SR2: The Good, the Bad, and the Aerodynamically Infeasible

BANDWITH

Embodiment of Made In Abyss spoilers
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered
I’ve been designing a cycle spaceship to land and return from SR2’s Mars analogue, also known as Cylero.
Turns out, that’s not as easy to do as you might think. Or, at least, for me that is. Things get rather roundabout sometimes.

68B2A85C-08EC-405C-85AC-4E1262BB313C.png

Starting off, there is the Practice Station, placed in a comfy orbit with a height of 139km above Droo. This is a screenshot of the second module after it was attached. It may look clean-ish now, but eventually it will start to resemble Mir.

1B664610-3650-4A79-9A8F-5F14456677F9.png

Soon, more modules arrived on my main carrier rocket, the aptly named Station Builder 4 (SB4). It has a maximum payload of 20 tons. The second stage puts the modules in a very roughly 80km orbit in order to quickly catch up with the station.

0B6BA05F-C55E-475D-B572-29965643BD6F.png

10845431-59EE-4EC9-8D83-509667492D0E.jpeg

The two hydrogen tanks. These were the most fun to dock. They also provided much needed monopropellant for refueling of crewed vessels, and command chips so that the booster on the right could be discarded. Unfortunately, the booster has no fuel.

729D20D1-EE73-4479-A571-6AE2178D8157.png

Here, a small crew of 2 resides in the station to supposedly survey the new function of the station as an orbital dry dock rather than an art deco. The large labeled hydrogen tank was sent up empty after the crew to test the viability of getting something that unwieldy into orbit using the SB4. It was soon removed and deorbited to crash into the desert.

AAD9907E-9CE7-43A2-BA34-AC3A987C1B2D.png

After an unmanned mission to Cylero which provided the rough budget for the full mission, a mockup of the CDAV (Cylero Decent/Ascent Vehicle) was sent up with crew to test fuel margins. Once the CDAV docked, the original 2 crew returned home for a splashdown in the ocean.

BC227238-0D21-4AFD-B90F-0277205BE9A1.png

6E79934A-5D3E-46A9-A6BB-5E2AA816F431.jpeg

Soon enough, construction of the CCC began. It stands for Cylero Cycle... something. I forgot what the last part was. Anyways, the fully fueled lander (“Hellas”) and crew cabin (“Ithaca”) were sent up on a SB4 along with a docking tube to allow space for the colossal hydrogen tank. Once the hydrogen tank and nuclear engine are brought up and fully fueled, they will make their way to Cylero.
Once in orbit, Hellas will descend to the surface with 3 of the four crew before docking back with Ithaca, depositing the crew. Then, it will be discarded in Cylero orbit to save return mass and to be refueled for use in later missions.

This is all I have so far. I’d spend all of tomorrow working on getting the ship interplanetary, but I’m only 50% done with my English class and the semester ends next week. (If I fail the class I have to go back to real school and die of the good ol’ CoV-2.)

But, a sneek peek of the next installment:
1A5098A5-9693-4964-B7AE-EA68DFFEF867.png

Attachments

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I’ve been designing a cycle spaceship to land and return from SR2’s Mars analogue, also known as Cylero.
Turns out, that’s not as easy to do as you might think. Or, at least, for me that is. Things get rather roundabout sometimes.

View attachment 53361
Starting off, there is the Practice Station, placed in a comfy orbit with a height of 139km above Droo. This is a screenshot of the second module after it was attached. It may look clean-ish now, but eventually it will start to resemble Mir.

View attachment 53362
Soon, more modules arrived on my main carrier rocket, the aptly named Station Builder 4 (SB4). It has a maximum payload of 20 tons. The second stage puts the modules in a very roughly 80km orbit in order to quickly catch up with the station.

View attachment 53363
View attachment 53364
The two hydrogen tanks. These were the most fun to dock. They also provided much needed monopropellant for refueling of crewed vessels, and command chips so that the booster on the right could be discarded. Unfortunately, the booster has no fuel.

View attachment 53365
Here, a small crew of 2 resides in the station to supposedly survey the new function of the station as an orbital dry dock rather than an art deco. The large labeled hydrogen tank was sent up empty after the crew to test the viability of getting something that unwieldy into orbit using the SB4. It was soon removed and deorbited to crash into the desert.

View attachment 53366
After an unmanned mission to Cylero which provided the rough budget for the full mission, a mockup of the CDAV (Cylero Decent/Ascent Vehicle) was sent up with crew to test fuel margins. Once the CDAV docked, the original 2 crew returned home for a splashdown in the ocean.

View attachment 53369
View attachment 53370
Soon enough, construction of the CCC began. It stands for Cylero Cycle... something. I forgot what the last part was. Anyways, the fully fueled lander (“Hellas”) and crew cabin (“Ithaca”) were sent up on a SB4 along with a docking tube to allow space for the colossal hydrogen tank. Once the hydrogen tank and nuclear engine are brought up and fully fueled, they will make their way to Cylero.
Once in orbit, Hellas will descend to the surface with 3 of the four crew before docking back with Ithaca, depositing the crew. Then, it will be discarded in Cylero orbit to save return mass and to be refueled for use in later missions.

This is all I have so far. I’d spend all of tomorrow working on getting the ship interplanetary, but I’m only 50% done with my English class and the semester ends next week. (If I fail the class I have to go back to real school and die of the good ol’ CoV-2.)

View attachment 53372
Whoo! Nice! :) :)

James Brown

Thinker/INTJ/investigator/Natural Science lover
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Wow, a great software

BANDWITH

Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered
Wow, a great software
Yeah, it really is.

And, for anyone looking to get it, I would recommend playing on iPad for performance and PC for visuals.

Looks a bit like KSP.
It’s a bit more forgiving than KSP when it comes to piloting your craft. I think the controls are a bit better, and it helps that it will complete planned burns for you.

BANDWITH

Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered
C559FB11-00F8-4DD9-8BF7-0DA4FC35741B.png

It has been nearly 24 hours since the first installment in the saga, and I bring y’all this.
Just that.

It seriously took 4 hours and upwards of 10 attempts to get that bastard CCC tank into orbit and dock. I had to design an entire new rocket, too.
I was thinking about being considerate and adding a power module in case the crew runs out of battery trying to stop some random bullshit from spinning, but then I remembered I don’t have the Δv for that. Shit sucks.

SFSAbhishek

/<***@Intricate Crafts are Mine✓***>\
Star Forger
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered

View attachment 53361

View attachment 53362

View attachment 53363
View attachment 53364

View attachment 53365

View attachment 53366

View attachment 53369
View attachment 53370

View attachment 53372
Beautiful

T

TtTOtW

View attachment 53465
It has been nearly 24 hours since the first installment in the saga, and I bring y’all this.
Just that.

It seriously took 4 hours and upwards of 10 attempts to get that bastard CCC tank into orbit and dock. I had to design an entire new rocket, too.
I was thinking about being considerate and adding a power module in case the crew runs out of battery trying to stop some random bullshit from spinning, but then I remembered I don’t have the Δv for that. Shit sucks.
Yeah. Death is beautiful...
... well, depending on your position of observation, of course :).

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
But the bad thing is, SR2 needs money……

BANDWITH

Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered
13A6CEE7-8317-4A94-8FFB-0CC5E5C84889.jpeg

9F74F4DF-6F3E-4B07-9AAB-E693214D1D5C.png

The crew has arrived, and Expedition I will begin at the next Cylero transfer window. The docking craft will descend to a lower orbit to aid in docking when the expedition returns.

Also, the crew roster:
  • Billy Phillips
  • Renya Leonard
  • Leyla Hinton
  • Makai Hanson
Since the lander only has space enough for 3, Billy Phillips will stay in orbit, denoted by a white spacesuit. The rest of the crew have blue suits to contrast the surface of Cylero.

BANDWITH

Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered
60B840C6-60EC-4A37-BE12-0CA344E8F1AC.png

FE8DCE91-606C-41B6-83C3-A3EA39325E0B.png

A8A908A5-F101-4C9A-97F0-D9210B029E95.png
E9C9DB25-F832-4100-A6A8-DFC15284EF3F.png
B676697D-FED4-4240-81BA-E8D20F17A1DF.jpeg
31F56DAD-3A06-4877-9484-A6197E1CE13D.png
3D1CFBDB-6FCC-4A66-BE64-736FECFBEC5E.png
578DD6EB-35B3-46BC-9794-63C7C33910DF.jpeg

Hellas has landed! One colossally big step for Droodkind, especially when they have yet to return from the surface of Luna.

Getting back to the CCC tank and Billy might be a bit of a problem though, given the fact that the CDAV thinks it is upside down, and will thus point in the exact opposite direction it is supposed to. (ie. hitting the retrograde button will make it point prograde) This makes the auto-burn feature unusable, so docking is going to have to be completely manual.

Attachments

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Wow SR2 even have astronauts!

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
Wow SR2 even have astronauts!
As well as highly customizable rocket engines, highly customizable jet engines, highly customizable fuel tanks, an incredibly powerful in-game planet editor (only officially supported on the PC version), a powerful in-game programming system similar to Scratch, and a lot more. A career mode is also planned to be added before the game leaves early access. I'm also a moderator on the official website, for what it's worth.

T

TtTOtW

As well as highly customizable rocket engines, highly customizable jet engines, highly customizable fuel tanks, an incredibly powerful in-game planet editor (only officially supported on the PC version), a powerful in-game programming system similar to Scratch, and a lot more. A career mode is also planned to be added before the game leaves early access. I'm also a moderator on the official website, for what it's worth.
Does that mean you can sneak me a copy of everything?