Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I've started my mission to LSO. May I post it or should it remain confidential for now. Horus knows what I am sending in terms of payload anyway.
The reason behind this is because even with ion engines this takes a crazy time (at least several hours), and at some point we both have a life... The problem is that if we add more ion engines to reduce the burn time, we also increase the dry mass and then we have to reduce the payload or add more fuel (which tends to increase the burn time again for the later). But at some point it's just a contest of who will be the most patient: the ideal combination is having a single ion engine to maximize the payload, but who will accept to spend more than 100 hours to complete this challenge? o_O

To avoid pushing that contest to unreasonable levels I've already announced my performance (and I will already need 6 hours of burn time!).

T

TtTOtW

I've started my mission to LSO. May I post it or should it remain confidential for now. Horus knows what I am sending in terms of payload anyway.
The reason behind this is because even with ion engines this takes a crazy time (at least several hours), and at some point we both have a life... The problem is that if we add more ion engines to reduce the burn time, we also increase the dry mass and then we have to reduce the payload or add more fuel (which tends to increase the burn time again for the later). But at some point it's just a contest of who will be the most patient: the ideal combination is having a single ion engine to maximize the payload, but who will accept to spend more than 100 hours to complete this challenge? o_O

To avoid pushing that contest to unreasonable levels I've already announced my performance (and I will already need 6 hours of burn time!).
If your entry is known to your competitor, then you may post it here.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Yeah, me and the stig have had conversations about this challenge, cos it's a doozy like...

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
It worked out at several days irl of ion powered deceleration burns. We're kinda helped that ion engines are even more broken in 1.5 than they were in 1.4, because hauling a power supply as well as fuel, payload and the engines themselves would've probably killed the challenge.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
It worked out at several days irl of ion powered deceleration burns. We're kinda helped that ion engines are even more broken in 1.5 than they were in 1.4, because hauling a power supply as well as fuel, payload and the engines themselves would've probably killed the challenge.
Yep, I agree with that. However I'm not sure 1.5 really acts in our favour. From the delta-V maps, an insertion in LSO costs 22.7 km/s in 1.4, but 37.9 km/s in 1.5. At least we don't need solar panels anymore in 1.5, but under 1.4 we could have pretended that the solar panels were part of the payload... But it would have been insane as well.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Yep, I agree with that. However I'm not sure 1.5 really acts in our favour. From the delta-V maps, an insertion in LSO costs 22.7 km/s in 1.4, but 37.9 km/s in 1.5. At least we don't need solar panels anymore in 1.5, but under 1.4 we could have pretended that the solar panels were part of the payload... But it would have been insane as well.
Small mercies. Lower Dv requirement against a better ISP/TWR and a less dead weight

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Ok, let me introduce my entry to that challenge. Such a challenge needed a beautiful launcher, and an amazing name. So here is...
Screenshot_20200803-144343_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

The Ultra rayman Superstar!

Indeed, I wanted to dedicate that launcher to rayman, a member that in a few posts proved to be particularly wise and respectable in the Discord ban appeal section. If this launcher is named after him, it's also because his little brother helped me to design the first stage. He's the one that found the name too.

Of course, to be fair Horus can ask some help from another member from the Discord ban appeal section too :)

The payload weighs 4.8 tons by the way.

rayman has been installed in the probe with a few candies and a teddy bear and is ready to go:
Screenshot_20200803-144436_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200803-145351_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200803-145656_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Once I'm in LEO, the plan is simple: VEEGA, followed by a backward gravity assist with Jupiter to get close to the Sun:
Screenshot_20200803-234804_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200803-235129_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200803-235546_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200804-000339_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200804-001039_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200804-002203_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
The drive units equipped with the Frontier did most of the job for the initial injection burn, but I switched to ion engines as soon as I could to finish the job, and I jettisoned the drive units once all their fuel was consumed.

Then, at the Sun periapsis begins the looooong braking part:
Screenshot_20200804-002624_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
With 20 ion engines and more than 600 tons of fuel to burn, the burn time is expected to be around 6 hours o_O

After a moment, this is my situation:
Screenshot_20200804-120643_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
I still have a long way to go!
I'll do it progressively over the next few days.

Too bad I'm not a student anymore, I would have done this during my philosophy classes :rolleyes:

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Ultra rayman Superstar
It looks like a rocket powered Picasso painting. And it's absolutely beautiful. All hail Rayman and his little brother.

Also, have you gone with an underpowered second stage again Altair, you sneaky devil you...

In unrelated news, can't remember who it was talking about needing a CoM/CoT indicator in the VAB, but this is exactly why you don't need one.
This'd never fly in KSP. SFS?

TO THE SUN, WE RIDE!

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Dad, Space Stig is bending the laws of physics again!

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Dad, Space Stig is bending the laws of physics again!
Some say that he's capable of creating black holes by giving space time a stern look, and in his copy of the big book of the Laws of Physics, 'Laws' has been neatly lined through and 'Guidelines' written next to it in black marker.

That trajectory just looks WRONG. o_O
How does that work?
*cue the interstellar music*

Mooncrasher: Altair, that trajectory, it's not possible.
Altair: No. It's necessary...

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Also, have you gone with an underpowered second stage again Altair, you sneaky devil you...
Actually the second stage is assisted by the third stage at first, otherwise I would really have too little thrust. Then the third stage is turned off again once I have enough speed, and I let the second stage run alone while refueling the third one. Also, that crazy first stage gives a really high kick at first. The TWR at lift-off is close to 2, I've gone completely nuts there :p

This is also the reason for my trajectory at first: I start my gravity turn right after lift-off.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Actually the second stage is assisted by the third stage at first
Aaah, didn't see the third row firing. Thought you were taking cues from the SSSSSSSSSSSSSSLS and going 0.5 on us.

This is also the reason for my trajectory at first: I start my gravity turn right after lift-off
Yep. Necessary as you need to get as much speed as possible from that stage to give the second one a chance.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Ok, let me introduce my entry to that challenge. Such a challenge needed a beautiful launcher, and an amazing name. So here is...
View attachment 43081
The Ultra rayman Superstar!

Indeed, I wanted to dedicate that launcher to rayman, a member that in a few posts proved to be particularly wise and respectable in the Discord ban appeal section. If this launcher is named after him, it's also because his little brother helped me to design the first stage. He's the one that found the name too.

Of course, to be fair Horus can ask some help from another member from the Discord ban appeal section too :)

The payload weighs 4.8 tons by the way.

rayman has been installed in the probe with a few candies and a teddy bear and is ready to go:
View attachment 43082 View attachment 43083 View attachment 43084

Once I'm in LEO, the plan is simple: VEEGA, followed by a backward gravity assist with Jupiter to get close to the Sun:
View attachment 43085 View attachment 43086 View attachment 43087 View attachment 43088 View attachment 43089 View attachment 43090
The drive units equipped with the Frontier did most of the job for the initial injection burn, but I switched to ion engines as soon as I could to finish the job, and I jettisoned the drive units once all their fuel was consumed.

Then, at the Sun periapsis begins the looooong braking part:
View attachment 43091
With 20 ion engines and more than 600 tons of fuel to burn, the burn time is expected to be around 6 hours o_O

After a moment, this is my situation:
View attachment 43092
I still have a long way to go!
I'll do it progressively over the next few days.

Too bad I'm not a student anymore, I would have done this during my philosophy classes :rolleyes:
Okay, just for the record, I think this is awesome, but I also have to say something I neer thought I would ever say: Here's the Space Stig presenting a rocket that is basically a clusterfuck of engines and colored fuel tanks...

T

TtTOtW

You are...

Well, I'd say insane. But then I remembered the Stig doesn't know that word. Lol.

Nice rocket ;)

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
You are...

Well, I'd say insane. But then I remembered the Stig doesn't know that word. Lol.

Nice rocket ;)

Here's the Space Stig presenting a rocket that is basically a clusterfuck of engines and colored fuel tanks...
It wasn't me, it was rayman's brother :p

I finished to burn one of my fuel tanks!
Screenshot_20200804-194109_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200804-194119_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Only problem is that now the ship is unbalanced and tends to turn more than expected. I thought I could compensate, but I underestimated this effect. o_O
Hopefully, turning off the left most column of ion engines helps a lot, and the problem should gradually be solved as the fuel from the right tank is consumed.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Only problem is that now the ship is unbalanced and tends to turn more than expected. I thought I could compensate, but I underestimated this effect. o_O
Hopefully, turning off the left most column of ion engines helps a lot, and the problem should gradually be solved as the fuel from the right tank is consumed.
Ions need more gimbal