Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Horus Lupercal Are shotguns really better for CQB?
Yep. They have several characteristics that help in short range situations.

You get a wider spread per shot, meaning it's a lot easier to hit a target in close up snap shots. Even if you're off slightly doing instinctive (or shotgun method) firing, something will still hit your target.
You get an absolute fuck ton of stopping power. Whatever you hit will stop coming for you and sit down, whether it wants to or not. Especially if you get it good with a centre mass shot.
It is very, very short ranged, so you don't have to worry about your shots over penetrating through the house and carrying on down the street like you would if you're firing 5.56mm 70gr.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Don't shotguns have less ammo in them than an assault rifle?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Don't shotguns have less ammo in them than an assault rifle?
Which is only an advantage if you need to spray the world with bullets.

You can reload a shotgun whenever you like (between each room you clear) and if whatever is in the room with you isn't dead after you've put a tube of 12 gauge into it, then 5.56 isn't going to save you.

Chara-cter

37°14′0″N 115°48′30″W
Man on the Moon
Registered
This looks awesome! Custom build?
Ya. I reused my older HK416 lower I made for testing for this one, that's why the lower looks different. I made a new upper receiver for it (Rail not finished lol). I also made my own replica of the Spike's Tactical SAR3 handguard, it's made out of paper but somehow is stronger than I expected. I hope I did it well, still proud of it. I tried using advanced aluminium material (soda can) to strengthened the buffer tube, put my older stock and a plastic pipe for the barrel. I'm still wondering how long should the barrel be: 16", 18", 20". The gun it's based on (Spike's Tactical 10th Anniversary AR-15) has a 16" barrel but I wanted it to be a long range rifle so maybe 18 or 20? Still thinking about it.

Chara-cter

37°14′0″N 115°48′30″W
Man on the Moon
Registered
ST AR-15 (Placehoder iron sight).png

How it should look like (The handguard is mine, the rest of the rifle isn't. I got it on 3d warehouse for demonstration stuff)

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Can you make one for 50m/s and 75m/s plz?
Thank you :3
Here it is:
BallisticTrajectory3.png
I've represented the curve for 25, 50 and 75 m/s.

If you want the equation I use for it, it is:
Y = -g×D²/(2×v²) × (exp(X/D) - 1)²

With:
D = 2×m/(ρ×S×Cd): a formal parameter with no specific meaning that simplifies the equation (here: D=34.645974 m)

g = 9.806 m/s²
ρ = 1.225 kg/m³ (air density, considered at sea level)
S = π × R² (cross-sectional area)
R = 0.003 m (3 mm, projectile radius)
Cd = 0.5: drag coefficient for a sphere
m = 3×10^(-4) kg (0.3 grams, projectile mass)
v: initial speed, in m/s

Last detail, if you want to calculate the curve in free fall (no drag), you can't directly use ρ=0 (D would be infinite). In this case, the formula is:
Y = -g/(2×v²) × X²
It can be intetesting to see what you lose because of drag.

Here is an example with v = 25 m/s:
BallisticTrajectory2.png
The green curve is with no drag, the blue curve is without cheats :p

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
This is interesting
He shot it with a hammer
Yeah. That's all the rifle is using when it operates normally, is a hammer.

Just a much smaller one.

As long as the firing pin hits the percussion cap on the back of the round hard enough, it'll go off. How you achieve that impact is up to you. You can use a rock and it'd still work.

Just a much smaller one.
I agree, take my service rifle, the SAR-21 for example.

In the trigger group, there is a really small midget holding a hammer, to fire, we pull the trigger which pokes him in the belly, where in impulse, he slams the hammer into the bolt carrier group.

We have to clean and feed him every now and then or the rifle would malfunction.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
I agree, take my service rifle, the SAR-21 for example.

In the trigger group, there is a really small midget holding a hammer, to fire, we pull the trigger which pokes him in the belly, where in impulse, he slams the hammer into the bolt carrier group.

We have to clean and feed him every now and then or the rifle would malfunction.
Oh man.... :eek: that's the one you have?

Wikipedia; design issues said:
Early users of the weapon in the Singapore Armed Forces experienced many problems due to their unfamiliarity with the bullpup design. Their criticisms (usually in comparison with the M16S1 rifles they were already trained with) include:

• the awkward position of the magazine well, and the difficulty in changing magazines, requiring multiple hand changes due to its bullpup shape[citation needed]
  • the awkward position of the fire selector (located at the butt, with the action), as opposed to the thumb selector on the M16S1[9][13]
  • the sluggish trigger pull compared with the crisp trigger of the M16S1
  • the weight of the weapon
  • the increased muzzle blast, due to the muzzle being nearer to the user's ears
  • being told by instructors that it is a "right-handed only" weapon and left-handed soldiers having to (and are still being taught to) fire with their right hand
  • iron sights that chip off easily when weapon is dropped
  • Lack of internal illumination of the scope (the crosshairs in the scope are virtually invisible in the dark)

Oh man.... :eek: that's the one you have?
Wait till you go prone with that while wearing an LBS vest.

Me before BMT: Proning looks cool.

Me after BMT: Proning is invented by Hitler.

If you want any more details, ask Horus, we've been chatting a lot about my first month in the army, and I really don't feel like repeating myself because there is A LOT of detail.