Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
4C15787E-F2A1-46B6-BA24-0F47020D8EAB.png
832DB483-0A1E-4191-8CBA-7D54AA2C9CE0.png

A rocket I made a couple days ago.
-Total mass is 461.24 tons.
-640 tons of thrust on first stage.
-Usually carries a 13 ton payload (my MK. III satellite).
-Goes into Earth orbit (intended purpose) but can reach the moon.
-2nd stage is 49.23 tons and has a Frontier engine.

Thoughts?

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Looks good!

But the second stage looks really tiny in comparison to the first stage. You could probably transfer some of the fuel from the first stage to the second one. That rocket should be able to carry way more than 13 tons by the way.

Also, you could consider making the "boosters" detachable. As is, they are part of the core and the whole thing behaves as a single stage.
The boosters help in the beginning of the flight because the rocket would be too heavy otherwise. But as and when it burns fuel, the rocket alleviates itself, so at some point you don't need that much power. Dropping the boosters allows to remove some dry mass, which increases your rocket's efficiency.

Zeeray13

Merlin Master
Registered
Looks good!

But the second stage looks really tiny in comparison to the first stage. You could probably transfer some of the fuel from the first stage to the second one. That rocket should be able to carry way more than 13 tons by the way.

Also, you could consider making the "boosters" detachable. As is, they are part of the core and the whole thing behaves as a single stage.
The boosters help in the beginning of the flight because the rocket would be too heavy otherwise. But as and when it burns fuel, the rocket alleviates itself, so at some point you don't need that much power. Dropping the boosters allows to remove some dry mass, which increases your rocket's efficiency.
Hey maybe its a proton styled look?:p

Hawk

ITSA // Ex-MA
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
C1347C06-7FE0-407A-81C7-8A95E8BF3B81.png

It’s a telescope. I was bored and I don’t know how I came up with such a random design.

Hawk

ITSA // Ex-MA
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
If this guy doesn't get 10 more likes, I don't know what will convince anyone to do it... Best telescope I've EVER seen!
I will say that it is a vast improvement over my 1st design which was intended to go around Mars.
F01CF0F9-2DE3-4F2F-A9DC-E4D13BCDBDA1.png

Hawk

ITSA // Ex-MA
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
I made a telescope with 3 unique exchangeable lenses in 1.406. Still looked near as cool as yours.
How interesting... I might try to do something maybe similar. I could make several different telescopes though or just make attachable lenses to the one I have now that I would take up in a mission. If I were to send lenses to it I could store them on that docking port that’s middle right side.

T

TtTOtW

How interesting... I might try to do something maybe similar. I could make several different telescopes though or just make attachable lenses to the one I have now that I would take up in a mission. If I were to send lenses to it I could store them on that docking port that’s middle right side.
Yeah um... My telescope wouldn't be serviceable in 1.5. I'll have to come up a new method of achieving it now.

Hawk

ITSA // Ex-MA
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Completed my first successful mission to Venus and landed (it’s not coming back, because they wouldn’t in real life if they landed)!
28AEAC8E-38A8-44C3-B4BE-8B5ACDDCC72A.png
D5060636-8FC8-4629-9007-C24F71E75EEB.png

And I made it there in a rocket that I didn’t even think would work for that long! Also what are thoughts on the lander/probe? I’m pretty sure I’m going to continue using the same one for some time.

Hawk

ITSA // Ex-MA
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
I also completed this station for no reason besides I just felt like I needed a station of some sort on this save.
CBB77754-00C6-4D04-B775-E6C0C6EC0B49.png

I might expand it.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Dude, your contraptions are cool. :)
Small and detailed trumps big and plain everyday.

You're inspiring me to make something...

T

TtTOtW

Completed my first successful mission to Venus and landed (it’s not coming back, because they wouldn’t in real life if they landed)!
View attachment 42316 View attachment 42317
And I made it there in a rocket that I didn’t even think would work for that long! Also what are thoughts on the lander/probe? I’m pretty sure I’m going to continue using the same one for some time.
Very unique lander :) not dockable though so itwill reach the limits of its usefulness soon. Also, awesome station, dude!

Hawk

ITSA // Ex-MA
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
D980FD3B-9441-461A-BE61-2D1C70D34D10.png

Expansion complete. Anymore and the game starts to lag a bit.

Hawk

ITSA // Ex-MA
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
65E4E65F-B902-4B44-BF01-980EC7B5FFE8.png
D7269112-B3E2-4FBF-A499-061372824634.png
5CB420FE-65E0-4089-99F9-DC929AE0908A.png

My new standard rocket for future Mars/Venus mission.
Based on the Atlas V-521.
Completed it’s first launch carrying a research satellite (never decided what type for some reason) that I made. Will make another launch shortly to carry a photography/mapping satellite to Mars as well.
It’s much better than the Venus rocket that I made in my opinion.

T

TtTOtW

Normally I'd suggest some fixes, but it seems in this case it would spoil a perfectly well behaving and adequate machine's character :)

Hawk

ITSA // Ex-MA
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
9663E3E9-B9CA-42F2-BB06-24191B45143D.png
86D83A89-3EA5-4298-87B7-250082EF49AA.png

The parachutes has a slight malfunction when the game didn’t actually register that I wasn’t several thousand meters from the surface but that I was actually ~500 from the surface. Landed on Olympus Mons (?) I’m guessing.