My Missions to the Outer Planets

Where should I go next?

• Total voters
T

The Dark in the Light

Very cool! I'm sure you'll do even better next time.
Thanks! I think next time I'm gonna get an orbit near the inner moons if you know what I mean, then visit all of the inner ones and work my way out, then head home.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Yep, precisely that's why I quoted, to keep a memory of the spammer :p

You're in the opposite case to Etherian.

Etherian's wastes a lot of energy fighting the atmosphere (TWR extremely high) you waste a lot of energy fighting the gravity (TWR extremely Low)
Yeah, I know. That was an issue I had early on with the Firework Launcher. That's why it got replaced by the Pyrotechnic. Nowadays the only ship i use that still has that problem is the Abomb.

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Lol. Yeah but that's now copyrighted. Anyway, SLS being built from STS parts, it's a very appropriate name.
I dunno, frankly I think the abbreviations are kind of dumb. Should be using more memorable names.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I dunno, frankly I think the abbreviations are kind of dumb. Should be using more memorable names.
I whole heartedly endorse this comment.

To be fair the more I read up on the SLS, the more and more disappointed I am with it and can understand why they haven't given it an awesome name.
Cos it's just a 40year old shuttle shaped into a rocket that's 50 years behind what it replaced.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
To be fair the more I read up on the SLS, the more and more disappointed I am with it and can understand why they haven't given it an awesome name.
Cos it's just a 40year old shuttle shaped into a rocket that's 50 years behind what it replaced.
There.

I officially got a new forum signature.

T

The Dark in the Light

Titan does have a very nice set of brakes. And I'm supprised that this tiny rocket with a refuel made it to Saturn. I tried VEEGA, but it didn't work.
Screenshot_20200429-152139_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

T

The Dark in the Light

Haha, hell yeah! I am very, very proud of this rocket. It weighs under 250 tons, and with a refuel, I can go anywhere (maybe not land or get an orbit though)! This is my most efficient rocket for these kind of missions.
Screenshot_20200430-000847_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Screenshot_20200430-001242_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Screenshot_20200430-000903_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Now that I know that even without VEEGA, I'm capable of this, I'll start work on one or two refueling stations around Titan and Enceladus. Or maybe Saturn itself. Then I'll get to work on a small base on the surface of Enceladus. I've learnt some very useful things from this too.

T

The Dark in the Light

Screenshot_20200430-024013_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
I now have some more fuel around Enceladus. I had to sap 50% of the payload's fuel to to this, but at least I made it. And what annoys me a bit is how I placed the two docking ports on the fuel tank. Now to send some more fuel and start construction on a small station. And maybe a rover too.

T

The Dark in the Light

Dang y'all are kickin' some space ass yo!
I surely am, thanks!

Thanks to these two missions, my knowledge of this is getting better. I now know that Titan and and Saturn are great for aero breaking, but if I good to deep in, I won't come back out. And I know how to properly get an orbit around Enceladus too, and that'll be good for everything I do there. No more crashing into the sureface at 5km/s and hoping for the best.

T

The Dark in the Light

After 20 minutes (give or take a bit) I think I have a final design for a small station. I did some editing to make it more compact and a bit of detail too.
Screenshot_20200430-034353_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg