Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
Well, my math teacher keeps saying dumb things and often doesn't do the square of a sum properly...

LP64350

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
My math teacher from the 6th grade which was almost 8 years ago let us watch movies each week. At the end of the year, he couldn’t understand why we didn’t know anything. He didn’t show up next year...

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
because she thought Japan was located in the center of Europe, right next to Germany.
You mean Japan and Germany aren't next to each other?!

But I thought sides in conflicts were always next to each other for geographical safety?

T

TtTOtW

Now that I saw this, it reminded me of something: my math teacher couldn’t even read numbers either. He literally said: “what comes after 8, my dear students? The 10 of course! And after 10? The 9, obviously”

In High School, I also had a history teacher who was struggling to demonstrate that the Second World War ONLY took place in Europe... because she thought Japan was located in the center of Europe, right next to Germany.
Dude that's nuts

James Brown

Thinker/INTJ/investigator/Natural Science lover
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Well, my geography teacher in form one in form have a quote" There are three things you need to bring to the lesson: textbook, notebook and notes" The teacher even speak to nobody!! When the teacher call someone that a student haven't handed in a homework, the teacher just realised the student is absent!!! What a careless mistake

James Brown

Thinker/INTJ/investigator/Natural Science lover
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Now that I saw this, it reminded me of something: my math teacher couldn’t even read numbers either. He literally said: “what comes after 8, my dear students? The 10 of course! And after 10? The 9, obviously”

In High School, I also had a history teacher who was struggling to demonstrate that the Second World War ONLY took place in Europe... because she thought Japan was located in the center of Europe, right next to Germany.
lol no teacher is perfect

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
weird thing here is cringe....

Earl

Builder of Stupid Rockets // Pres Ben //|**|\\
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
I live relatively close to an island that used to have an ammusement park in the early 1900s. A lot was removed and/or destroyed. Notably, theres a ferris wheel completely underwater, and a bunch of abandoned structures and concrete foundations. I sail there every year, and it always gives off a weird, eerie vibe.

BANDWITH

Embodiment of Made In Abyss spoilers
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered
Something weird about where I live...

I think the most interesting thing about my town is...
Uh..

Nevermind.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Something weird about where I live...

I think the most interesting thing about my town is...
Uh..

Nevermind.
^This post folks, is the perfect example of “When you REALLY want to post on a thread, but you really have nothing to say”.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
[QUOTE="Roger Jolly, post: 129034, member: well that and our psychotic nuclear weapons program[/QUOTE]

I love when people say that, as if the alternative was any better.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Oh wait, you’re British...
The narrow-mindedness of your viewpoint never fails to amuse me.

And the alternative was what?
7 figure Allied casualties after the invasion of Japan.
8 figure Japanese casualties after the invasion of Japan, including pretty much every single man, woman and child capable of carrying anything heavier than a grenade.

Ignoring also the fact that if the US hadn't completed Manhatten, a whole host of other nations also had atomic weapons programs and would've done so independently of the Americans. Fun fact, the US aren't the only ones with nuclear weapons. They weren't the first to start either and any idea you have of it being a solely US thing just shows how historically blinded by a self loathing of your own nation you are.
America without nuclear weapons doesn't equal a world without nuclear weapons. One day you'll realise that, and realise why the US has them in the first and second place.

The narrow-mindedness of your viewpoint never fails to amuse me.

7 figure Allied casualties after the invasion of Japan.
8 figure Japanese casualties after the invasion of Japan, including pretty much every single man, woman and child capable of carrying anything heavier than a grenade.

Ignoring also the fact that if the US hadn't completed Manhatten, a whole host of other nations also had atomic weapons programs and would've done so independently of the Americans. Fun fact, the US aren't the only ones with nuclear weapons. They weren't the first to start either and any idea you have of it being a solely US thing just shows how historically blinded by a self loathing of your own nation you are.
America without nuclear weapons doesn't equal a world without nuclear weapons. One day you'll realise that, and realise why the US has them in the first and second place.
I’ve realized a lot of things in life, long before the Japanese ever dreamed of invading Pearl Harbor the US openly and aggressively dominated the Pacific with airbases stocked for a westward invasion, we could have used this leverage to peaceably settle our dominance over the waters but we wanted a strong foothold on the mainland;
This was our war on both fronts, the US usurped the German effort to crush your collapsing empire in WWI and drew the Japanese into a doomed conflict that turned them into a vassal state along with southern Korea

Japan was nuked to show the world the US ruled this world and no man, woman or Soviet Union would stand in the way;
The Soviets never had half of the industrial capacity of the US and barely 10% of the nuclear stockpile, it was never a threat to the US, the Cold War was made and managed by the US while the Soviets just played along for what it was worth

Currently the US operates a line of bases from Australia to South Korea with the finest soldiers equipped with the finest gear ever produced poised to kill hundreds of millions of Chinese at a moments noticed, but this front is backed by a ruined economy and a sluggish populace, it is a paper tiger

If the Chinese simply keep their head down, work on a pipeline from Iran, continue the S China Sea sandcastle project, milk the US debt finance system to its bitter collapse, maybe just maybe the US menace will peaceably dissolve itself, but more likely the Chinese suffer a terrible but brief wave of raining fire;
The Chinese could easily turn that vast industrial surplus to rolling out a naval fleet faster than we can imagine and halt SE Asian shipping all together and make a mess of Korean and Japanese shipping and effectively eliminate the entire consumer electronics market in the western world without ever firing an offensive round, the US would be utterly helpless

Believing oneself to be the savior of humanity while speaking of imagined threats is paranoid delusion 100% of the time, the savior of humanity is our fleeting ability to reason and work together without fear of others and their ways

Here’s some weird Wild Westishness:
Classic:
https://youtu.be/EYrznlDTE_M

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I’ve realized a lot of things in life, long before the Japanese ever dreamed of invading Pearl Harbor the US openly and aggressively dominated the Pacific with airbases stocked for a westward invasion, we could have used this leverage to peaceably settle our dominance over the waters but we wanted a strong foothold on the mainland;
This was our war on both fronts, the US usurped the German effort to crush your collapsing empire in WWI and drew the Japanese into a doomed conflict that turned them into a vassal state along with southern Korea

Japan was nuked to show the world the US ruled this world and no man, woman or Soviet Union would stand in the way;
The Soviets never had half of the industrial capacity of the US and barely 10% of the nuclear stockpile, it was never a threat to the US, the Cold War was made and managed by the US while the Soviets just played along for what it was worth

Currently the US operates a line of bases from Australia to South Korea with the finest soldiers equipped with the finest gear ever produced poised to kill hundreds of millions of Chinese at a moments noticed, but this front is backed by a ruined economy and a sluggish populace, it is a paper tiger

If the Chinese simply keep their head down, work on a pipeline from Iran, continue the S China Sea sandcastle project, milk the US debt finance system to its bitter collapse, maybe just maybe the US menace will peaceably dissolve itself, but more likely the Chinese suffer a terrible but brief wave of raining fire;
The Chinese could easily turn that vast industrial surplus to rolling out a naval fleet faster than we can imagine and halt SE Asian shipping all together and make a mess of Korean and Japanese shipping and effectively eliminate the entire consumer electronics market in the western world without ever firing an offensive round, the US would be utterly helpless

Believing oneself to be the savior of humanity while speaking of imagined threats is paranoid delusion 100% of the time, the savior of humanity is our fleeting ability to reason and work together without fear of others and their ways

Here’s some weird Wild Westishness:
Classic:
https://youtu.be/EYrznlDTE_M
You should do stand up. Or satire. But genuine objective reporting is not your strong point.

I have to go to work (nations won't oppress themselves), but I'll be back to this later.

Soyuzturtle

«★★★» Grand Admiral «★★★» // PT
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
You should do stand up. Or satire. But genuine objective reporting is not your strong point.

I have to go to work (nations won't oppress themselves), but I'll be back to this later.
I'm excited for this.

Soyuzturtle

«★★★» Grand Admiral «★★★» // PT
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
The Soviets never had half of the industrial capacity of the US and barely 10% of the nuclear stockpile, it was never a threat to the US,
A few hundred nuclear warheads is a threat to anyone , if they're 10% of something else or 100%. 1% of the black holes in the universe are still a threat if you go near them.

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Weird thing right now is that, those craps are slightly invading us in secret...

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
long before the Japanese ever dreamed of invading Pearl Harbor the US openly and aggressively dominated the Pacific with airbases stocked for a westward invasion, we could have used this leverage to peaceably settle our dominance over the waters but we wanted a strong foothold on the mainland;
I'm curious. How do you 'peaceably settle dominance'? Asking for a mate. Because no creature great or small in the history of sentient life on Earth has ever managed to assert dominance without some form of conflict. Even paradise birds displaying bright coloured wings to win a patch of ground to clean up is an aggressive display. Pray tell how a country is supposed to do better?

This was our war on both fronts, the US usurped the German effort to crush your collapsing empire in WWI
Erm, I'm not sure you are aware of how WWI started, was conducted or finished. The Kaiser wasn't intending on destroying the Empire. Even if he wanted to, this is 1914. Germany doesn't have a plan for invading the British Isles, nor does it have the capability to cross the Channel in large enough numbers to subdue the UK, and certainly not the rest of the Empire.

in WWI and drew the Japanese into a doomed conflict
Also, you are aware that Japan was on the Allies side during WWI? And they finished that war in quite an advantageous position? No? Thought not.

drew the Japanese into a doomed conflict that turned them into a vassal state along with southern Korea
Oooh, you meant WWII?!? That makes slightly more sense. Yes. The United States dragged the Japanese over to Pearl Harbour kicking and screaming, forced them to destroy battleship row, all after making them invade the far east, murder 300,000 chinese people at Nanking and sack Singapore. I remember now.

Erm...ok... you must've missed the part about the 8 figure death toll to invade japan and end WWII by force...
And yeah, that is the point of the threat of force. If you are unwilling to use it, then it isn't a threat.

The Soviets never had half of the industrial capacity of the US
Erm, not sure where you're getting that data, but I'm sure somewhere there's a die-hard communist crying into his gulag at having his hard work devalued.

barely 10% of the nuclear stockpile
This is my favourite bullshit statistic. Do you know when this was actually true? 1960.
The Soviets aggressively pursued nuclear parity with the US, and overtook them by the mid 70s on a nearly 2:1 basis and stayed that way until START. At the moment, it's a pretty even 50:50 split with the Russians slightly ahead.

it was never a threat to the US
Ha! Someone has never heard of the Berlin Airlift. Oh that poor USSR, alone and powerless with the big bad US and UK towering over it.

the Cold War was made and managed by the US while the Soviets just played along for what it was worth
Yes. Played along with 40,000 nuclear weapons. Why couldn't the USSR 'peaceably establish dominance'? Because the Russians had no intention to be peaceful, but lacked the means to establish forcible dominance. Whereas the US held all the cards in 1945.
If it really wanted to delete communism, it would have done so there and then. The nation was already geared into a war effort. The economy was churning out the supplies required. The US military were in a position to invade Russia from not just Europe, but also via China (our allies at that point) and most of the far East. The US was providing 5% of its own food supplies to keep the Russians from starving after Stalins 'scorched earth' withdrawal tactic basically ruined the Soviets agricultural capacity. They were also the only nation with atomic weapons and had the strategic bomber fleet to deliver them.

The Russians had none of these things.

So explain to me please why if the US were so insistent on destroying the USSR and establishing themselves as no.1 on the planet, why they didn't destroy the USSR in 1945?

Currently the US operates a line of bases from Australia to South Korea
Yes. A base in Australia. And a base in South Korea.

the finest soldiers equipped with the finest gear ever produced
As a member of the finest group of soldiers ever trained, I take actual offence to half that statement.

poised to kill hundreds of millions of Chinese at a moments notice
And I thought my jokes were bad.

Let me see. Where did I hear a far eastern nation saying the before? Around 1940-1941 ish? Remind me again?

the US menace will peaceably dissolve itself
And I just know you for one will be happy to accept your benevolent new Chinese overlords.
And then you can get a real taste of actual democracy. Dislike the 2 party system? Well that's handy, cos China only has one so you'll always get what you asked for.
To paraphrase Henry Ford. 'You can vote anyway you like, as long as it's for the CCP.'

make a mess of Korean and Japanese shipping and effectively eliminate the entire consumer electronics market in the west
Erm, why would that collapse the US? Silicon valley would be more than happy to take the slack dropped. Jesus man, we need to sit down and talk actual strategic things here, because you're waaay off mark. All china would need to do is mobilise its entirely peaceful 1 million man reserve army and march them into the country next door and get them to surrender. That alone would cripple any military force of the 21st century, trying to provide Geneva mandated care to 1 million POWs.

Believing oneself to be the savior of humanity while speaking of imagined threats is paranoid delusion 100% of the time
It's only paranoia if no one is out to get you.

Unfortunately thus:
the savior of humanity is our fleeting ability to reason and work together without fear of others and their ways
has never been a thing. There hasn't been a day of peace in around 4 and half thousand years. Something I've no doubt you'll blame on Trump or the UK or the Rothschilds or Illuminati or something. Mankind (and all animals) operate on one very simple impulse

'I NEED THINGS'.
if you can make things, great. But if you have a thing, and I want that thing and I can't make that thing but you can't stop me taking that thing away from you, then guess what's gonna happen?
That isn't a US thing or an Empire thing. That is common across all sentient animals, whether you like it or not, and if you want to keep your things then you either need sharp teeth or a big fucking stick. And you need them to be sharper and bigger than anyone elses as well.

If anything, it utterly beggers my mind how little credit you give the United States post-War. For the first and only time in history, a nation had the power to take anything it wanted, from anyone it wanted, whenever it wanted and didn't.

No other nation, human, animal or creature on this Earth since the dawn of sentient life has ever shown that much restraint.