Shuttle War!

The Astronomer

ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
Lol ok. I see it as a skill far above and beyond rocket design. Seriously it's hell to pay if you want to come up with a fully functional shuttle that still looks like something.
Yeah, I understand that even more when I saw, in Dreadnought's words, those shitty Shuttle replicas in the Discord server. I don't even have that skill myself.

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Lol ok. I see it as a skill far above and beyond rocket design. Seriously it's hell to pay if you want to come up with a fully functional shuttle that still looks like something.
So true... I've retired mine from launches now, opting for bigger rockets, but I considered a redesign for a while due to the small payload space a lack of wheels.

T

TtTOtW

The SCS Radiant should cover absolutely all your shuttle needs. But if she falls short, there are a hundred simple adaptations to make her fit the role you desire of her.

T

TtTOtW

I mean honestly, I haven't needed to design a new rocket or any form of transporter for some time now.

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Yeah, I'm getting to that point too, kinda just waiting to be able to use the tech I've already made (want a better phone!). It's really nice that the SCS has so many docks though, that's one thing I've always had problems with. I'm kinda just working on optimizing things right now, replacing older tech with better looking things. I've kinda given up on ground stuff for Titan though, as the Tsar Drive would be the way I'd bring it, but I can't use that.

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
... because it's not for showing off, but for ACTUAL USE.
It doesn't help me that I'm a perfectionist, which is partly why my builds get so complicated. Also why I kinda hate designing things now. But, I keep going, because usually the finished product turns out well.

T

TtTOtW

Putting the cargo hold below rather than above, has given me a whole expanse of potential for all sorts of things. Like MOAR DOCKING POARTS!!! Lol

Danny Batten

Sanctor **《T》** MT/SP/TE/ Governor of Terra SOI
Professor
Registered
Couldn't resist to post here, although the last reply is in november: this is my STS: the Endeavour. View attachment 14494
Unlike @TtTOtW 's SCS this shuttle's is designed only to bring cargo to orbit and back: I've tested with 130 tons and still had fuel left on her tank. The cargo is more limited by space than weight. View attachment 14527 View attachment 14528
The probe on the ET is to make it landable after every launch. I do not destroy ET's, I land them View attachment 14529
This Shuttle is equipped with an openable Cargo Bay Door and Retractable Landing Gear. View attachment 14530
And can Land without parachutes.... View attachment 14531
That is a fine looking craft you’ve got there. But for me STSs aren’t for me, but those landing gears are, can I see them? I’ve been on a quest for a while to make the most efficient reliable and small Retractable landing gear

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
And what better way to unveil the SCS Amber Δ4.1 than in Shuttle War...
View attachment 14544
... The payload. 200.03t. Emergency fuel station, for those times when you got to orbit, but you simply won't reach your target or desired altitude.
View attachment 14543
And FINALLY... behold: the SCS Amber Δ4.1 private Emperor's long distance spacecraft. Truly a single launch space station.
View attachment 14542
View attachment 14541
Now drop that last booster:
View attachment 14540
... and let's get her set up.
View attachment 14539 View attachment 14538 View attachment 14537
Solar panels up, activate commsat. Install battery packs to dedicated slot. Install Heavy Landing support Packs (HeLPs).
View attachment 14536
Install fuel station in perfect 31km orbit...
View attachment 14535
And there you have it. Fuel. Charge. Comms. Cargo and crew transport. Orbital accommodation. Expansion and exploration base. Landable. Fully reusable. Integrated defense and armour. Swift. VTOL enabled. Replenishable supplies. Attachment friendly. Solar System wide fuel range. 200t to LEO. 500t 0g capacity. 29.5x7m cargo hold.

And it looks hot...

What more do you want?
Ok... Will do the rest of this challenge tomorrow.
Awesome, man! A one-launch portable station and an AMAZING spacecraft!!

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
That is a fine looking craft you’ve got there. But for me STSs aren’t for me, but those landing gears are, can I see them? I’ve been on a quest for a while to make the most efficient reliable and small Retractable landing gear
Its miles behind you:). Here:
Screenshot_20190308-144900.png

Works 97% of the times. Even in atmospheric flight conditions. Tested.

T

TtTOtW

Ok right...
Screenshot_20190309-021916.png

Primary refuelling drone activate...
Screenshot_20190309-024858.png
Screenshot_20190309-025243.png

Now for the short journey to the launchpad.
Screenshot_20190309-045531.png
Screenshot_20190309-050832.png

And hold.
Screenshot_20190310-005230.png
Screenshot_20190310-005244.png
Screenshot_20190310-010127.png

Shuttle in launch posture. Upper booster secured.
Screenshot_20190310-104343.png

Lower booster and cargo ready.
Screenshot_20190310-105415.png

Assembly complete.

Attachments

Holy cow, that is awesome. And without bp edits to boot.

I'm still enjoying efficiency over design in my game but if I get bored and want to try something different I might try something like this. Could be a shuttle, but maybe something else.

My first try... I hasn't launched with cargo, but this Shuttle has low cargo capacity, maybe around 15 tons of extra cargo. I've had trouble with the launching trajectory, the tanks and thrust power weren't very well balanced, i had to transfer some fuel to Shuttle's main tanks at some orbital point, but at least it reached orbit, on my Space Station (needs some repair...).
View attachment 6963
At orbital trajectory (trouble with thrust power balancing here).
View attachment 6964
Encountering Station's orbit.
View attachment 6965
Docked on Station.
View attachment 6966
When you create these kinds of shuttles you need to build the booster and shuttle separate and balance the TW ratio until they are the same or close