Space Shuttle Cosmos-Take me to the moon

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I have completed the shuttle challenge and am now waiting for submission. However, in my excitement of landing safely on the ground, I forgot to take a screenshot of the mission log. Also, I clipped 10 parachutes together in two different areas, which is why it looks like I only used 2. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Buildgrid and Launchpad:
Screenshot_20230913-185004.png

Screenshot_20230913-185024.png

LEO:
Screenshot_20230913-185316.png

Payload Deployment:
Screenshot_20230913-185458.png

Re-entry:
Screenshot_20230913-185903.png

Floating safely to the ground:
Screenshot_20230913-190134.png

Landing:
Screenshot_20230913-190158.png

Mission Log:
NO IMAGE FOUND

I will do the mission again if you want me to, and I'll give the blueprint on request.

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
1. You need the mission log.
2. The shuttle (preferably) wants to look nice, so BP edit those heatshields and add a half fairing to that payload bay so that big hole gets covered up.

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I will do that tomorrow. I do need permission from parents to download new apps, and it's getting late for me. Besides, it may not look pretty, but it gets the job done.

Hermes

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
I have completed the shuttle challenge and am now waiting for submission. However, in my excitement of landing safely on the ground, I forgot to take a screenshot of the mission log. Also, I clipped 10 parachutes together in two different areas, which is why it looks like I only used 2. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Buildgrid and Launchpad:
View attachment 106908
View attachment 106909

LEO:
View attachment 106910

Payload Deployment:
View attachment 106911

Re-entry: View attachment 106912

Floating safely to the ground:
View attachment 106913

Landing: View attachment 106914

Mission Log:
NO IMAGE FOUND

I will do the mission again if you want me to, and I'll give the blueprint on request.
I don't believe that that made it to orbit. Doesn't look like nearly enough fuel for an orbit like that

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Deepest apologies for the delay.

The standards that we look for in this challenge:

1. That the shuttle + booster stack carries at least 10% of its lift-off mass as payload to orbit. So with a mass of 500t for example, it must bring at least a 50t payload to orbit. This means you need to juggle the size of your orbiter and booster, so that each is doing an optimal part of the work. In your case, the booster should probably be smaller, and the shuttle should be bigger. Try to decrease the amount of fuel you need, by decreasing the amount of left-over fuel, and keeping the dry mass as low as possible.

2. The shuttle should look nicer. :) One of the biggest things is trying to not make it look like a regular rocket with a payload bay, nose, tail and heatshield slapped on. When you're reworking your shuttle, make a tail for it, the nose look nice, the heatshield fit the nose, etc.
You DON'T need to BP edit for this, you could change the shape of your nose so one side is nice and flat for the heat shield to stick on to.
Additionally, a good thing to do to make your shuttle look better is to use fairings or separators to not make the cargo bay be a huge hole.

Overall it needs to look more shuttle-y and be more efficient at carrying payloads.

Don't hesitate to look at previous entries and other's shuttles for inspiration.
Here are some:
Fly me to the moon submission
Fly me to the Moon entry
Fly me to the moon challenge
Shuttle