Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Here is a thread to summarize everything you need to know to install mods.
Don't hesitate to ask if your question is not answered. This thread will be regularly updated when the situation evolves or if new questions arise.

That thread is intended for questions about modding in general. For questions related to a particular mod, please ask the author in his thread.

Are mods compatible with Android/Ios?

No, all mods available here only work with the Steam version of SFS. Mods/Custom parts/Textures are not compatible with any of the mobile versions. To this date, it's very unlikely that mods will be made available for mobile.

What do I need to install mods?

From version V1.5.8.5 (released on October the 20th, 2022), SFS includes a mod loader that you can access from the main screen. This mod loader allows the use of all mods present in this section, custom textures and custom parts, you don't need to install anything.

I still don't have access to the official mod loader, how do I update the game?

Note: this is for players that didn't update their game since October the 20th, 2022. You can skip this if you're not in this situation.

The game normally updates automatically by itself when you launch Steam, but you may have to perform these steps depending on your situation:

It's possible that the update doesn't trigger automatically. In this case you have to leave the beta program.

For this, open your game library, and right-click on Spaceflight Simulator:
BetaDownload1.png

Click on Properties, then open the "BETAS" panel:
BetaDownload2.png

Open the beta list, then select None:
BetaDownload5.png

Steam will automatically update your game to the latest version.

You have to uninstall the old mod loader. Here is how to proceed:
  • Navigate to your "Spaceflight Simulator Game" folder.
  • Remove "doorstop_config.ini" and "winhttp.dll".
  • Navigate to your "Spaceflight Simulator_Data/Managed" folder.
  • Remove "ModLoader.dll", but DON'T remove "0Harmony.dll". That last one has normally been updated, you need to keep that one.

How to access my game files?

The SFS files are installed by default under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Spaceflight Simulator\Spaceflight Simulator Game

You can also access that folder from Steam, by right-clicking on Spaceflight Simulator then choose Manage > Browse local files:
Access_GameFiles.png

From the game directory, here are all the important folders:
Game directories3.png

You can also directly open the Mods folder from the game, by clicking the Open Mods Folder button.

OpenModsFolder1.png

OpenModsFolder2.png

I'm interested in a mod. How do I install it?

The modders usually explain the procedure to install their mods. However, this is how you should proceed in general:

For mods: The mods consist in a dll file. From the game directory, navigate to "Spaceflight Simulator Game\Mods", and drop the dll file directly into it. Note that the next time you'll start the game, the file will automatically be moved into a subfolder named after the mod.​
For custom parts: Custom parts are defined through assets assembled into an ".pack" file. You have to drop the asset files into "Spaceflight Simulator Game\Mods\Custom Assets\Parts".​
For texture packs: Texture packs consist in a folder containing several files. That folder must be placed into "Spaceflight Simulator Game\Mods\Custom Assets\Texture Packs".​

It says it's a virus! Are you sure it is safe?

You can have such alert for dll files. Your browser or your antivirus warns you based on the dll extension, not the actual file content. Those files contain executable code, which makes them a potential support for a malware, but it doesn't necessarily mean it is a malware.
As a general advice, if you don't trust a download source it's recommended to scan those files with an antivirus to be safe: right click on the file, then you should have the option to analyze it with either Windows Defender or your antivirus if you have one.
In practice, if you ask me, the modders represent a very small community, they all know eachother and have proven to be trustworthy with time. And of course we would not allow any virus to be hosted on the forum.

What is the old mod loader section?

The old mod loader/obsolete mods sections (see here) contain Dani's mod loader and a collection of mods that work with it. You will also find some versions of mods that were compatible with the earlier versions of the official mod loader (up to version 1.5.7.3). All of this is now obsolete, mods from this section are NOT compatible with the current mod loader. Please don't try to install them, they won't work. You'll find a working version of those mods in the current section.

I installed a mod but it doesn't work!

• First check that you installed the mod correctly: re-read the installation instructions, and verify that each file has been placed in the correct folder.
  • Make sure you restart the game after installing your mod. The game only checks for new mods at startup, so this is necessary.
  • Some mods have dependencies and require that you install another mod to make them work. This is normally explained in the instructions. The most notable cases are:
    • Most mods require UITools as a dependency. It's available by default, just make sure you activate it in your mod loader menu.
    • Some custom parts require the electricity parts pack by N2O4
  • Check that your mod is compatible with your current game version. If you downloaded mods from the old mod loader version or from the obsolete mod section, those are not compatible with the embedded mod loader.
  • If the game has been updated since the latest mod version, it's possible that the mod is not compatible anymore and needs an update. You'll have to wait for the modder to update his mod.
  • Conversely, make sure your game is up to date (just launch Steam, it automatically checks and updates the game if needed): some mods have an auto-update capability, and an updated mod may not work with an outdated version of the game.
Those actions are normally enough to correct any problem, but in some rare cases you may have to perform those additional actions:
  • From your game directory, go under Spaceflight Simulator\Spaceflight Simulator Game\Saving\Settings, and delete ModsSettings.txt. Don't worry, it will be automatically recreated the next time you launch your game.
  • If you suspect you made something wrong, verify your file integrity just in case (see following question).
Of course, don't hesitate to ask if you can't find the solution by yourself.
If you suspect a bug, first check if it has already been reported. If not, then please inform the modder and give him as many informations as possible to help him to investigate.

I messed up with my game files! Help!

Don't panic, it happens. If you accidentally deleted a game file or damaged the game installation in any way, go to your Steam library, right-click on Spaceflight Simulator, and choose Properties:
VerifyIntegrity1.png

Then in the panel that opens, go to the Installed files panel, and click Verify integrity of game files. Any missing file will be restored:
VerifyIntegrity2.png

Last edited:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Here are a few more questions and answers, more directed at mods themselves.

I'm new, what mod should I consider?

Most mods are valuable in themselves. However, your choice will highly depend on what you like to do in SFS. We've listed here, by category, the mods and parts packs that are, according to us, the most worthy to be considered.

Please note that not all mods or custom parts packs are in the list. The purpose was to list the most valuable ones, but others might be worth considering too. Modding is a tough activity, and all modders' work deserves respect, but it's logical that we favor in priority the best thought out and those into which the most work was invested.

MODS

Bp editing
  • Build settings and Part editor: Those mods are complementary and make available a simple interface to perform most bp edit operations ingame in just a few clicks.
  • Part Text: an advanced variant for more in-depth blueprint edition; allows you to modify each part from a panel as if you were editing the bp file.
  • Image cover mod: Not a bp editing tool, but allows you to load and display an image on the background of your build space. This is useful to help you to recreate real rockets/probes in SFS.
  • Texturable: Allows to apply textures to many parts that are not texturable otherwise. Also works with custom textures!
Navigation
  • ANAIS (Advanced NAvigation Innovative System): replaces the native navigation system with a much more powerful and reliable one.
  • Aero Trajectory: adds aerodynamic trajectories to the map view for precise landings/aero-captures.
  • Delta-V calculator: shows your rocket ΔV in real time ingame.
  • Smart SAS: Maintains automatically the orientation of your rocket following the direction you defined through a simple interface.
Quality of Life
  • VanillaUpgrades: Displays additional flight information and offers many enhanced settings - a must have.
  • Object Search Mod: Allows to search for planets through a menu and automatically focus on them.
  • Zoom Keys: Adds a keybind for zooming
Advanced data
  • FSI Info Overload: a very complete mod that gives access to advanced information like center of mass, colliders, hit boxes, aero overlay and many other things.
Enhanced physics
  • Warpinator: a teleportation mod, allows to teleport yourself to another planet (in orbit or on surface), or to another ship's location.
  • Gliding heat shields: gives heat shields a lift force, allowing the player to adjust their trajectory during reentry.
  • Forceful fuel tanks: adds explosion physics to fuel tanks.

CUSTOM PARTS

Custom parts packs are meant to add new parts to the game, or even bring some new mechanisms to it.

Additional parts
  • Electricity part pack: brings back electricity as it existed in the old versions, and the parts associated to it (RTGs, batteries...). This pack is necessary to use many other packs as engines that use electricity are based on it.
  • MoreParts: a very complete mod that adds many features like colonies, telecommunications (ARPANET), resource mining, and original parts like balloons, rotors, antennas and more. A whole extension by itself.
  • PicoSpace Industries' Utility Pack: a large pack that adds some unique parts, like cargo bays, petal fairings, alternative parachutes and many others.
  • Heat shield tiles: some heat resistant parts to coat your rocket.
  • Realistic docking ports NASA: More detailed docking ports.
  • Astronauts and cosmonauts

Recreations
Additional engines
Exotic engines
Miscellaneous
  • Lasers mod: an original parts pack featuring lasers as weapons.

Are there some interesting combinations of mods?

Yes, some mods have been designed to work with eachother, making of them a valuable combination. Here are the most interesting combinations:
  • ANAIS, ΔV calculator and smart SAS: they are designed to work together and raise the navigation to a whole new level.
  • Aero Trajectory and Gliding heat shields: Aero Trajectory taking into account the lift from heat shields makes them an excellent pair to assist you for precision landings.
  • Most PicoSpace parts packs: they are designed to work with eachother (except the exotic item pack). This was intentional from EmberSkyMedia that made an amazing job.
  • Mac's Sea Dragon pack, BR-Apollo and New Horizons: New Horizons is an extension of BR-Apollo, and Sea Dragon was designed to be compatible with those.

Those lists were established with the help of other modders and players for objectivity purposes. If you think a mod deserves to be mentioned on the list, don't hesitate to tell us, we will evaluate your proposal.

For reference, in case the forum is down again, you can find a copy of this guide on Steam. This version also includes the links to the repository for each mod so that they can be downloaded even with no access to the forum.

Last edited:

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
some mods don't work with the the update
Yes, this has already be mentioned:
If the game has been updated since the latest mod version, it's possible that the mod is not compatible anymore and needs an update. You'll have to wait for the modder to update his mod.
Also, keep in mind that the latest version is a beta. It's an anticipated access that allows you to test new features before their official release, but it also means that the game is still in evolution, you might encounter bugs and so on.
Subscribing to the beta implies that you accept that risk.

Until the new version is officially released, sticking with the old mod loader is also an option if you want stability.

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
When did we get this Modder badge?

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
what do i do if the mods don't appear (im on modloader beta)
They don't appear in the list? Several possibilities:
  • Are the mods you use compatible with the beta? Mods from the old mod loader won't work.
  • Did you copy the mods into the good folder?
  • If those points are ok, it's probable that the mods you use haven't been ported to the latest beta version. Unfortunately you'll have to wait for the modders to update their mod.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
yeah i'm trying to install BuildSettings mod
This one is compatible, I tested it myself, so I can confirm it works.

Can you confirm you play SFS on Windows and not on Mac?
Have you updated your game to the latest version of the beta?
In which folder did you copy the dll?

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
i'm on windows 11

yes

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Spaceflight Simulator\Spaceflight Simulator Game\Mods
That seems correct. The only difference for me is that I use Windows 10, so I don't know if that's an issue with windows 11... Did you manage to get other mods working?

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
I use Windows 11 and have had no problems whatsoever

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
ok i reinstalled windows and it still doesn't work
Well, you've tried everything! At that point I have no idea :confused:

One last question, after you dropped the dll into the Mods folder and launched the game, was the dll moved into a subfolder named after the mod? If not, it means that the game didn't detect the mod.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
how to make custom textures
I don't know that myself, but there's an example in the Texture packs folder mentionned in the post. You can also download one of the existing texture packs and look at its content. It's not very complicated, you just need an image for the texture itself and to set a few parameters in a configuration file.

Currently having problem with the latest beta.
My crashes as soon as the main menu shows up. I have no mods installed, and also don’t have the old modloader installed. I play on my M1 MacBook.
Any solutions to this problem?

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Currently having problem with the latest beta.
My crashes as soon as the main menu shows up. I have no mods installed, and also don’t have the old modloader installed. I play on my M1 MacBook.
Any solutions to this problem?
Macs are untested so no not at the moment. So do the right thing and go to windows ;)