The Workshops

Chara-cter

37°14′0″N 115°48′30″W
Man on the Moon
Registered
8bitCosmonaut Horus Lupercal I'm bored so I just put everything I've made on it.
ST AR-15 (3 rifles).png

(Left to right: The cool looking California rifle, the rifle, the same rifle without that super-assault-hyper death ray tube thing on the top)
ST AR-15.png

The same thing but with plan B iron sights.

Jk, the stock on the cool looking California rifle is the CQR stock by Hera Arms, the scope is the Leupold 3.5-10x40mm LR M3 and the iron sights are the MBUS sights by Magpul (to anyone who asked)
I imagine this thing to be heavy irl
(Edit: It is around 4.5kg)

Last edited:

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
btw
Horus Lupercal what do you think about the L85A3 (the newer one)?
A day late and a dollar short.

So, the A3. Want to know something interesting, considering where I work? I've never fired it. Not even seen the A3 in the metal. So what is it like? I don't know.

But I can take an educated guess.

It'll be an A2 with a new paint job and undersung buzzwords to make people think its a new rifle or it brings something cool to the party.

The 2 main new features are the full length picatinny rail and the free floating barrel.
Which I'll bet sounded amazing in the powerpoint presentation, but less so in the real world.
firstly, the full length rail.
Allows you to fit multiple sight systems on top of the rifle. Unlike the A1/A2 where you either didn't have picatinny at all, or some kind of glued on rail half way down. Which if you're american, a gun pest, or play COD is great cos you can fit a straight through CQB sight, a flip up magnification sight and/or a flip over night optic.
The problem is we are neither the yanks, nor gun pests, not playing call of fucking duty. You get one magnifier day sight and maybe one night sight. Not both. And certainly no flip over options. So that full length rail is pointless.

Next, the free floating barrel.
Floating barrels allow the barrel to move properly when a round is fired (the barrel flexes and 'whips' as the bullet travels down). This increases accuracy and makes shot placement more consistent. The thing is though, the SA80 has never had any problems with accuracy. Ever.
In fact, it's one of the most accurate off the shelf rifles anywhere. Making it more accurate is pointless, especially considering just how stone-age general marksmanship training is in the army compared to other nations. Better results would be gained from making the lads better shots with more up to date marksmanship coaching, more ammunition and range time, than making the rifle more accurate.
It's better to have a better trained shot with a bad rifle than a badly trained shot with a good rifle.
At no point in the rifles history has anyone ever gone 'i wish it was more accurate'

One thing we have been saying for nearly 30 years though is 'I wish it wasn't so fucking heavy'.
So what did they do?
That's right folks, made it heavier.
Cos Army.

Just elective/exploratory class. Making simple things like a hook, a small trowel, ect. For this year one of the things I'm doing is a kind of wire art. Bending and soldering metal. What I'm making is actually pretty cool.
I was hoping you were learning something along the lines of machining, so I can have a machining buddy to talk to :(

But welding is very interesting too, my father is willing to let me own a lathe, drill press and milling machine, but to my dismay welding according to him is too dangerous (he's probably worried about the electric bill, which is fair).

Maybe I'll outsource welding to my friend, he does metal casting. I offered to invest in his setup so he can melt steel, maybe be able to do some blacksmithing like Mooncrasher. No interest from him so far.

T

TtTOtW

You know, 8bitCosmonaut, I went to a Technical Boys' High School. Learnt all sorts of awesome stuff. Stuff I direly had to learn because I grew up without my father (met him for the first time in 18 years when I was 25...) so it's not like my Granny, whom I love dearly, was gonna teach me brazing, welding, electronics, machining, woodwork or motor mechanics... I love your passion for engineering. I'm happy you have that opportunity in life. And I love reading up on what you guys are doing. Keep it coming, guys.

James Brown

Thinker/INTJ/investigator/Natural Science lover
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Oh that's sad:(:( sorry for hearing it
You know, 8bitCosmonaut, I went to a Technical Boys' High School. Learnt all sorts of awesome stuff. Stuff I direly had to learn because I grew up without my father (met him for the first time in 18 years when I was 25...) so it's not like my Granny, whom I love dearly, was gonna teach me brazing, welding, electronics, machining, woodwork or motor mechanics... I love your passion for engineering. I'm happy you have that opportunity in life. And I love reading up on what you guys are doing. Keep it coming, guys.

T

The Dark in the Light

I was hoping you were learning something along the lines of machining, so I can have a machining buddy to talk to :(

But welding is very interesting too, my father is willing to let me own a lathe, drill press and milling machine, but to my dismay welding according to him is too dangerous (he's probably worried about the electric bill, which is fair).

Maybe I'll outsource welding to my friend, he does metal casting. I offered to invest in his setup so he can melt steel, maybe be able to do some blacksmithing like Mooncrasher. No interest from him so far.
That's pretty interesting. I've been considering taking up welding once I've finished school as a job. And for which high school I wanna go to I need to make a decision about which one as one has the standard metal shop and everything else why the other one is an arts and tech school.

T

TtTOtW

That's pretty interesting. I've been considering taking up welding once I've finished school as a job. And for which high school I wanna go to I need to make a decision about which one as one has the standard metal shop and everything else why the other one is an arts and tech school.
My advice: go to the more focused school. Forget about the "perks" and "extras" like art for instance. Go where they focus on your goal as hard as you do.

T

The Dark in the Light

My advice: go to the more focused school. Forget about the "perks" and "extras" like art for instance. Go where they focus on your goal as hard as you do.
The thing is, it's hard to choose. I love tech and wanna work with, such as making games and whatnot, but I also want work with metal as I find that fun and could be profitable.

T

TtTOtW

The point is: keep your eye on the ball. Any "potential added benefit" is NOT the ball, and can befocused on later after successfully striking the ball correctly.

This reminds me, my old secondary school's workshop has all the good shit. Industrial milling machines, lathes and brazing setups, I have no idea why they're there when we can't even use it. Turns out they did use it back when the rules are more relaxed, now because of injuries and shit, they pussied out and now they're just sitting there covered in dust.

I wanna buy them but I have no where to place them, and I don't think they're gonna give me permission to use them.

T

TtTOtW

This reminds me, my old secondary school's workshop has all the good shit. Industrial milling machines, lathes and brazing setups, I have no idea why they're there when we can't even use it. Turns out they did use it back when the rules are more relaxed, now because of injuries and shit, they pussied out and now they're just sitting there covered in dust.

I wanna buy them but I have no where to place them, and I don't think they're gonna give me permission to use them.
Man that is such a waste.

Forget about the "perks" and "extras" like art for instance
This reminds me of an old saying from my lads back in engineering school.

Design school lecturers should stop telling their students that they are engineers. They tend to prioritize the project to look good rather than work properly, or even work at all.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Second year of engineering school, still have a machining class.
rsz_img_20201126_181253.jpg

T

TtTOtW

This reminds me of an old saying from my lads back in engineering school.

Design school lecturers should stop telling their students that they are engineers. They tend to prioritize the project to look good rather than work properly, or even work at all.
Sounds a bit like discord F9 engineers :p