Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Thank you very much! Now I can create realistic atmospheres for my RSS planets!
You're welcome :)
I already created a realistic real-size Earth if you want, it's available in the LEO challenge I made quite recently. Except that I couldn't solve the "liquid ground" problem.

T

TtTOtW

@GuHP20 All these planet mod ideas are yours except RSS. Attempt no working on it. ;)

Alternatively, come to the dark side. We have cookies.
Hahaha... we got milk. And tea. And pizza that used to ( :( ) be delivered by a space cat. The cat now has his own refuelling station, sponsored by the whole forum a few months ago. Everybody pitched in with parts and fuel when he lost his delivery job... Oh, and we have the Rocketer's Inn. Can't beat that :)

Gecko Gekkota

Former Empress of the AE
Forum Technician
Hahaha... we got milk. And tea. And pizza that used to ( :( ) be delivered by a space cat. The cat now has his own refuelling station, sponsored by the whole forum a few months ago. Everybody pitched in with parts and fuel when he lost his delivery job... Oh, and we have the Rocketer's Inn. Can't beat that :)
no you cannot.
20180823_224222.png

T

TtTOtW

Hahaha... only if you are not in the SE, will you not expect LOX or RP1 or SpaceX peanuts when the Inn gets mentioned :)
A peanut sample for the good Lieutenant, waiter?

The Astronomer

ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
I took this mod, then completely reworked the Saturn system over as a proof of concept that you don't need to change their moons' orbit ratio from 1:20 to 1:10 and mess up the rest for it to work. Everything in this system is scaled to 1:20 the real thing, from Saturn and its rings to all the moons, all radii and distances, and all bodies' gravity is exactly the same as in real life. SOI multiplier is set at 1.0 for all the moons.

All moons' SOI are outside their surfaces, so they can all be landed upon, although Mimas, Enceladus, and Tethys' SOIs are annoyingly small (especially Mimas), so feel free to bump up their SOI multipliers.

By the way, this will be the SFS Saturn system I work inside in the RP.

Last edited:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I made some delta-V calculations for the Saturn system after a demand from 8bitCosmonaut .
They apply to the latest version: 1.1.
I won't make a graphic delta-V map as I did for planets and moons from stock game, so I apologize for the raw presentation, but this really takes a lot of time. So here are the results:

Injection from LEO to Saturn system: 1342 m/s

When burning at Saturn periapse (or aerobraking), Insertion into:
  • Low Saturn Orbit: 2116 m/s
  • Transfer trajectory to Mimas: 501 m/s - Insertion LMO: 799 m/s
  • Transfer trajectory to Enceladus: 417 m/s - Insertion LEO: 625 m/s
  • Transfer trajectory to Tethys: 354 m/s - Insertion LTO: 834 m/s
  • Transfer trajectory to Dione: 297m/s - Insertion LDO: 807 m/s
  • Transfer trajectory to Rhea: 237m/s - Insertion LRO: 667 m/s
  • Transfer trajectory to Titan: 148m/s - Insertion LTO: 443 m/s
  • Transfer trajectory to Hyperion: 136m/s - Insertion LHO: 517 m/s
  • Transfer trajectory to Iapetus: 102m/s - Insertion Iapetus: 298 m/s

With a bi-elliptic transfer:

Burn at Saturn periapse: 84 m/s (sets your ship on an orbit which apoapsis is at SOI's level)

Transfer to:
  • Low Mimas Orbit: 21 m/s (at apoapsis) + 608 m/s (insertion)
  • Low Enceladus Orbit: 25 m/s (at apoapsis) + 414 m/s (insertion)
  • Low Titan Orbit: 69 m/s (at apoapsis) + 337 m/s (insertion)
  • Low Iapetus Orbit: 117 m/s (at apoapsis) + 77 m/s (insertion)
Bi-elliptic transfers are more efficient but also require more time and one additional maneuver. I only included the inner, outer, and the 2 most famous moons for now, but I can include the remaining ones later.

Transfer from moon to moon:
  • Mimas to Enceladus: 69 m/s (Escape Mimas) + 123 m/s (Insertion Enceladus)
  • Enceladus to Tethys: 120 m/s (Escape Enceladus) + 56 m/s (Insertion Tethys)
  • Tethys to Dione: 62 m/s (Escape Tethys) + 69 m/s (Insertion Dione)
  • Dione to Rhea: 89 m/s (Escape Dione) + 65 m/s (Insertion Rhea)
  • Rhea to Titan: 141 m/s (Escape Rhea) + 320 m/s (Insertion Titan)
  • Titan to Hyperion: 310 m/s (Escape Titan) + 27 m/s (Insertion Hyperion)
  • Hyperion to Lapetus: 115 m/s (Escape Hyperion) + 68 m/s (Insertion Iapetus)
Note that all those transfers can be read in both directions: a transfer from Enceladus to Mimas cost the same as a transfer from Mimas to Enceladus.

Of course, keep in mind that those are theorethical values, so you may include a margin when planning your trip. If a delta-V value seems really way off the one indicated, please let me know, I'll check it.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I guess I'll figure out the ascent and descent delta v myself.
Oh yeah, I can't calculate that because it depends on your lander (and on its TWR), and even with that known that's very difficult (TWR depends on how much fuel you have remaining etc...)
What I can do is giving you the orbital speed around each body. It tells you you need at least that, and for low-g bodies you can consider the difference is negligible.
I'll complete my post tonight.