The Complete Solar System!

T

TtTOtW

That would be beyond my personal knowledge but much could be done by a clever mod. So ask the knowledgeable person on the subject about it. Since they already displayed that it can be done.

I made some delta-V calculations for the Saturn system after a demand from 8bitCosmonaut .
They apply to the latest version: 1.1.
I won't make a graphic delta-V map as I did for planets and moons from stock game, so I apologize for the raw presentation, but this really takes a lot of time. So here are the results:

Injection from LEO to Saturn system: 1342 m/s

When burning at Saturn periapse (or aerobraking), Insertion into:
  • Low Saturn Orbit: 2116 m/s
  • Transfer trajectory to Mimas: 501 m/s - Insertion LMO: 799 m/s
  • Transfer trajectory to Enceladus: 417 m/s - Insertion LEO: 625 m/s
  • Transfer trajectory to Tethys: 354 m/s - Insertion LTO: 834 m/s
  • Transfer trajectory to Dione: 297m/s - Insertion LDO: 807 m/s
  • Transfer trajectory to Rhea: 237m/s - Insertion LRO: 667 m/s
  • Transfer trajectory to Titan: 148m/s - Insertion LTO: 443 m/s
  • Transfer trajectory to Hyperion: 136m/s - Insertion LHO: 517 m/s
  • Transfer trajectory to Iapetus: 102m/s - Insertion Iapetus: 298 m/s

With a bi-elliptic transfer:

Burn at Saturn periapse: 84 m/s (sets your ship on an orbit which apoapsis is at SOI's level)

Transfer to:
  • Low Mimas Orbit: 21 m/s (at apoapsis) + 608 m/s (insertion)
  • Low Enceladus Orbit: 25 m/s (at apoapsis) + 414 m/s (insertion)
  • Low Titan Orbit: 69 m/s (at apoapsis) + 337 m/s (insertion)
  • Low Iapetus Orbit: 117 m/s (at apoapsis) + 77 m/s (insertion)
Bi-elliptic transfers are more efficient but also require more time and one additional maneuver. I only included the inner, outer, and the 2 most famous moons for now, but I can include the remaining ones later.

Transfer from moon to moon:
  • Mimas to Enceladus: 69 m/s (Escape Mimas) + 123 m/s (Insertion Enceladus)
  • Enceladus to Tethys: 120 m/s (Escape Enceladus) + 56 m/s (Insertion Tethys)
  • Tethys to Dione: 62 m/s (Escape Tethys) + 69 m/s (Insertion Dione)
  • Dione to Rhea: 89 m/s (Escape Dione) + 65 m/s (Insertion Rhea)
  • Rhea to Titan: 141 m/s (Escape Rhea) + 320 m/s (Insertion Titan)
  • Titan to Hyperion: 310 m/s (Escape Titan) + 27 m/s (Insertion Hyperion)
  • Hyperion to Lapetus: 115 m/s (Escape Hyperion) + 68 m/s (Insertion Iapetus)
Note that all those transfers can be read in both directions: a transfer from Enceladus to Mimas cost the same as a transfer from Mimas to Enceladus.

Of course, keep in mind that those are theorethical values, so you may include a margin when planning your trip. If a delta-V value seems really way off the one indicated, please let me know, I'll check it.
Calculations complete,
Earth departure mass: 747300 kg
Titan Insertion mass: 606700 kg
Total Dv: 2085 m/s

Saturn departure mass: 285400 kg
Earth Insertion mass: 231400 kg
Total Dv: 2098 m/s

Could you help me double check if I have enough Delta velocity?

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
What do you want me to check exactly? The delta-V available to your ship? I'll need more characteristics for that (Isp etc...).

When you say "Earth departure", is it in LEO, or on the launchpad?

What do you want me to check exactly? The delta-V available to your ship? I'll need more characteristics for that (Isp etc...).

When you say "Earth departure", is it in LEO, or on the launchpad?
By getting from LEO to Saturn to Titan orbit. I need to double check if its correct to add 1342m/s (LEO to Saturn Enc.)+ 148m/s + 443m/s (Titan trans. and orbit).

And no way in hell am I launching a manned mission to Saturn with just one launch.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
By getting from LEO to Saturn to Titan orbit. I need to double check if its correct to add 1342m/s (LEO to Saturn Enc.)+ 148m/s + 443m/s (Titan trans. and orbit).

And no way in hell am I launching a manned mission to Saturn with just one launch.
Well... If you strap 50 Saturn Vs together...

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend

Ah yeah, that's correct, but you can use aerobraking on the 2 last maneuvers, and reduce the delta-V needed.
Initially, that's how it must be read:
- 1342 m/s from LEO to get to Saturn
- 148 m/s when you reach Saturn periapsis, the purpose is to put your ship in orbit, by setting the apoapsis at Titan level. Aerobraking can help there. Then you have to get an encounter with Titan.
- 443 m/s when you've encountered Titan, at Titan periapsis. This is to satellize around Titan. Again, you can use aerobraking here.

So yes, the calculation is correct (but I end up with 1933 m/s, not 2085 m/s), without taking into account aerobraking though.
There's also a possibility that consists in inserting into Titan orbit directly, without burning at Saturn's periapse, but this will cost you way more delta-V, because you lose the Oberth effect from Saturn. As you can aerobrake on Titan, this is an option though.

For the return part this works too, but this supposes you use an Oberth maneuver: leave Titan orbit (if you leave from Titan) to get into Saturn orbit, with your periapsis set at Low Saturn Orbit level. Then at the periapsis, perform your injection burn. Of course, for this to work you must leave Titan so that your ellipse is correctly oriented, so this requires some anticipation, but that's doable with practice.

Ah yeah, that's correct, but you can use aerobraking on the 2 last maneuvers, and reduce the delta-V needed.
Initially, that's how it must be read:
- 1342 m/s from LEO to get to Saturn
- 148 m/s when you reach Saturn periapsis, the purpose is to put your ship in orbit, by setting the apoapsis at Titan level. Aerobraking can help there. Then you have to get an encounter with Titan.
- 443 m/s when you've encountered Titan, at Titan periapsis. This is to satellize around Titan. Again, you can use aerobraking here.

So yes, the calculation is correct (but I end up with 1933 m/s, not 2085 m/s), without taking into account aerobraking though.
There's also a possibility that consists in inserting into Titan orbit directly, without burning at Saturn's periapse, but this will cost you way more delta-V, because you lose the Oberth effect from Saturn. As you can aerobrake on Titan, this is an option though.

For the return part this works too, but this supposes you use an Oberth maneuver: leave Titan orbit (if you leave from Titan) to get into Saturn orbit, with your periapsis set at Low Saturn Orbit level. Then at the periapsis, perform your injection burn. Of course, for this to work you must leave Titan so that your ellipse is correctly oriented, so this requires some anticipation, but that's doable with practice.
Great! Thanks!

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Is there a way to install this and retain your current vehicles in orbit?
Yeah, replacing the planet files doesn't change anything. As long as you keep the planet names the same, that is (at least for this pack).

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Hey, quick question... Would you be willing to make an update to fix the issues with the Kronian Moons? Specifically the scale... A lot of em are way too big.