Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
In response to many a beginners question on 'how to do [insert thing here]', I've decided to create a very basic beginners guide to building.

Firstly though, I'm going to go into speak about 3 terms that get used a lot on the forum that aren't a general, everyday occurrence outside rocketry.
  • TWR
  • ISP
  • Delta V (Or Dv)
I've tried to simply it as much as possible for the layman beginner, so please excuse the length of posts. They will makes sense by the end as it goes into why as well as how, which from experience is almost as important when teaching.

Then later on, a little 'how to' on
  • Stages
  • Boosters
  • Fairings.
  • Transfer windows
  • Encounters
  • Docking.
  • Landing
And maybe a few other things (terminology) if there’s interest.

But, with these skills shall ye inherit not just the Earth, but the Solar system as well my son.

Last edited:

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
TWR
(Thrust Weight Ratio)

If you're into cars, you'll have heard about power to weight ratios and higher is better. This is slightly different in rockets, as in a car, you literally divide weight by power and get something like 500bhp per ton or whatever.
With a rocket however, things are a bit more complicated. Dividing its force (power) by its mass (weight), you get its acceleration, not TWR. To get TWR, you have to get local gravity involved (g) because you're fighting that as you climb.
So, TWR is your acceleration divided by g.
On the plus side, the game works out and displays this on the build screen for you.
Why is this important?
When sat on a Launchpad on Earth, gravity is actually accelerating your rocket into the floor at 9.8m/s2. What stops it moving is an equal and opposite force provided by the ground its sat on. If the ground suddenly disappeared, the rocket would accelerate downwards, in freefall, at 9.8m/s2.
What you need to achieve is a higher acceleration than 9.8m/s2 to beat that downward pull.
Unlike a road car, where a 1 to 1 power to weight ratio is an almost unobtainable holy grail of hyper cars, a TWR of 1 means all you are doing is matching exactly the force gravity is applying to your rocket and you will make a lot of noise but move absolutely nowhere and if the ground suddenly disappeared then you would hover there.
To achieve lift off, your rocket needs more than a TWR of 1. What a TWR of 1.2 means is 90% of your thrust is being used equalling g, the other 10% is actually giving you lift.
So, why not just go nuts, throw 16 titans on boosters and make a TWR of like 6 or whatever. You can do, but the amount of fuel you'll need to sustain that fire will be extortionate and then you have drag to contend with and the faster you accelerate, the more drag punishes you.
We usually aim for a TWR of 1.2 - 1.4/6 when building as it is the most efficient. It gives enough push to achieve lift, whilst tiptoeing quietly past drag at lower altitudes where the air is thickest and uses (generally) less fuel doing so. Then, as it climbs, the air thins and the rocket will start accelerating faster and faster due to its mass changing as fuel is burnt. g changes as well as you climb away, but its negligible at this stage.

Also, because different places have a different gravitational force, the TWR will change if you are say, on the moon. This is handy to know for return trips for landers. Say your lander weighs 35tons. On Earth you'll need at least a Broadsword to lift it. On the moon, even a grasshopper engine is over kill and you can get into orbit with only 3 ion engines because gravity is so low there.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
ISP
Specific Impulse

Sticking with the car theme, ISP is simply how fuel efficient an engine is. In car terms, that’s distance/fuel (miles per gallon for example). In space, that doesn't work because theoretically once you're in deep space with no forces acting on you, then you will continue in motion forever at a constant speed covering all the distance in the universe for free. (I know technically that’s the same for a car but you have drivetrain resistance, rolling resistance, drag etc. all acting on the car, trying to slow it, thus you need to keep applying fuel to maintain a speed).
ISP is essentially a measure of how much of fuel quantity it takes to produce an amount of thrust. The less fuel an engine burns to achieve a specific impulse, the more efficient it is.
Now, 2 things about ISP
  1. It's measured in seconds
  2. It does take gravity into account.
Why seconds, and not lbs, kg, N or whatever? Because NASA, when they were working all this stuff out, was a mix of 'borrowed' German scientists and Americans. One side (Zee Germans) wanted to use Metric. The Americans wanted to use Imperial. After what I'd like to assume was a good natured fight involving a lot of spanners and slide rules, they decided on a unit of measurement everyone knew, but wasn’t in either system. Seconds.
And with gravity, you use Earths gravity 9.8 regardless of where you are. Why? Because its used as a constant, a benchmark for comparison. It allows you to compare an ISP of say a Rocketdyne F1 Engine with a titan without worrying if someone has used...Mars...as a constant for the titan.
How to work out ISP then. Easy, the information pops up when you select an engine will tell you its ISP. And as long as you only use that engine, regardless of how many, the rockets ISP will be that number.
Things get complicated when you're using engine combinations, or boosters with different engines. Even though each engine is using is own ISP, when it comes to working out the Delta V (coming soon...) of that rocket, you need a combined ISP of the engines that are being used at the time.
There are 2 ways of doing this.
Hard Way:
  1. you need the exhaust velocity of an engine. To work this out, you multiply thrust by fuel consumption.
  2. Then, you multiply that, by g (9.8) to get an individual engine ISP
  3. Do that for all engines
  4. Now, for each individual engine, divide its force by its own ISP. Do this for all of the engines and add the totals together. Then take the combined total of all the thrust your engines create and divide that by the all the totals you've just worked out.
Or

Easy Way.
  1. Add up the combined thrust of your engines
  2. Add up the combined fuel consumption of your engines.
  3. Take your gravitational constant (9.8) and multiply it by your total consumption.
  4. Finally, take your combined thrust and divide it by the answer you just got.
  5. BOOM. ISP Baby.

Last edited:

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Delta V

This is where things start becoming unashamedly nerdy and knowing your Dv or even your ISP isn't important if you are a casual player as trial and error will get you most places. However once you get deeper into the game and you hit a performance plateau with your rocket ability like I did, then you're going to need to get acquainted with this guy.
Fortunately, it is a lot easier than it looks.

So, what is Dv? it is a rockets performance, based upon its ability to chance velocity (speed) before it runs out of fuel. Being velocity, it is measured in m/s. So a rocket with a Dv of 2000m/s is capable of changing its velocity by 2000. That doesn't just mean acceleration. To move around in orbit usually requires you to slow down as well so that 2000 can be spent speeding up to 1500m/s and then using the remaining 500 to slow down to 1,000m/s or any other combination of accelerate and braking you require. This is important for job planning when building, as for example you are going to the moon and back, then you’re going to need sufficient Dv to do so (for a rough guide on required values, @Altaïr Dv Map is a good example). Especially on bigger builds when you start moving payloads and space stations around the place.

How do you work it out then...?
For this, we need the Rocket Equation. The best explanation I’ve seen on it is on YouTube (Scott Manley) and its how I got my head around it.
In nerd terms, its gxISPxLN(Mf/Me).
Yeah, I said the same thing. The fuck is LN, Mf and Me?! And aren't you glad we've already worked out ISP...
So.
  • Mf. Mass, full. This is the combined weight of your rocket at that moment, including all the upper stages and payload. This is sometimes called your 'wet' mass.
  • Me. Mass, Empty. This is how much your rocket will weigh after that burn. This is usually when the tanks are dry (hence 'dry' mass) but could be a specific fuel allowance as well if required.
  • LN. Natural Logarithm. This is on a scientific calculator and you just press the button and it does it for you. Basically tells the equation that the following numbers are going to slide gradually from Mf to Me and it needs to take into account the numbers in-between (essentially, how much fuel you have to burn).
  • The g is constant for reference. Again, it doesn't care where you are in the solar system, you always use 9.8.

With that in mind, lets make it work.
Say there’s that 35t lander we spoke about earlier on the moon.
Its got 3 ion engines (ISP = 1020) and 15 tons of fuel to burn giving you a dry mass of 20 tons.
Your Dv is 9.8 x 1020 x LN(35 [overall mass at the start] /20 [mass at the end of the burn]) = 5596.157879. Which is more than enough to achieve orbit, go other places on the moon (you've got enough burn time for about half hour of hovering) or even go back to Earth.

Points to note though with Dv.
  1. It doesn't care about how many engines you have. You get the same number if you had 1 Ion or a million ion engines. All it cares about is fuel and efficiency.
  2. It does care if you lie to it though. If you say you have 2 titans and 3 Frontier engines giving you an ISP of 258.1 seconds, Dv of 1415m/s but you only light the Titans (ISP 244.89) thinking lower fuel consumption gives better Dv then you're going to be in for a shocker as it will only give you 1343m/s before you are out of fuel.
  3. It doesn't take TWR into account. At all. So those 3 ions on the lander will give you 5 and a half thousand m/s to spend moving around the solar system will get you off the moon no hassle (TWR 1.44). On Earth, even though you only need a Dv of about 2,800-3,000m/s to hit LEO, because the TWR is now 0.20, you will spend a very long time watching them ssllllooooooowlly draining the tanks and going nowhere.
  4. Delta V loves more fuel, more economy and more lightness. Sticking with that lander, lets play with some numbers, see what it likes and hates.
    1. Original Rover.
      1. 9.8 x 1020 x LN(35/20) = 5596.1 m/s
    2. lets keep the weight the same, but add more fuel. Say 5 tons.
      1. 9.8 x 1020 x LN(35/15) = 8472.9m/s
    3. How about we add a 5 ton tank to the original design, so there’s the same amount of fuel as above (20tons), but also more weight to shift.
      1. 9.8 x 1020 x LN(40/20) = 6931.4m/s
    4. Ok, what about the original fuel balance (15 tons), but with a lighter lander?
      1. 9.8 x 1020 x LN(30/15) = 6931.4m/s
        1. See they're the same? Making things lighter and more efficient is generally better than making them heavier with more fuel to compensate as it has an extra 1,400m/s of Dv to play with for no extra weight, which comes in handy when building your launch vehicle to put the lander on the moon in the first place.
    5. Efficiency is King.
      1. Lets take the initial rover, and swap the ions with the Grasshopper, which is a typical lander engine but hideously inefficient.
        1. 9.8 x 244.8 x LN (35 / 20) = 1343.1m/s
          1. All other things equal, you lose about 4,000m/s Dv just with an engine swap.

Last edited:

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Staging.
Orbitally capable rockets are of 2 types. Ones which use a Single Stage To Orbit (SSTO) or ones with 2 or more stages.
What is Staging? Why is Staging? Who is Gamora?

What?
Staging is basically having multiple layers to your rocket, each with its own engine, fuel source, job spec and method of separation.
Why?
Staging allows 2 things. Firstly, it means you can use the right type of engine at the right time and place of a flight. SSTOs can also do this, you just have multiple engines on the build. What an SSTO can't do though, which is most important as we learned earlier, is shed weight in the form of unused fuel tanks and engines whilst in flight. This has an adverse effect on its potential Dv and for a given fuel mass, a staged rocket can do much, much more than an SSTO.

Why build an SSTO then? Cos its a challenge mostly.

What I'm going to do now is a very basic example of an SSTO vs staged rocket.

Screenshot_2019-03-29-00-50-42.png

In the picture, we see 2 designs. The one on the right is an SSTO, the left one is a 2 stage plus lander configuration. They contain exactly the same amount of fuel. They have almost the same launch TWR of roughly 1.2 (The staged one is actually heavier because I've added other items for further topics and because it has more engines)

Here is the flight data from both rockets.

SSTO

Screenshot_2019-03-29-02-18-08.png

Staged

Screenshot_2019-03-29-02-26-13.png

As you can see there is a massive difference in capability between them, despite having the exact same fuel capacity and similiar overall weight. Infact despite being heavier at launch, the staged rocket has about 1,500m/s more Dv to play with and almost triple the burn time because of the more efficient engines and weight shedding throughout.

Alright, there's the theory. Now lets do the practical.

Here they both are, sitting on the Launchpad.

Screenshot_2019-03-29-00-50-51.png

I'm going to launch the SSTO first,

Screenshot_2019-03-29-00-51-21.png

and put it into a 150km ish orbit.

Screenshot_2019-03-29-00-54-38.png

Because its lighter and uses the most powerful engine throughout, it climbs rapidly and establishes orbit with 15% fuel remaining (Roughly 11.4tons of fuel).

Screenshot_2019-03-29-00-54-41.png

Next up, the staged rocket. This gains speed a bit more slowly until it hits 19km.

Screenshot_2019-03-29-00-57-52.png

Then, press on the separator and it will blow a small charge, pushing the lighter (empty) stage away from the rest of the rocket to fall back to Earth and burn up/land on someones house.

Screenshot_2019-03-29-00-57-55.png

Once you're clear, light the new engine (a very efficient, but less powerful Broadsword) and use that to burn to achieve a dock (more on that later...) with the already in orbit SSTO at 150km. Even with the faf of docking maneuvers using a main engine (going old school with no RCS), it still manages to have 18% in stage 2 and a complete and untouched lander stage as well (all up, about 12.24t fuel left).

Screenshot_2019-03-29-01-16-50.png

So, how much further can we get? I've no doubt the SSTO could get into a higher orbit, maybe even get a fair distance to the moon or an encounter if we weren't messing with orbits. But no further than that. What about the other one? Well, we undock from the SSTO, burn for the moon (more on burn windows later) and stage 2 runs out of juice about 2/3rds of the way (earlier than usual, thanks to spending Dv achieving an orbit and docking) and then separates to the lander which has enough Dv get an encounter (More on that, later) do a powered lunar landing (more on landing later), then lift off from the moon (using lunar TWR), lunar orbit, return trip and if it wasn't for me wanting to demonstrate parachutes, a powered landing as well on Earth. As it is, I make touch down Lunar with 3.78t of fuel left

Screenshot_2019-03-29-01-35-39.png

and mission complete at Earth with 1.44t fuel to spare.

Screenshot_2019-03-29-01-52-08.png

Last edited:

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Right, so now we've got into the why certain things are as they in rocketry, lets go into the how.

First up, the fun part.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Building

This is where I'm going to go through planning and building 3 very basic missions sets that can sum up almost everything you can do ingame.
  1. Satellites
  2. Landers
  3. Space Stations
Obviously there are more things you can do and the designs I'm showing are very basic to get the mechanics down and after all, it's a sandbox so you can build, drive, lift, blow up, drill and launch anything you want.

So, the first thing you should ask yourself when presented with a blank build screen is thus.

What am I trying to achieve?

The reason for that is exactly the same reason why we did all the nerdy maths stuff first. Answer the question first, turn your answer into some epic build (henceforth known as a payload) and then create a suitable rocket (or Launch Vehicle [L/V]) to put it where you need it. You can do L/V first and payload second, especially if you are experienced or have a capable L/V (many of us have a few creations for different purposes and payloads) you've used before, but as a beginner what may happen is your rocket may get off the ground, but the second stage won't have the right TWR/Dv to finish the job and your L/V falls out of the sky and blows up.

To demonstrate the point, I'm going to build from the bottom up, creating the L/V first and then payload.
So, lets throw a hawk and 3 long tanks down with a separator. Then a broadsword and another long tank. And we want to put 20t into orbit, in this case represented by a long tank, some ports and a fairing to cover it all. All up, 118.8t

Screenshot_2019-03-30-03-21-38.png

Ooh, a TWR of .99. That, as we showed earlier, won't fly.
Because we've done it this way, we've been unable to track its TWR until it's completed. The number at the bottom of the screen says that the single hawk engine of stage one isn't sufficient. Easy fix, just put a second one on. Bit over kill, but it works.

Screenshot_2019-03-30-03-27-52.png

But what about stage 2? Because we couldn't check it as we built, it's a mystery until we remove stage one completely

Screenshot_2019-03-30-03-28-10.png

and discover that it has a TWR of 0.74 which is essentially a crash waiting to happen that wouldn't raise its head until you were inflight.

Now, lets try it the other way about and build top down. There is a good ratio for rocket stage sizes that can help when deciding how big everything is going to be, and that is 1:2:4.
That means, for every 1t of payload, you'll need 2t in the stage below, and 4t in the stage below that. Obviously thats just a rough guideline as it doesn't take into account destination etc but if you look at the moon mission from earlier, the weights aren't far off that ratio.
Lets build a payload then. For this first bit, we're going to build a small satellite. Now the design combinations and examples of satellites are damn near endless, depending on what you want to achieve but here we are just going to take a probe, slap a 5t tank on it, some solar panels, docking port, a few RCS and a grasshopper engine so it can adjust its orbit (and de-orbit itself). 10.3t. You'll want this to be far enough up the build area to fit your L/V under it, but with a bit of a gap under the extreme top of the area so you can fit a fairing shroud over it. The TWR of the payload doesn't matter, as it should be in space by the time the engine is fired and it will always accelerate, regardless of mass (just sometimes, really, really really slowly) because there's no gravity to fight against.

Screenshot_2019-03-30-03-55-18.png

Now the payload is sorted, lets pop an L/V under it.

Since the payload is 10t, then stage 2 is going to be roughly 20t. So, what I do is place an engine down that will lift 20t+10t (in this case, the broadsword) place a separator under the payload engine and then add fuel to the desired weight. In this case, I've put a small and medium basic tank in weighing 15t combined.

Screenshot_2019-03-30-04-21-50.png

Then, I craft a fairing shroud around the payload. Fairings are removable, aerodynamic covers over your payload that mean that drag isn't acting on your wonky, structural part intensive payload and slowing your rate of climb. When building a shroud, figure out the widest part of your payload and place a fairing wide enough to surround it in each side. Then build upwards getting narrower until you put the pointy end on top. Then build downward until the fairing is narrow enough that the little attachment squares is touching the fuel tank on stage 2. You may have to flip the fairing to achieve that.

Your build should look like this so far.

Screenshot_2019-03-30-04-28-02.png

Stage 2 now weighs 19t, a 10t payload on top with an all up mass of 29.3t. With the broadsword and 13.5t of fuel to burn, we've got a good TWR of 1.39 and a Dv of 9.8 x ISP of 281.492 x LN (wet mass 29.3 / dry mass 15.83) [notice this is stage 2s fuel allocation, not the total fuel on board. We're leaving the satellites fuel out of the equation] = 1701.25 m/s.

Now, we know this won't be enough to hit orbit. We're going to need roughly another 1,100-1,300 m/s to break the atmosphere and another few hundred to get to a decent orbit height.

For stage 1 then, we know we're going to need double again the amount of mass of stage 2. That puts us into the 40 ish ton ball park, with a combined weight of 70+tons and thus need an engine to accommodate this.
The Hawk.

Again, we drop a separator in under the broadsword, put the hawk down and add the balance of weight in fuel tanks and see what we come up with. That equates to an easy 2 long basic tanks at 40 tons, the hawk is 4t plus change for the separator is 44.3t.

Screenshot_2019-03-30-04-54-28.png

Lets run the numbers and see if it is sufficient.
The hawks ISP is 250.741.
The wet mass is the combined totals of stage 1, 2 and payload at 73.63t.
Now even though the L/V is carrying 49.5t of fuel, you're already accounting for that elsewhere. The dry weight of stage one alone is 37.63t as you only have access to the 36t of fuel on that stage.
Thus, stage on D/V is 9.8 x 250.741 x LN (73.63/37.63) = 1649.44 m/s

Combined, that gives you 1701.25 + 1649.44 = 3350.69 m/s of Delta v in your launch vehicle with a satellite payload.

Screenshot_2019-03-30-05-30-55.png

Congratulations, you've just planned and built your first mission.

Now save it, and lets build something else.

Jez 10

Local Expert Pinoy
ET phone home
Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
I have question about this.
Lets say I have a Hawk, with an ISP of 250, I place two on the first stage of my rocket, do I simply multiply the ISP to two?

T

TtTOtW

I have question about this.
Lets say I have a Hawk, with an ISP of 250, I place two on the first stage of my fluffy puffy poodle, do I simply multiply the ISP to two?
The first stage of WHAT??? What's going on?