Public Progress Thread (Off-topic SFS)

ASC

Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
however the engine will not turn off after the main fuel was used up, it will continue going but at reduced power, which means reduced fuel consumption to 1 tons used up every 22.9 seconds, but after 7.3 seconds it will run out of its actual fuel and will turn off

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Those are very low stats for an engine. 3 tons of thrust is very weak, it's the same as for 2 ion engines. The fuel consumption is huge too. With one ton of fuel consumed per 7.3 seconds it makes an Isp of 21.9 seconds, that's very low.

ASC

Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
maybe that "carbon" engine should be used when you are just an few tens meters of delta-v to reach the destination

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Then why do you redo it instantly?!

maybe that "carbon" engine should be used when you are just an few tens meters of delta-v to reach the destination
This post has been posted 4 minutes after your previous one. Please condense your posts, we can't spend our time merging your posts every day!

ASC

Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
Those are very low stats for an engine. 3 tons of thrust is very weak, it's the same as for 2 ion engines. The fuel consumption is huge too. With one ton of fuel consumed per 7.3 seconds it makes an Isp of 21.9 seconds, that's very low.
wait. remember that i said it burns 1 ton of fuel every 7.3 seconds?
well in one second of this engine running, it will burn 137 kilograms of fuel

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
wait. remember that i said it burns 1 ton of fuel every 7.3 seconds?
well in one second of this engine running, it will burn 137 kilograms of fuel
Yes, but what I said still stands.

For comparison, the Valiant engine burns 143 kg of fuel per second, which is close to your engine, but it provides 40 tons of thrust. Yours only gives 3 tons, it's far below.

If you want to take into account efficiency (which is Isp: specific impulse), you should use that formula:
Thrust (in tons) = fuel consumption (in tons/s) × Isp

Or the reversed variant:
fuel consumption = thrust / Isp

That's how I know the fuel consumption from the Valiant engine:
0.143 tons/s = 40 tons / 280 s

This will help you to set the fuel consumption accordingly to the thrust value. Ingame, a low Isp value is 240 s (Titan/Hawk engines) while a high value is 280-290 (Valiant/Frontier). Apart from this, the RCS have a very low value (I don't remember how much) and the ion engine a very high value (1200 seconds), but those are special cases.

ASC

Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
rcs have 120 s impluse but was actually significantly higher. because it was only using around 60-100 kg. while also propelling the spacecraft alot more faster, if its on space.

maybe i should put my another engine there if i have enough time.

ASC

Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
Proton Engine.png
thrust: 1300t
consuming fuel per 1 sec: 8 tons 125 kilograms
size: 8 wide

Maybe this one will not be inefficient as my last engine