Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Horus Lupercal How low of a price is considered "low cost" for the military? Like missiles for example.
Well, it'd depend on capability and type. Like I remember a Javelin is priced about 120,000 a missile (up from 60,000, and thats just the missile, not including the CLU) and NLAW is about 15-25,000 a pop. ASM and the 66 family are a lot cheaper because they're unguided.

NLAW is about 15-25,000 a pop.
Great, because when we were designing our satellite, we planned to use a professionally-made radiation hardened ADCS board, which costs between 10000-25000 dollars per unit. Those boards are just 10 cm in width and length.

That is just part of the satellite's control and operating system. With all other modules added on, this whole vehicle could cost up to 100,000 per unit. But if we are to give the entire blueprint to say the government or some large corporation to mass produce it, would they see a 100 grand as a drop in the bucket?

This' the reason why I'm asking about "whats considered cheap to the army".

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
And the Javelin is standard issue?
Ish. Like if you're in the anti-tank platoon then Javelin is your main toy. But because of how much they cost (and the hassle they cause on a range), it's a rarity they get fired outside of operations.

This' the reason why I'm asking about "whats considered cheap to the army".
It'd depend on what the thing is. I was involved in a conversation about things being done to Jackal and holdbacks on costs and the reply was 'as long as it's less than 100 grand, then it doesn't go too high up to get signed off. Over that, especially into 7 figures, and it starts becoming a big deal'.

The government as such wouldn't manufacturer it. Someone like BAE systems or Thales or Lockheed Martin to make it, present it to UK Defence and say 'we have this thing here, it does this and costs this'. Defence Procurement would look at it and go 'we've always wanted one of these, I'll have x amount' or 'we like it, but it's a bit pricey, so we'll hold a competition between all of you, see which one is best but buy the cheapest anyway'.

Next generation, Light Anti-tank Weapon. It's not light. At all.

My money is on the guidance computer, hopefully
Yeah, absolutely. The Javelin is a ridiculously intelligent missile. Sometimes it's too smart for its own good and will just act like a spoiled teen and fuck off somewhere. NLAW is also semi intelligent, in that it'll run in the direction you fire it and doesn't so much guide itself like Jav does, you track the target as you pull the trigger, the missile recognises your movement, figures the target is moving and maintains that sideways movement on top attack as it goes downrange. As long as the target doesn't do anything different, the missile will hit so you don't have to aim off. However, if the target stops whilst the missile is in flight, then it'll sail past and land where the tank should have been.
It also doesn't like powerlines or barbed wire.

It'd depend on what the thing is. I was involved in a conversation about things being done to Jackal and holdbacks on costs and the reply was 'as long as it's less than 100 grand, then it doesn't go too high up to get signed off. Over that, especially into 7 figures, and it starts becoming a big deal'.
That is just part of the satellite's control and operating system. With all other modules added on, this whole vehicle could cost up to 100,000 per unit. But if we are to give the entire blueprint to say the government or some large corporation to mass produce it, would they see a 100 grand as a drop in the bucket?
So judging by your response, I think 100,000 is too much. How about I dump the stupid ADCS board and replace it with a manual UHF control board, its way cheaper and they're planned to be controlled manually anyway. I'll keep the basic attitude determination system like the magnetometer and roll gyros.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Money well spent. Like how parents spend a fortune to raise a boy but kills himself before he could make himself useful.
When the closedown from Helmand was happening, there was loads of stuff that was reaching the end of shelf life and it was more cost effective to get rid of it in situ than bring back to the UK. The engineers were blowing shitloads of it up, and amongst it all at the place I was at, a few jav missiles needed to go.

So the lads threw these 3 missiles at an old pick up we'd dragged onto the range, 1 on direct, the other 2 on top attack. The first 2 scored hit, no issue. The third, seeing that the pick up had been destroyed by the previous, decided to not even bother coming down and just buggered off and self destructed wayyy off into the desert.

So judging by your response, I think 100,000 is too much. How about I dump the stupid ADCS board and replace it with a manual UHF control board, its way cheaper and they're planned to be controlled manually anyway. I'll keep the basic attitude determination system like the magnetometer and roll gyros.
I'd keep it in to be honest. The more 'capability' it has, the better it'll sound to the laymen that buy these things. The programme will cost more than 100 grand anyway unless they only buy one system.

Last edited:

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
On the subject of Star Wars, last year my brother made me Revan's mask from Knights of The Old Republic:
1563068847602.jpg

(The scratched look is intentional as to make it look like it was used in battle)