Project Le Verrier

As in there's a lot to look at. And it'd be a shame not to look at the details considering the effort that's gone into it
If you're able to find flaws with the probes and orbiter that affects the mission criteria, it would be highly appreciated if you would elaborate.

Currently I'm assembling the "non criteria critical" parts of the mothership so if anything goes wrong, I can correct it early without the need of launching a replacement.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Actually, given the choice between mission complete Le Verrier or 1.5, I'd take this any day of the week.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Who has completed this mission so far? Btw, have you found any flaws with my presentation? I'll be happy if there are flaws, because it doesnt feel 100% right.
No one. You're the only one that's got this far. There are a few people interesting in attempting it though.

None that I can see. The Dv budgets look good, the mission sections are well thought out and if anything you're gonna get much, much more data than the initial brief intended. Especially with the additional moon visits and the Pluto telescope arrays.

The amount of power the specialized observatory would require will make an RTG ineffective, so a full on fission reactor was used instead.
If my research was correct, that observatory would consume between 1000-2500 watts of power, an rtg would only produce around 100 watts. Solar panels are out of the question, so nuclear reactors it is. Not that we've never pulled it off, the Soviets used fission reactors for their naval spy satellites, and the Americans had their SNAP 10.

Assembly of Poseidon, Trident and Opportunity complete, all that's left is designing and assembling the propellant and propulsion segment.
(current length: 504 meters; current mass: 1433 tons approx.)
1591275900776.png

Last edited:
Altair, I would like to confirm some final delta velocity values. Since I need 1498m/s for a Neptune injection burn from low earth orbit, how much delta velocity do I need for an Earth injection burn (without an earth capture burn)?

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Altair, I would like to confirm some final delta velocity values. Since I need 1498m/s for a Neptune injection burn from low earth orbit, how much delta velocity do I need for an Earth injection burn (without an earth capture burn)?
Uh, I'm sorry but I'm terribly busy with top priority stuff, I can't answer you right now o_O
We can discuss about it later, after 1.5 is out, don't hesitate to ping me.

T

TtTOtW

I recommend going to solar orbit first then pr form the Neptunian Injection Burn
That will cost you so much Δv your head will spin. Never be on a trajectory where neither the departure point nor the destination/assist body is directly connected to it...

^^^Top tip right there^^^

JSP

The Lord President of Gallifrey.
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
That will cost you so much Δv your head will spin. Never be on a trajectory where neither the departure point nor the destination/assist body is directly connected to it...

^^^Top tip right there^^^
Oh ok I usually go for a solar orbit then burn but do works best for you

T

TtTOtW

An orbit with no assist is damn expensive. That's why VEEGA is so cheap. Assist after assist after assist, no free burns.

I recommend going to solar orbit first then pr form the Neptunian Injection Burn
This will cost the same as going direct but needs a lot of time warping until an alignment is reached, assuming you dont know how to target planets. And no, I'm not using gravity assist, I'm carrying a human crew so getting there using the fastest route is the upmost priority.