Glitches and Exploits

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
T

TtTOtW

I tried to smash mine off with my assembly drone, but I destroyed the station.
Yes, you need to go at the right speed. Too slow does nothing. Too fast does more than intended. Operating a drone in abnormal conditions is truly a special skill.

T

TtTOtW

That, and hit only what you're trying to destroy.
Yeah... Takes some experience and a weird combination of going at the correct fast speed and maintaining it, and your direction, amid the update's increased magnetic port force pulling you hither and thither. Not easy sometimes...

Alecs

Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Hence the title "glitches and exploits"
I know a big but I don't think it's an actual bug since the game is not for far range antialising like when my apoapsis and periapsis are 30km and 6000m above earth the object should be in earth atmosphere and splash down but when I switch to another rocket or object and time warp the first object just keeps orbiting at 6000m still
I hope stef can fix this but I know it might make the game more laggy and nothing more

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
I know a big but I don't think it's an actual bug since the game is not for far range antialising like when my apoapsis and periapsis are 30km and 6000m above earth the object should be in earth atmosphere and splash down but when I switch to another rocket or object and time warp the first object just keeps orbiting at 6000m still
I hope stef can fix this but I know it might make the game more laggy and nothing more
Because SFS timewarp isn't physical timewarp. Everything behaves as if it was out of physics range. If it was physical, we could accelerate long low thrust burns...

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
That's not a bug, it's an exploit that's been around for a long time. If you time warp or switch away from an object in atmosphere then the drag system completely ignores it. Used to be used a lot to negate 1.4.06s broken drag model during the climb to LEO.
If you hadn't quite made orbit before your rocket started to fall back down because of a lack of TWR or a bad flight profile but your periapsis was above the ground, then you could switch away and time warp so your rocket completed an orbit inside the atmosphere until it reached apoapsis and then continue your burn. Or if you were attempting aerobraking but over-cooked it, then you aerobrake as much as you need and then timewarp when you wanted to stop.
Certain SFS Youtubers who shall remain nameless used to do this quite often during challenges along with altering the timewarp altitude value in the planet file so you didn't need to be above 25km to time warp, and would edit that part of the replay in the hope that no one would notice.

Alecs

Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
That's not a bug, it's an exploit that's been around for a long time. If you time warp or switch away from an object in atmosphere then the drag system completely ignores it. Used to be used a lot to negate 1.4.06s broken drag model during the climb to LEO.
If you hadn't quite made orbit before your rocket started to fall back down because of a lack of TWR or a bad flight profile but your periapsis was above the ground, then you could switch away and time warp so your rocket completed an orbit inside the atmosphere until it reached apoapsis and then continue your burn. Or if you were attempting aerobraking but over-cooked it, then you aerobrake as much as you need and then timewarp when you wanted to stop.
Certain SFS Youtubers who shall remain nameless used to do this quite often during challenges along with altering the timewarp altitude value in the planet file so you didn't need to be above 25km to time warp, and would edit that part of the replay in the hope that no one would notice.
Got it thanks for explaining!

SFSAbhishek

/<***@Intricate Crafts are Mine✓***>\
Star Forger
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Can Stef add an update in which this exploit is solved.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Can Stef add an update in which this exploit is solved.
Not really. And for one simple reason.

The exploit works off how the physics engine ignores everything that is 5km away from the player controlled craft. This is to keep the frame rate up as it's not calculating potential scenarios for every single object in the solar system.

If he were to 'fix' it, you know that lag spike you get when you get close to the ground during a gravity assist or when you get close to a large space station for docking?

Imagine if you clustered every single thing you have anywhere in the solar system into one blob, landed it all on Ganymede and then tried landing next to it.

Imagine that lag.

That is how your game would run all the time.

So if I had to choose between a higher frame rate and the potential for cheaters to cheat (which they'll do anyway), or permanent lag spike as soon as I spawn, I'll take the higher frame/cheat rate.

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
And here, the Oscar-winning creators of "Docking ports that require manual reload before docking" and Its sequel: "Docking ports that dock sideways" present you...:
Screenshot_20200927-124834.png

"Engines that work without fuel: The movie"

And if that is not enough then just watch...:
Screenshot_20200927-124826.png

"Ghost trajectories: Director 's Cut" on full HD!

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
I hate only being able to see half of a suborbital trajectory.:mad:

Anyone having issues where all the fuel tanks empty all at once? I've got one cruiser trapped in a solar orbit and another, fortunately enough, in low-Earth orbit, both with empty tanks.

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
Anyone having issues where all the fuel tanks empty all at once? I've got one cruiser trapped in a solar orbit and another, fortunately enough, in low-Earth orbit, both with empty tanks.
Yep, Its a know glitch. The best way to fix it, ia using quicksaves.

I’ve had objects take weeks to deorbit due to the no aero glitch if I’m in long term test mode launching and return to pad/build, apart from reloading back in time they can repeatedly clear the periapsis pass when I scoot a new rocket to apo after it clears the atmosphere, burn into orbit and find a leave window

When I had a parachute glitch open in the high atmosphere it took over a month to land

T

TtTOtW

I’ve had objects take weeks to deorbit due to the no aero glitch if I’m in long term test mode launching and return to pad/build, apart from reloading back in time they can repeatedly clear the periapsis pass when I scoot a new rocket to apo after it clears the atmosphere, burn into orbit and find a leave window

When I had a parachute glitch open in the high atmosphere it took over a month to land
There's obviously a design fault with the chute.