AEP

Should I make an AEP/New Horizons BASP addon for the Saturn C-5N?

• Yes, NTR lunar rockets are awesome

Votes: 16 100.0%
  • No, I don't like to have fun

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Orion

Nuclear bombs in space, die-hard WALL-E fan.
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
AEP (Advanced Engines Pack)

This pack contains some engines well suited for interplanetary and interstellar journeys. All engines are based off of real designs and concepts, so take it up with NASA if they seem OP. All the information about the engines and installation is in the README.md file in the Github repository. Only tested on PC, should have Mac support though.

Download here

V1.1 Changelog:
-Fixed Discovery II MCF bug discovered by Altair
-Added fuel requirements to engine descriptions.

V1.2 Changelog:
-Added SNRE
-VASIMR Visual overhaul
-Fusion engines now don't throttle down, which is more realistic.

V1.2.1 Changelog:
-Fixed Daedalus plume, although I had to remove realistic throttling.

V1.2.2 Changelog:
-Added the Nuclear Salt Water Rocket
Gallery:
VASIMR
Screenshot 2023-12-16 094019.png

Screenshot 2024-01-07 120646.png

Daedelus ICF
Screenshot_2023-11-22_104547.png

NERVA RNS
Screenshot_2023-12-01_104657_1.png

Discovery II MCF
Screenshot_2023-12-02_075526_1.png

NEXT Thruster
Screenshot_2023-12-03_111540 (1).png

MPD Thruster
Screenshot_2023-12-03_120303.png

Enjoy! Don't forget to let me know if anything doesn't work or needs improvement.

Last edited:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Finally, here it is! Thank you for that wonderful pack! Obviously you know the engine I wanted to try first :p
20231217005349_1.jpg
I'll have to fix the Delta-V mod, it has a problem with engines that run on electricity apparently.

You've been granted the modder role too, congratulations :cool:

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Finally, here it is! Thank you for that wonderful pack! Obviously you know the engine I wanted to try first :p
View attachment 111692
I'll have to fix the Delta-V mod, it has a problem with engines that run on electricity apparently.

You've been granted the modder role too, congratulations :cool:
Great, thanks! Let me know if there's anything you think needs improvement, I plan to overhaul the VASIMR visually in the next update.

S

Sportgus

Ah I know I will have to download an engine pacik from you, next time I play. :)
Where SpongeBob engine :p

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
Thanks :D I assume you want me to add all the engines in that video?
Yes. I have been using this video to learn more about this engine.
I will also be using the Spherical Tokamak in the Haumea Mission.

I tested this engine too. The 1.8 tons of thrust is so miniscule that it took 12 hours to burn to Mercury. I got a good night's rest during the burn!

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I managed to fix my delta-V mod, all good now, it works with your engines! :cool:
20231217141924_1.jpg

It's very interesting but the thrust is very low, personally I strongly recommend the use of VanillaUpgrades (for the higher physics time-warp value) and Smart SAS (to keep the ship pointing in the right direction) to keep the burn time acceptable:
20231217142942_1.jpg

Also, isn't there a problem with the Discovery II MCF engine?
20231217141246_1.jpg
I can't attach anything on the top of it, I've been forced to make the fuel tanks connect from the side to make it work. Is there something I missed?

Also I have a suggestion: if you could add to the description for each engine their electricity consumption and specify the type of fuel it consumes it would be perfect. For the fuel type the information is found in the description of each fuel tanks but it would make things a little easier. For electricity consumption I found the information on your github repository, but let's be honest we won't always play with your github page opened :)

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Also, isn't there a problem with the Discovery II MCF engine?
View attachment 111697
I can't attach anything on the top of it, I've been forced to make the fuel tanks connect from the side to make it work. Is there something I missed?
It works for me, but I'll double check.

personally I strongly recommend the use of VanillaUpgrades (for the higher physics time-warp value) and Smart SAS (to keep the ship pointing in the right direction) to keep the burn time acceptable
I'll add those to the list of recommended mods.

Also I have a suggestion: if you could add to the description for each engine their electricity consumption and specify the type of fuel it consumes it would be perfect. For the fuel type the information is found in the description of each fuel tanks but it would make things a little easier. For electricity consumption I found the information on your github repository, but let's be honest we won't always play with your github page opened :)
Of course! I'll release a patch with that, and maybe some other functions. For now, it's all in the README.md file.

Yes. I have been using this video to learn more about this engine.
I will also be using the Spherical Tokamak in the Haumea Mission.

I tested this engine too. The 1.8 tons of thrust is so miniscule that it took 12 hours to burn to Mercury. I got a good night's rest during the burn!
Yeah, that sounds reasonable conpared to the time frames I've looked at for the Daedelus engine. One mission had a burn time of approx 3 years at max timewarp! Don't forget the MCF is designed for super efficiency, so you can forget about hohmann and bi-eliptic transfers. Just point the ship at Haumea and shoot! Then halfway through, turn and burn to slow down.

yo dude i love it!
Glad to hear it :)

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
AEP is preventing the Picospace Booster Pack "Boosters+" pick category from loading. Is this an interference?

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
AEP is preventing the Picospace Booster Pack "Boosters+" pick category from loading. Is this an interference?
What's the error message? I'm not having any issues.

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
V1.1 is out. Just fixes a couple bugs.

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Ah I know I will have to download an engine pacik from you, next time I play. :)
Where SpongeBob engine :p
Whooooo lives in a pineapple under the sea

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
i fixed it by trading null and a long support string between mac and windows but still fix it pls
Can't. Don't have mac. Plus, there's not much I can do other that selecting mac and windows.

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
SNRE-class NTR
Screenshot 2023-12-23 033842.png
Fission Fragment rocket engine
Screenshot 2023-12-22 042019.png

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
VASIMR redesign
Screenshot 2023-12-24 081340.png

Darthan

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
A very interesting set of engines.

For the VASIMR the relationship between power needed and thrust/isp seems a bit odd. I would have expected higher isp/low thrust to need more energy per ton of propellant used but it seems to use less, and the power requirement for minimum isp/maximum thrust seems exorbatant. Thinking about it I would have expected the energy required to be close to constant whenever the engines are on whatever the thrust, maybe except for very low thrust? However, I don't know enough about the detail of VASIMR engines to be sure of this.

Also, is the Daedelus meant to be that big? It won't fit in the build area without using the 'infinite build area' cheat?

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
Also, is the Daedelus meant to be that big? It won't fit in the build area without using the 'infinite build area' cheat?
If you don't know, it's massive. The second stage engine (which is smaller) is already 40m in diameter if you want to be realistic.
For the VASIMR the relationship between power needed and thrust/isp seems a bit odd. I would have expected higher isp/low thrust to need more energy per ton of propellant used but it seems to use less, and the power requirement for minimum isp/maximum thrust seems exorbatant. Thinking about it I would have expected the energy required to be close to constant whenever the engines are on whatever the thrust, maybe except for very low thrust? However, I don't know enough about the detail of VASIMR engines to be sure of this.
Somethings in SFS are just to hard for the average modder to do. The Thrust/ISP relationship was already hard enough to do and perfect.

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
A very interesting set of engines.

Hi Darthan. Yes, power consumption for a VASIMR is constant regardless of thrust, as changing thrust and Isp is about how much power you put into a certain part of the engine. However, electricity in SFS isn't actually electricity, it's a fuel called electricity. Now, fuel consumption changes with throttle and efficiency, both of which change on the VASIMR. So, until I experiment a bit more with equations and variables in the modbuilder, the VASIMR sadly won't consume electricity at a fully realistic rate.

I actually set the electricity consumption that high purposefully, as SFS is already pretty easy. It doesn't need ridiculously efficient engines for that. Plus, the whole purpose of this pack was to open up new spacecraft designs for people (HOPE style designs come to mind) and I was hoping the number of solar panels you need for the VASIMR would make people have more realistically sized spacecraft.

As for the Daedelus engine, that's a bit simpler. If your craft is small enough to fit on the vanilla build grid, it isn't the right engine for that spacecraft.