SR2: The Good, the Bad, and the Aerodynamically Infeasible

BANDWITH

Embodiment of Made In Abyss spoilers
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered
I believe I have topped this screenshot. This is taken from a mission I took the Dragonfly on today where I would travel to another launch site about 950km away, bomb it, and return to base.
View attachment 53785
Nice. Are you planning to do some sort of “Fall of Kerbin” sort of thing with someone else or is this just for shits and giggles?

On a different note, it seems you can use planet studio on mobile (at least, iPad). However, it comes at the steep price of a $150-300 paywall, by way of iPad keyboards. I already have one so I know it works, so unless anyone is super interested in doing this stuff on the go, the investment is not worth it.

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
Nice. Are you planning to do some sort of “Fall of Kerbin” sort of thing with someone else or is this just for shits and giggles?
Just for fun. Started out as a project to see how maneuverable of an aircraft I could make, and then it escalated into something a bit cooler. First screenshot I have of it is this:
unknown-227.png

As you can see, there are a number of differences. Nose is derpier, canards are bigger, further up the front, and further down, inlets are shaped differently, winglets are longer, pointed inwards instead of outwards, no winglets on the bottom of the wings, no leading-edge extensions, no thrust vectoring, no drop tanks, no weapons (though this only applies if being compared to the armed version), it uses the default textures, and it uses the default paint scheme. I've been working on this off and on since the beginning of January.

BANDWITH

Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered
3rd CCC is going up, along with the payload station.

So, in total, 3 CCCs will send 4 crew, 5 rounds of CDAV fuel, and crew capacity for 10.
Expedition II crew will stay at the station. The 3 CCCs will return and be stocked with surface modules, along with an expanded crew transport for Expedition III.
8051F657-1623-44ED-A9D9-041FCBA03FFF.png

BANDWITH

Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered

BANDWITH

Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered
EA716AE9-D906-4608-AB22-FF6646A762E2.png

As a bit of an intermission, I’ve been thinking about what will come with the new update.
I’ve got my eyes set on that Enceladus analog, which looks like it will be a good place to set up shop.

However, since I want to go into the new update with an air of visual/functional realism (meaning mock life support that is extremely heavy), getting there will be a supreme pain in the ass. The estimates my pink cooling organ came up with are a hefty 7.5km/s Δv for transfer, capture, transfer to the weird moon, and another capture, but even that might be low. This means the 20 Droods ain’t coming back until I can figure out how the hell to get them home without looking like I just went through chemo.

A possibly easier location exists, though. There’s this handy Iapetus analog which looks very pleasant.
1594FC3A-3DDC-47F9-8197-2DC4350FBFDA.png

The problem is that I don’t like the look of the gas giant it orbits, Tydos. Otherwise, a pretty cool location.
The pink Laythe analog there, Nebra, is really goofy, but it still seems like an okay location. Obviously, this is because I love the look of gas giants through atmosphere, especially at sunsets. Even better, because the bluish color I believe Nebra’s sunsets will be should contrast Tydos quite nicely.

James Brown

Thinker/INTJ/investigator/Natural Science lover
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
NeW uPdAtEs!!!!!

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
noice! :D :D

AstronautAdam

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I’ve been designing a cycle spaceship to land and return from SR2’s Mars analogue, also known as Cylero.
Turns out, that’s not as easy to do as you might think. Or, at least, for me that is. Things get rather roundabout sometimes.

View attachment 53361
Starting off, there is the Practice Station, placed in a comfy orbit with a height of 139km above Droo. This is a screenshot of the second module after it was attached. It may look clean-ish now, but eventually it will start to resemble Mir.

View attachment 53362
Soon, more modules arrived on my main carrier rocket, the aptly named Station Builder 4 (SB4). It has a maximum payload of 20 tons. The second stage puts the modules in a very roughly 80km orbit in order to quickly catch up with the station.

View attachment 53363
View attachment 53364
The two hydrogen tanks. These were the most fun to dock. They also provided much needed monopropellant for refueling of crewed vessels, and command chips so that the booster on the right could be discarded. Unfortunately, the booster has no fuel.

View attachment 53365
Here, a small crew of 2 resides in the station to supposedly survey the new function of the station as an orbital dry dock rather than an art deco. The large labeled hydrogen tank was sent up empty after the crew to test the viability of getting something that unwieldy into orbit using the SB4. It was soon removed and deorbited to crash into the desert.

View attachment 53366
After an unmanned mission to Cylero which provided the rough budget for the full mission, a mockup of the CDAV (Cylero Decent/Ascent Vehicle) was sent up with crew to test fuel margins. Once the CDAV docked, the original 2 crew returned home for a splashdown in the ocean.

View attachment 53369
View attachment 53370
Soon enough, construction of the CCC began. It stands for Cylero Cycle... something. I forgot what the last part was. Anyways, the fully fueled lander (“Hellas”) and crew cabin (“Ithaca”) were sent up on a SB4 along with a docking tube to allow space for the colossal hydrogen tank. Once the hydrogen tank and nuclear engine are brought up and fully fueled, they will make their way to Cylero.
Once in orbit, Hellas will descend to the surface with 3 of the four crew before docking back with Ithaca, depositing the crew. Then, it will be discarded in Cylero orbit to save return mass and to be refueled for use in later missions.

This is all I have so far. I’d spend all of tomorrow working on getting the ship interplanetary, but I’m only 50% done with my English class and the semester ends next week. (If I fail the class I have to go back to real school and die of the good ol’ CoV-2.)

But, a sneek peek of the next installment:
View attachment 53372
What is this software??? It looks really nice and is that compatible with Android 6.0???