved on. Even today we can't make a F-1 engine due to those who knew how to make the thing work are either dead or it's been so long they don't remember how to do it. There was a project to make a F-2 but they ran into that problem because back then they would just grind through 100 injector plates figuring out which one worked. And all the changes weren't recorded oh this hole was moved 0.00005 in that way would be something we would record today but back then it was oh it works it works. The only thing I wish could happen is see the Saturn-V in its largest payload configuration that would be one hell of a sight.
Although I'm glad I live in a time when we have a new way of doing things and we get to see something that's larger then what was made in the past. I'm of course referring to starship and to some extent SLS (which as a American hate that my tax dollars are being spent on that system. I would much rather NASA have space x or the lowest bidder deliver what they need and NASA can focus doing what it does best. Build robots and explore new worlds.)