Unfair comparison post on FB (can't think of a better title lol)

Chara-cter

37°14′0″N 115°48′30″W
Man on the Moon
Registered
I just found this post on Facebook
1595651581200.png

So they are saying that India who only has 1 mission that was a success is way superior to NASA with 27 missions (As I remember)
smh I wonder how many people are gonna fall for this

BANDWITH

Embodiment of Made In Abyss spoilers
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered
I just found this post on Facebook
View attachment 42314

So they are saying that India who only has 1 mission that was a success is way superior to NASA with 27 missions (As I remember)
Well, I mean....
Since it is from an Indian user I’ll accept it as a shitpost, but if this was like an American thing I’d have reason to be skeptical.

But yeah for 0% on china’s front, 10 imaginary dollars their Mars mission fucking dies

(edit: obviously not to mention sampling error, a lot of failed Mars missions are due to early probes by Russia and the US being bad and the fact that India has only done like 2 probes. That however, is besides the point)

Last edited:
Yeap unfair comparison, the US and Russia did theirs back in the 1960s with little experience, India did theirs in the modern era with wisdom from both US and Soviet missions, not to mention, advanced modern tech.

If it wasn't for America's 78% and Russia's 33%, India would've never got their 100, let alone a fucking 0.

Also, hold on, within America's "oh so crappy" 78% success rate, they have:
- Done three successful fly-bys
- Done six orbital insertions
- Done five landings
- Done four rover landings, one of which is the size of a fucking family car.

India: Done one orbital insertion.
Also India: WE BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE.

Cosmo's fan

«★★» Commander «★★» // PT
TEAM HAWK
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Yeap unfair comparison, the US and Russia did theirs back in the 1960s with little experience, India did theirs in the modern era with wisdom from both US and Soviet missions, not to mention, advanced modern tech.

If it wasn't for America's 78% and Russia's 33%, India would've never got their 100, let alone a fucking 0.

Also, hold on, within America's "oh so crappy" 78% success rate, they have:
- Done three successful fly-bys
- Done six orbital insertions
- Done five landings
- Done four rover landings, one of which is the size of a fucking family car.

India: Done one orbital insertion.
Also India: WE BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE.
The thing is not one successful mission,
The thing that needs to be taken into consideration is, The budget ,of mission was less than the movie 'Gravity'.

Mooncrasher

Reading LOTR lore
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Meanwhile, Ireland hasn't sent anything to space.
cries

T

TtTOtW

Careful not to shit on entire countries, guys. This is not all India's fault. Its one guy taking one real achievement out of context.

Careful not to shit on entire countries, guys. This is not all India's fault. Its one guy taking one real achievement out of context.
Correction on my last comment, I meant the person who made the meme, not the country.

Their engineers probably went through similar bullshit trying to get the thing to work under political pressure. It's also not impossible that they have gotten some advice or help from past experiences, so my view on their success is mixed.

The budget ,of mission was less than the movie 'Gravity'.
The budget of a mission is strongly dictated by the cost of manpower in the country that is constructing the vehicle, they may have paid the same material cost for the vehicle as any other country, but the final cost would have been driven down by cheaper labor.

Same story in China.

Last edited:

SFSAbhishek

/<***@Intricate Crafts are Mine✓***>\
Star Forger
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Can anyone make it in only 75 Million.
It was so cheap because they used different techniques to achieve this.
Soviet and usa did in 1971 where their launchers itself were more than 75M.

Mooncrasher

Reading LOTR lore
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Can anyone make it in only 75 Million.
It was so cheap because they used different techniques to achieve this.
I heard a Soyuz is pretty cheap...

Still an unfair comparison, the vehicles they used are different in mass, including the manufacturing methodology employed at that time period. We know that 1960s from today is a large time gap, so they had no choice but to use expensive fabrication techniques to bring the contraption into fruition.

SFSAbhishek

Star Forger
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Other countries added a good engine so that they could achieve the trajectory in one shot but that was not case for india.

When you use a extremely efficient engine on sata it gives a very little thrust. So you have to make a round on orbit and again come to the periapsis to increase the orbit.
It's the same when we use ion Engine on sata in sfs. When you get too ahead of the transfer point you make a round do timewarp and come to the same point.

In case I was too harsh on the old stereotyping, let's speak of this in a way we can all agree on.

Arguing mission costs is unfair as we cannot truly know why a value is as it is, but only know it is this way. What is known is the fact that both Russians and Americans spared no expense in pioneering the path for Mars, revealed challenges and threats along the way so future generations wouldn't stumble on the same fate.

They are the Columbus' of the Space Age.

Belittling of their priceless efforts would be heretical. Instead, we should appreciate their work and heed their wisdom for all future deep space missions.

SFSAbhishek

Star Forger
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Even if we say that in 1960 they had very expensive things and didn't had those techniques. Today they know this, so why do they still don't do it for Mars rovers.
It's because it takes so much of time to calculate the required trajectory with such a engine.

Even if we say that in 1960 they had very expensive things and didn't had those techniques. Today they know this, so why do they still don't do it for Mars rovers.
It's because it takes so much of time to calculate the required trajectory with such a engine.
You miss the point of this argument entirely, I'm not worried about how they get there, its how that meme is shitting on years of trail and error done by people who have no idea what its like to get to Mars.

Cosmo's fan

«★★» Commander «★★» // PT
TEAM HAWK
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
All are good and contributing thier part in knowledge of deep space