Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
But still, the Saturn V remains as the noisiest object ever built.
Yeah, but Saturn wasn't doing this twice a day. It's why it was banned from being supersonic over-land

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
And its also one of those vehicles I would to see flying again.
Yes. Yet another one of those things I was old enough to see, but not old enough to get on.

One of, but not the loudest. Have a look for the XF-84 Thunderscreech, easily the loudest and possibly least pilot friendly aircraft ever built.

Essentially a concept for potential supersonic flight using a propeller driven aircraft. The hassle being, to achieve that it means the propellers have to be supersonic. And they were, even at idle (using continuous speed, variable pitch props), creating a continuous (and visible) sonic shock wave that could be heard 20 miles away and would throw ground crew that happened to stray in its path.
The noise was so loud that it could give you seizures and the first test pilot to fly it refused to ever get back into it again.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
A little known secret about aero engines is that they don't actually generate power and thrust like other engines.

They make noise. Which is far more efficient.

There is a direct, measurable correlation to how it sounds, to how good the aircraft will be.

There was a time when Rolls Royce made the best aero engines in the world. And the best of them all is the RR Merlin/Griffon engines that powered (amongst other things) the Supermarine Spitfire.

Would everyone be upstanding please for the National Anthem.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
.......................................................ba....................BOOM!..........

20210116_024527.jpg

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Yep. And that’s a supersonic shockwave. Flying that fast and that low is not good...

...for the people on the ground.
*how to be deaf 101*

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Oh yes. Back when you were allowed to do that kinda thing at low level in the US.

And something I forgot to post over Christmas. Back when Concorde was a thing, this used to also be a thing.

Picture4.v1.png

Yes, that is a supersonic airliner parked on a snow covered airfield. This was the annual Christmas charter flight to Lapland Rovaniemi in Finland run from 1984 onwards.

Concorde in Lapland: A British Airways Christmas | Airways Magazine

I think a supersonic shockwave can kill you.
Yeah, at very close ranges. That particular Phantom would be about the right distance to manage it, but a few hundred feet away you'd be 'fine'. The Blue Angels are infamous for it at displays with no-warning low level supersonic passes. You'd be watching distracted watching a few of the other aircraft on the team doing its thing and then a supersonic Hornet would tear over from behind the crowd.

They still do it, but "subsonically"...

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
presumably any military aircraft pilot is a professional?
I sense a waffle on the horizon.
Nah, this won't take long.

This comes from a misunderstanding about the words 'amateur' and 'professional'.
Because they have zero to do with competence and everything to do with life choice.

For example, boxers. Olympic boxers are amateurs. They don't get paid, they do it as a sport. They're still very, very good at it. Whereas a professional boxer does it for a living, he gets paid for it as a job.

With regards to pilots, I would say all military pilots are professionals because it is their job, they get paid a living for that profession.
Doesn't always make them good.

Remember, George Bush Jnr was a professional fighter pilot.

But I would agree with Blazer. The Blue Angels are amongst the best air display teams in the world. Their proximity formation flying is utterly ridiculous.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
presumably any military aircraft pilot is a professional?
With regards to pilots, I would say all military pilots are professionals because it is their job, they get paid a living for that profession.
Doesn't always make them good.

Remember, George Bush Jnr was a professional fighter pilot.
^That. There was a small confusion between “professional” and “expert”. Yes, a professional is someone who gets paid for what he/she does, no matter if is good or bad at it. But when I said “they are professionals” I meant to say that they are “Experts”. They know their stuff, they know what they are doing and how to do it. My mistake: professional and expert are not necessarily the same thing.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I don't have many favourites in this world. But this might just be one.

Marmilo, for your education I present the DeHavilland Mosquito. Or put simply, one of the most lethal aircraft ever made.

It didn't matter what you were in, tanks, trains, U-boats, surface ships, high-performance interceptors, night fighters, bombers, bunkers, buildings, whatever. You couldn't hide from it. You couldn't out-run it. You couldn't out-gun it. Unless you were in one of the new jet fighters (and even then, it would just follow you home and destroy your base), it would find you day or night and end you.
It had the firepower of a Royal Navy cruiser broadside, could do 400mph and would take on Fw190s sent to stop them and beat them in a dogfight. It had almost the same bombload as a B-17, could outpace a Spitfire, practically invented the art of multi-role, all weather precision strike, was capable of all this but required no special materials or tooling and could be made by cabinet makers and carpenters with cheaply available materials and in my eyes is one of the most criminally ignored British aircraft of WWII thanks to its more famous Merlin powered cousins.
The fact that there is not one single airworthy Mossie in the UK with an organisation like the BBMF beggars belief.

Watch and enjoy. The old combat footage towards the second half is awesome, Mossies zipping around 10ft off the deck, targetting single buildings with precision bomb hits, strafing everything that moved, smashing up night-fighters for giggles and my particular favourite at 15:57 with a literal swarm of Mosquitos tearing a group of anchored surface ships to pieces with 60lb rocket and 20mm cannon fire.

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022

Marmilo, for your education I present the DeHavilland Mosquito. Or put simply, one of the most lethal aircraft ever made.

It didn't matter what you were in, tanks, trains, U-boats, surface ships, high-performance interceptors, night fighters, bombers, bunkers, buildings, whatever. You couldn't hide from it. You couldn't out-run it. You couldn't out-gun it. Unless you were in one of the new jet fighters (and even then, it would just follow you home and destroy your base), it would find you day or night and end you.
It had the firepower of a Royal Navy cruiser broadside, could do 400mph and would take on Fw190s sent to stop them and beat them in a dogfight. It had almost the same bombload as a B-17, could outpace a Spitfire, practically invented the art of multi-role, all weather precision strike, was capable of all this but required no special materials or tooling and could be made by cabinet makers and carpenters with cheaply available materials and in my eyes is one of the most criminally ignored British aircraft of WWII thanks to its more famous Merlin powered cousins.
The fact that there is not one single airworthy Mossie in the UK with an organisation like the BBMF beggars belief.

Watch and enjoy. The old combat footage towards the second half is awesome, Mossies zipping around 10ft off the deck, targetting single buildings with precision bomb hits, strafing everything that moved, smashing up night-fighters for giggles and my particular favourite at 15:57 with a literal swarm of Mosquitos tearing a group of anchored surface ships to pieces with 60lb rocket and 20mm cannon fire.
Cool! I like that.

T

The Dark in the Light

That's pretty damn cool!
On my list of War Thunder aircraft to acquire: Mosquito.