Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
So what were you sayin
I'm saying you don't know what you are talking about.

You point at a model of a Saturn V to prove your point, which is directly contradicted by the actual photo of a real Saturn V being transported from the VAB for launch which you yourself placed right next to it.

The fins on the base of Saturn V are white or black depending on where you view the rocket from.

I'll put that for you in a different way so there's even less ambiguity.

If you stand on one side of Saturn V, you'll see white fins. If you stand on the otherside, you'll see black fins. If you stand somewhere else you'll see white and black fins.

This isn't a hard concept to grasp. It's paint. If you knew what you were talking about, you'd be less bothered about the fin paint scheme and more worried about the fin shape.

And I don't even want to get into the payload debacle again. There are so many variants of Saturn V (and i mean Saturn V, not IB or anything like that) with different payloads, engines, stack sizes etc that it'd melt your mind. Most of them couldn't even fit in the VAB at Kennedy. They had ones planned that were fitted with SRBs, F-1s powered with new fuel types and they only reason they never got round to adding them was because the US sacked heavy lift completely after the Apollo program finished. They even had 2 flight ready Saturn Vs ready to go that never flew. All they needed was fuel and a crew.

Space pilot, no one minds having their builds critiqued. That's the whole point, it's the only way improvements happen. But you have to do it from a position of absolute subject matter knowledge.
I don't comment on, critique or build real rockets, never have done, never will do. Not because I'm shy (faaaar from it), but because, with the exception of Saturn V and STS, I know fuck all about them. I wouldn't know a Proton from an Ariane if you beat me over the head with them.
That's why people here ping Cosmo for his viewpoints on a build. He's not subtle and certainly doesn't spare anyones feelings but he knows his shit, and he'll say something like 'that SLS is too wide and has the wrong engines you retard, swap them for liquid fuel engines and make the core tanks 1.5m narrower or use fairings to make the bottom taper inwards properly'.
And he'll say that after actually looking at your build and comparing it every type of SLS, measuring the height and width to see which one yours is closest to. Or if it more resembles a D IV or a Falcon Heavy.
And you'll accept it cos he's right and either you change it or go home and sulk.

So again. Go back. Do your research. There's so much data online about it, and if nothing else it's utterly fascinating reading. Understand exactly what Saturn V actually is first (it's so soo sooo much more than the Apollo delivery vehicle), and then come back and tell people the fins are the wrong colour.

T

TtTOtW

Space pilot. We have experts here on the Forum. You are NOT one of them, it is obvious. You are going to have to EARN that rank. It's not a badge. It's not an attitude. It's KNOWING WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. We all earned that badge. We earned it by honest flying, decent planning, respect for others, and focusing on developing ourselves. You display none of that. I'd say you need to think again who you are talking to and consider listening rather than imagine you know everything.

Space pilot

ET phone home
Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
I'm saying you don't know what you are talking about.

You point at a model of a Saturn V to prove your point, which is directly contradicted by the actual photo of a real Saturn V being transported from the VAB for launch which you yourself placed right next to it.

The fins on the base of Saturn V are white or black depending on where you view the rocket from.

I'll put that for you in a different way so there's even less ambiguity.

If you stand on one side of Saturn V, you'll see white fins. If you stand on the otherside, you'll see black fins. If you stand somewhere else you'll see white and black fins.

This isn't a hard concept to grasp. It's paint. If you knew what you were talking about, you'd be less bothered about the fin paint scheme and more worried about the fin shape.

And I don't even want to get into the payload debacle again. There are so many variants of Saturn V (and i mean Saturn V, not IB or anything like that) with different payloads, engines, stack sizes etc that it'd melt your mind. Most of them couldn't even fit in the VAB at Kennedy. They had ones planned that were fitted with SRBs, F-1s powered with new fuel types and they only reason they never got round to adding them was because the US sacked heavy lift completely after the Apollo program finished. They even had 2 flight ready Saturn Vs ready to go that never flew. All they needed was fuel and a crew.

Space pilot, no one minds having their builds critiqued. That's the whole point, it's the only way improvements happen. But you have to do it from a position of absolute subject matter knowledge.
I don't comment on, critique or build real rockets, never have done, never will do. Not because I'm shy (faaaar from it), but because, with the exception of Saturn V and STS, I know fuck all about them. I wouldn't know a Proton from an Ariane if you beat me over the head with them.
That's why people here ping Cosmo for his viewpoints on a build. He's not subtle and certainly doesn't spare anyones feelings but he knows his shit, and he'll say something like 'that SLS is too wide and has the wrong engines you retard, swap them for liquid fuel engines and make the core tanks 1.5m narrower or use fairings to make the bottom taper inwards properly'.
And he'll say that after actually looking at your build and comparing it every type of SLS, measuring the height and width to see which one yours is closest to. Or if it more resembles a D IV or a Falcon Heavy.
And you'll accept it cos he's right and either you change it or go home and sulk.

So again. Go back. Do your research. There's so much data online about it, and if nothing else it's utterly fascinating reading. Understand exactly what Saturn V actually is first (it's so soo sooo much more than the Apollo delivery vehicle), and then come back and tell people the fins are the wrong colour.
Ok ok I have already understood what you are saying. But others jpg was confusing me.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
If I'm not mistaken, that's Huntsville's Mockup SatV. (Literally 2 miles away from me) that's not actually entirely accurate though. The fins are wrong, as well as the engines.
Cool! Is it 1:1 or something smaller?

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Cool! Is it 1:1 or something smaller?
Yup. Here's my most recent pic of it.
20200306_230313.jpg

We have a real one here too, not a flight one, but the dynamic stress tester. It's inside a building right next to the mockup.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Let see difference between Saturn V payload faring and N1 payload faring. View attachment 34548
Left faring is Saturn V payload faring and right faring is N1 payload faring.

Oh for fuck sake, you're still trying to talk about payload fairings?!

Want to see Saturn V payload fairings?

Screenshot_2020-03-13-01-58-50.png

Every single one of these is a Saturn V. They all have different payload fairings.

You'll also notice the second one from the left looks suspiciously like an N1 fairing? Funny thing that.

And this list doesn't even include Skylab.

Skylab_launch_on_Saturn_V.jpg

Going to tell me this ^^ isn't a Saturn V because it doesn't look like your fairing on the top? Hell, it's even got a black tail fin. It must be a fake!

The fairing is not part of the rocket. It is purely a cover for the payload. A Saturn V is a Saturn V no matter what you plonk on top of it. You could tie a fucking teddy bear to the top of stage III, cover it with a carrier bag and it would still be a Saturn V.

Von Braun didn't specify that it'd be called a Saturn V only if it had the Apollo fairing and LES on it. It was called Saturn V because it is the 5 engined version of the series of rockets after Jupiter, so as long as it's a 5 engined version of the series of rockets after Jupiter then guess what?

It's a fucking Saturn V.

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Now if you wanted to suggest that the fairing looks a little off, that's one thing. There's no such thing as "the wrong fairing" in this game though. This isn't Space Agency. They're just subtle changes in appearance, they don't do much though. They CERTAINLY don't make it a different rocket.

Ooh, check out the 'expert' here.

I have found many mmistake in your post about his rocket such as used rtg as a small wing but the colour of that wing can be black or white depending on which way you're looking at Saturn V. I mean, look at the picture above your post. It clearly shows a black fin on the right side of the first stage of Saturn V.

And he used the N1 and N1 AND N1 AND N1 AND N1 PAYLOAD FARING because he wanted to, thats why

And he used the N1 and N1 AND N1 AND N1 AND N1 PAYLOAD FARING because he could, thats why

And he used the N1 and N1 AND N1 AND N1 AND N1 PAYLOAD FARING because as previously stated, you can use whatever top section you like for the payload as the top of Stage III isn't technically part of the Saturn V. That is payload area and changed depending on what it was carrying, thats why.

And he used the N1 and N1 AND N1 AND N1 AND N1 PAYLOAD FARING because that's the way the fairings sit ontop of fuel tanks in SFS, thats why.

And the skin on both the stage 1 to 2 and stage 2 to 3 is black and white stripes with 4 columns. Look at his blueprint. Look at actual photos. Then back to the blueprint.

Space pilot, if you're gonna critique peoples builds, at least fact check yourself before you press reply.
thanks for all the comments, i never thought i would get this much attention one post

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
thanks for all the comments, i never thought i would get this much attention one post
Actually, it's a good build so I hope you get alot of attention for this rocket, just not the kind that seems to becoming its way about minor details.

Left faring is Saturn V payload faring and right faring is N1 payload faring.
I've been an asshole for the past 2 days and I'm sick of it, so I'm gonna be nicer this time.

The fairings and payloads aren't fixed for all launch vehicles, they're both a two way street. The fairing can be dictated by the shape and size of the payload, or the payload can be dictated by the dimensions of the fairing. Its that easy.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
But he made Saturn V for LM so I also post fairing of Saturn V for LM
No, he made a Saturn V. And can place any fairing he pleases onto it.

And the differences between what you continue to bleat on about and the actual covers on a Apollo Saturn V are so minimal that no one even cares.

I genuinely can not wait for your builds Space pilot. After all this hype you've made up with yours and constant whining about minor details on otherwise perfectly good rockets, it'd be really embarrassing if yours weren't accurate down to the half metre.