The Workshops

Hey Horus. Been a few days since I've worked on the automatic mechanism out of sewing machine parts. Here's what I came up with. Pardon my funny descriptions for I am not familiar with the professional Oxford firearm vocabulary.
About the bolt... I plan to use a "cam & follower lock delay" design, same as the USAS-12 because it's (hopefully) theoretically easier to machine than a rotating bolt. Which also requires it to be gas-operated, which is what I am most inconfident of.

EDIT: When it converts from full auto to pump action, there will be a mechanism attached to the fire selector that will transfer cycling authority to the pump handle, and blocks the gas tube. Changing back to full auto just reverses the procedure.

Last edited:

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
When you say full auto, do you mean actual fully burst capable automatic fire or single shot semi-auto? Gas operation will be tricky as you'll have to work out much pressure you're gonna need to cycle the system properly.
Too much and it'll shake itself to bits, too little and it won't overcome the bolt lock resistance and spring force and won't cycle the weapon at all.

Cam and follower sounds easier to make, a rotating bolt and matching breech face with the required cams inside the bolt (like on an AR) may be a turd to machine.

When you say full auto, do you mean actual fully burst capable automatic fire or single shot semi-auto?
Like POM POM POM POM POM POM until the mag is empty or the trigger is released.

Gas operation will be tricky as you'll have to work out much pressure you're gonna need to cycle the system properly.
Yeah this is why I'm not confident of that.. Can't I just use the dimensions of an already working design? Like a Saiga or the USAS-12? I could make it recoil operated instead, like the Browning Auto 5.

I dont intend on trying out a blow back method, last thing I want is the bolt flying back too early and shoot hot gunpowder into the user's face.

Cam and follower sounds easier to make, a rotating bolt and matching breech face with the required cams inside the bolt (like on an AR) may be a turd to machine.
yay my intuition is correct!

Last edited:
Btw I have funny pranks you can pull on your friends or subordinates at the range. Fun for you and your friends.

1) weld the charging handle to the bolt on an M4 so everytime the guy shoots, the handle flies back and punches his teeth out

2) replace the 12 gauge shell in the guy's shotgun chamber with a .50 BMG round, place it back when he's not looking.

3) (stolen idea) replace some guy's 556 rifle magazine with 300 blackout.

4) replace a guy's makarov mag with 9x19 para rounds instead of 9x18

5) convince the left handed guy that the L85 is fully ambidextrous

1594190919116.png

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Do you think a double open sight like this would be practical irl?
Errrrmmmm yes ish and no. Depending on how you're gonna use them.

There's no defined 'centre' of the foresight, so you're always guessing where the actual point of aim is. That's not a huge issue in CQB if you just want to nail someone anywhere and they're basically filling the sight with bodymass to shoot, but if you're going for accurate shot placement (in the 'T' of the face for example) at anything over 25metres is going to be a matter of guesswork and judgement over precision.

The way I'd look at it is imagine having a scope/reflex sight system with a pointer, reticle etc and removing the pointer/reticle and then trying to use it. From experience trying to use Shield CQB sights with dead batteries, turned off EOTECHs or the dogshit 40mmUGL Fire Control Systems the army uses (which never work), you're not gonna do much more than make loud noises.

Earl

Builder of Stupid Rockets // Pres Ben //|**|\\
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Not much, but I'm making some little rocket engines. First I made some black powder.
Screenshot_20200801-160332.png

Then put it in an engine.
Screenshot_20200801-160443.png

The thrust peaked at 20 grams. Needs some work, but it's working well.
Also, the engine you see is smaller than what I'm going to do later.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Put it in a metal bowl and microwave it :p
If you do this there's a risk you melt the microwave too :p

No seriously, don't do this, never put metal in a microwave. I prefer to say it explicitely because I already heard about people that took such a joke in serious and destroyed their microwave (and nearly injured themselves) o_O

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
People, don't listen to Altair. Microwaves are magic boxes and can do wonderous things like charge phones and straighten out crumpled aluminium foil.

Other useful life hacks include cleaning and sterilising cutlery of any COVID 19 traces, drying small pets (much better than using the tumbledrier) and warming up tea/coffee inside a flask.

Last edited:

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
People, don't listen to Altair. Microwaves are magic boxes and can do wonderous things like charge phones and straighten out crumpled aluminium foil.

Other useful life hacks include cleaning and sterilising cutlery of any COVID 19 traces, drying small pets (much better than using the tumbledrier) and warming up tea/coffee inside a flask.
Nooooo o_O
Don't say that, it happens that some Discord users read the forum, there could be an accident!
However I've heard that microwaving your phone while running SFS allowed to refuel your ship... :rolleyes:

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
However I've heard that microwaving your phone while running SFS allowed to refuel your ship... :rolleyes:
True story. And it provides a buff to your ion engines (after all, you are providing more power to them)

T

TtTOtW

Other useful life hacks include cleaning and sterilising cutlery of any COVID 19 traces and drying small pets (much better than using the tumbledrier).
It's true, I microwaved my cat once. He seemed uncomfortable for a couple of seconds. Soon he proved to settle in quite nicely though. Say... He never woke up from his nap. Wonder why?

Chara-cter

37°14′0″N 115°48′30″W
Man on the Moon
Registered
plz tell me I did it wrong.........
I wanted the BB to fly at 25m/s. The bolt would only move 1.5cm in the receiver that means it will travel in 0.0006 seconds
1596821583513.png

The BBs weights about 30g
1596821621859.png

1250N or 127.47kg in 0.0006 second
1596821730662.png

Do I really have to apply over 100kg of force onto the BB?
Plzzzzzzz tell me I'm wrong ●~●

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
plz tell me I did it wrong.........
I wanted the BB to fly at 25m/s. The bolt would only move 1.5cm in the receiver that means it will travel in 0.0006 seconds
View attachment 43297
The BBs weights about 30g
View attachment 43299
1250N or 127.47kg in 0.0006 second
View attachment 43300
Do I really have to apply over 100kg of force onto the BB?
Plzzzzzzz tell me I'm wrong ●~●
If you want your bolt to go from 0 to 25 m/s over 1.5 cm, it needs a huge acceleration indeed. But the value I found is half of yours: 20833 m/s2. The time is doubled too: 0.0012 seconds. However that doesn't change drastically your problem, if you want to accelerate the bolt mechanically that requires basically a shock.

Chara-cter

37°14′0″N 115°48′30″W
Man on the Moon
Registered
So I did some research and...
Wikipedia said:
Airsoft pellets are spherical projectiles used by airsoft guns. Typically made of plastic,[1] they usually measure around 6 mm (0.24 in) in diameter (though selective models use 8 mm),[1] and weigh 0.12–0.40 g (1.9–6.2 gr), with the most common weights being 0.12 g and 0.20 g, while 0.25 g, 0.28 g, 0.30 g and 0.40 g pellets are also commonplace.[1]
They only weight around 0.2g. That's.... way less than what the website told me >:T
Anyway, since those BBs are that light, I only need around 800g of force to launch it to 25m/s
Nice