The Complete Solar System!

Oh yeah, I can't calculate that because it depends on your lander (and on its TWR), and even with that known that's very difficult (TWR depends on how much fuel you have remaining etc...)
What I can do is giving you the orbital speed around each body. It tells you you need at least that, and for low-g bodies you can consider the difference is negligible.
I'll complete my post tonight.
Actually my trajectory plan was different. I plan to perform aerobraking at Titan upon arrival, and explore the rest of the moons starting from Titan. So some segments on your table couldn't help much.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Actually my trajectory plan was different. I plan to perform aerobraking at Titan upon arrival, and explore the rest of the moons starting from Titan. So some segments on your table couldn't help much.
Ah true, you can directly aerobrake on Titan.
Do you know what your trajectory will be? That could help, so that I can calculate only the missing transfers. Otherwise, as there are 8 moons, there are a lot of combinations when travelling from a moon to another moon.

Ah true, you can directly aerobrake on Titan.
Do you know what your trajectory will be? That could help, so that I can calculate only the missing transfers. Otherwise, as there are 8 moons, there are a lot of combinations when travelling from a moon to another moon.
I plan to aerobrake on Titan, and burn the main engines a little to get into LTO. From there the 3 Titan exploration aeroshells will be undocked and sent to Titan's surface which will carry 4 crew members, but enough of that.

From LTO, a separate Inter-Saturnian exploration vehicle with a lander docked to it will transport the lander in between moons, it will also contain extra fuel for the lander. Here's the plan, the exploration vehicle will head for Rhea, Dione, Tethys, Enceladus and then Mimas, I plan to fly directly to Hyperion from Mimas, possibly do a gravity assist using the largest inner moon Enceladus to save on the need to carry more fuel.

From Hyperion, we'll head to Iapetus before finally returning to Titan to rendezvous with the mothership.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Ok, so if I understand well you also need the transfer cost from Mimas to Hyperion (I can't take into account gravity assist though) and Iapetus to Titan.
The rest of the transfers are already available (keep in mind that a transfer like "Rhea to Titan" works in both directions: "Titan to Rhea" costs the same).

I have figured out how much delta V I need to land on all the moons (except Titan since it has its own ascent vehicle), so you don't need to worry about that.
Ok thanks :)

Ok, so if I understand well you also need the transfer cost from Mimas to Hyperion (I can't take into account gravity assist though) and Iapetus to Titan.
The rest of the transfers are already available (keep in mind that a transfer like "Rhea to Titan" works in both directions: "Titan to Rhea" costs the same).
How's it going?

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Ok, here are the remaining transfers:
  • Mimas to Hyperion: 482 m/s (escape Mimas) + 331 m/s (insertion Hyperion)
  • Iapetus to Titan: 83 m/s (escape Iapetus) + 320 m/s (insertion Titan)
I think it's good for now, but don't hesitate if you need other transfers. :)

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Ok, here are the remaining transfers:
  • Mimas to Hyperion: 482 m/s (escape Mimas) + 331 m/s (insertion Hyperion)
  • Iapetus to Titan: 83 m/s (escape Iapetus) + 320 m/s (insertion Titan)
I think it's good for now, but don't hesitate if you need other transfers. :)
Have you posted the formulas that you use for that somewhere? I'd be interested to see how the process works.

Altaïr In case you're curious, the mission I am doing is a continuation to the long abandoned Jupiter Direct mission, when I complete and post the details, you should start seeing designs familiar to you.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Have you posted the formulas that you use for that somewhere? I'd be interested to see how the process works.
I did, but I don't remember which thread it was... :oops:
But the idea is simple: I can easily calculate the speed of any object at the periapsis and at the apoapsis of its trajectory. That also applies to any point of a circular orbit of course.

For example, in the case of the transfer Earth to Saturn, I consider a transfer orbit, which periapsis is at Earth level, and apoapsis at Saturn level. I can calculate the ship's speed at Earth level, and the Earth's speed, which gives me the speed difference between Earth and the ship (I consider the velocities are aligned). I also have to take into account the speed loss due to Earth's gravity, but the formula for that is simple. This finally gives me the speed I should reach at Earth's level. By considering I am already at 1655 m/s (the speed required to be in LEO), that gives me the delta-V to provide from LEO.

When I want to calculate the delta-V to provide for the insertion burn on Saturn (let's assume I aim for Low Saturn Orbit), that's the same logic. I can calculate the speed difference between Saturn and the ship, and the speed gained from Saturn's gravity. That gives me the speed at LSO level. I can calculate the speed required to be in LSO, so my arrival speed minus LSO speed is the delta-V I'll have to provide.

I already have a file to make all those calculations, so it's relatively fast. The most tedious part is extracting the necessary planet data from the files for the calculations.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
What about Pluto and Charon?
Ok, I finally took time to do it.

Transfer Earth to Pluto system:
Injection burn (from LEO): 1538 m/s

Insertion into Low Pluto Orbit: 695 m/s

Transfer from LPO to...
- Charon: 109 m/s (injection burn) + 42 m/s (insertion Charon)
- Styx: 114 m/s (injection burn) + 24 m/s (insertion Styx)
- Earth: 695 m/s

Transfer from Charon to Styx:
- 36 m/s (injection burn from Charon) + 8 m/s (insertion around Styx)

Physical characteristics:
- Pluto: orbital speed: 286 m/s; g=1.067 m/s2
- Charon: orbital speed: 99 m/s; g=0.283 m/s2
- Styx: orbital speed: 16 m/s; g=0.076 m/s2

Tell me if you need something else!

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Don't worry, it's not that long. Calculating those values is still the easy part to me. Making a graphic delta-V map for the stock game planets was much more painful.

The mod I use personally is another one (the one from Miky), but I took the values from that one (version 1.1) to make the calculations.